Is This A Damaged Strand?

Curls&Justice417

I would say that most of my hair strands are all pretty consistent in texture. Some strands are fine, and I have some coarser strands in my crown. But some strands feel bumpy. One of my shed hairs looked like this. I flat ironed last weekend and I thought maybe it was a strand that didn't get straight all the way...?o_O

The strands that I find like this are always the thicker, coarse strands. So I'm just curious lol
Sorry if this sounds dumb. Sending pictures straight from my phone so sorry if they're too big or blurry:blush:

Attachments

• IMAG0346.jpg
    IMAG0346.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0347.jpg
    IMAG0347.jpg
    824.9 KB · Views: 70
Top 1 looks like it because some parts looks thick while others look tampered off to thin. Although, it would have been a better pic to see the entire length of the hair shaft.
It's a long, shed hair.

What makes you think it's damaged.... That little crinkle? That's normal especially for textured hair. Looks fine to me.
Well some parts of the strand are thicker then it gets thin, then thick again. I've just heard that could be a sign of damaged hair.

My hairs usually look like that after a light flat iron. If you have textured hair, the shape of the strand is flatter, more like a ribbon than straight hair which is rounder, like a spaghetti noodle. So when our hair "kinks," i.e. twists around it's axis, it may look thinner where the kinks are because of the ribbon shape. It's not damage, it's just how it looks. Here is a really good video that visually explains what I'm trying to say
Unless your hair is not naturally kinky or curly, I wouldn't worry about that little crinkle! :D
Hope that helped!

That makes perfect sense! The strands that always have those crinkles are kinkier, more coarse parts of my head, like near my crown. I had always assumed it had something to do with the texture and curl pattern but I get a little paranoid sometimes lmao.

Back