Is this a dumb idea? (long)

foxybronx

I want to have my friend start doing my touch ups...She has been doing her own, and her sisters touch up for years. If i go to her i will end up saving a ton of money (since i like my hair with some curl left i end up paying $50 every 3 months just for it to be underprocessed) and with my regular stylist i have to argue with her because she is very scissor happy.

If my friend does my hair i can deep condition it as long as i want, and put anything i want in my hair (i.e, acv rinse) and i can slowly detangle it etc...

BUT the problem is that my friend thinks she is a hair know-it-all, and she doesn't know JACK! For example, she swears relaxer is supposed to go on the edges first because she claims that edges take the longest to process. (WHICH I think is wrong, my crown actually takes the longest, and my edges the quickest) and she thinks that relaxers are a "conditioner" for the hair. (her exact words) She combs her relaxer from the roots to tips, blowdries her hair every wash with her hair dripping wet, and a whole bunch of other dumb stuff.
Now that i am typing this it does seem like a dumb idea.... But should i work with her and have her do it MY way?

Foxy,
fishslap.gif
now come on...it's better to pay the $50 and have hair on your head, than to save money and be baldheaded. Whatcha plan on doing with the extra money anyway, buy a wig???
laugh.gif
Who knows if your friend will undermine your progress. I told you I had a hairdresser for you if you really weren't satisfied with yours....

wow foxy...I wouldn't make that move...I'd say get you hair professionally relaxed and save on the weekly/biweekly maintenance.

1...you mention you friend does her own hair...but what does it look like? how's she doing with her own stuff?

2- the edges take longer to process...now that's a HUGH red flag

3-relaxer= conditioner ??????

I really would say NO absolutely...don't go there with her and God forbid something happens and she over processes...you get major problems how is that going to effect your relationship???

Foxy,
I would NOT trust her to do your hair. Never let a know it all hairdresser who doesn't know JACK in your hair. They might agree verbally do it the way you like but once they're in your hair, it's a free for all. I know too many know it all hairdressers and their work to know I'd never let one do anything to my hair.
My advice is to take AJamericanDiva's stylist's name.
smile.gif
It's worth it to pay a bit more to maintain your hair than it is to save money and see your progress go down the drain instead.

oh my...do not make that move. Does your friend still have hair on her head. Anyway, I would stay with the hairstylist. If you think 50 dollars is bad, I pay 70.

girl.. save yourself the trouble. i know you would hate to have to beat ol girl down for combing a relaxer through your hair...

Hecks, no!!!I could see if her practices are up to par, but she sounds like shes kinda in the darks ages. I wouldn't mess with it.

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
Foxy,
fishslap.gif
now come on...it's better to pay the $50 and have hair on your head, than to save money and be baldheaded. Whatcha plan on doing with the extra money anyway, buy a wig???
laugh.gif
Who knows if your friend will undermine your progress. I told you I had a hairdresser for you if you really weren't satisfied with yours....

[/ QUOTE ]

Diva gurl you are wrong!!!
lachen70.gif
Right but sooo wrong.. I had enough setbacks to last a lifetime and here i go scheming for another one. Sooo..does your stylist follow all the steps in the affirm system? Because some don't know you are supposed to condition with the 5 n 1 before you neutralize...If she does i am there! How much does she charge?
Thanks for ur advice minuse the black eye you gave me
tongue.gif

Thanks for your advice ccd..I do the weekly maintainence myself for sure, i was just trying to cut corners and not rely on a stylist at all but you are 100% right..and i will stick with a stylist for my perms.

My friends hair looks great but her hair is NO WHERE as thick as it used to be. It is about 1/4 thick as it once was. Her hair keeps breaking so she keeps cutting it short. But that is what keeps it looking great (because she gets it cut once a month)
A setback would affect our relationship, no doubt about it.

Tai,
Thanks
smile.gif
Your right about that, plenty of time they nodded and agreed to what i was saying around and then turnt around and did something completely different. I am going to Diva's stylist.

[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:
girl.. save yourself the trouble. i know you would hate to have to beat ol girl down for combing a relaxer through your hair...

[/ QUOTE ]

You ain't lying
hammer.gif
lachen70.gif

GIVE IT UP!!
Choice one: $50 /PROFESSIONAL/ Slightly underprocessed/ scissor-happy stylist
Choice two: $-50 /unprofessional/ Perm on ends! / COMBS RELAXER from root to tip!

OK****Obviously choice one seems less severe than choice two with this back-door stylist. It's good to save money, but it's better to save hair!!

[ QUOTE ]
foxybronx said:
I want to have my friend start doing my touch ups...She has been doing her own, and her sisters touch up for years. If i go to her i will end up saving a ton of money (since i like my hair with some curl left i end up paying $50 every 3 months just for it to be underprocessed) and with my regular stylist i have to argue with her because she is very scissor happy.

If my friend does my hair i can deep condition it as long as i want, and put anything i want in my hair (i.e, acv rinse) and i can slowly detangle it etc...

BUT the problem is that my friend thinks she is a hair know-it-all, and she doesn't know JACK! For example, she swears relaxer is supposed to go on the edges first because she claims that edges take the longest to process. (WHICH I think is wrong, my crown actually takes the longest, and my edges the quickest) and she thinks that relaxers are a "conditioner" for the hair. (her exact words) She combs her relaxer from the roots to tips, blowdries her hair every wash with her hair dripping wet, and a whole bunch of other dumb stuff.
Now that i am typing this it does seem like a dumb idea.... But should i work with her and have her do it MY way?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think you answered your own question.
wink.gif

...Just to add...I had a friend at school that relaxed her own hair every four weeks. I never seen her with new growth. Although she seemed to thrive doing her own hair, my hair did not respond the same way when she did it (burns and scabs) and I found it more beneficial to go to a professional.

Back