Is there such a thing...

SouthernBeauty

As too many vitamins? I take 3 b complex 2 Hair, nails, and skin (dollar general brand), 2 Fish,Flaxseed oil, and Borage and 1 b12 Mega dot. I know that there is b12 in b complex but it gives me that boost in the morning. I ended up with some of these vitamins when I was diagnosed with Alopecia. I was so frantic I just went and bought everything. How do I narrow them down because I look and feel like a druggie!

Yes, their is a such thing as taking too many vitamin, only because you can get you recommend dose for what you eat. The best thing to consult a doctor on what is a good recommend dose for you body type.

There is a such thing exactly. You can overdose on a particular, which can become toxic in your bloodstream. You body was designed to get vitamins and minerals from food not pills. I would cut back on the b12 as you may be overdosing on it. Fish oil and flaxseed oil pills are designed to deliever OMegas so you dont necessarily need both.

Yes. I read that you shouldn't take more than 250% of the DV of Folic Acid and once I added up the amount in my B-100 and multi V I was over that limit. I found this site too http://www.chemo.net/newpage35.htm. You should calculate how many grams, milligrams, IU, micrograms you are taking and double check with your PCP.

I take (1) Multi Vitamin Tablet, (1/2 tsp) MSM in my orange juice, (1) Flax Oil Tablet. I alternate a B Complex and Biotin tablet every other day.

There is a such thing exactly. You can overdose on a particular, which can become toxic in your bloodstream. You body was designed to get vitamins and minerals from food not pills. I would cut back on the b12 as you may be overdosing on it. Fish oil and flaxseed oil pills are designed to deliever OMegas so you dont necessarily need both.

The Fish and Flaxseed and Borage oil is all in one pill by Spring Valley...should I just cut that whole pill out?

Yes. I read that you shouldn't take more than 250% of the DV of Folic Acid and once I added up the amount in my B-100 and multi V I was over that limit. I found this site too http://www.chemo.net/newpage35.htm. You should calculate how many grams, milligrams, IU, micrograms you are taking and double check with your PCP.

I take (1) Multi Vitamin Tablet, (1/2 tsp) MSM in my orange juice, (1) Flax Oil Tablet. I alternate a B Complex and Biotin tablet every other day.

Thanks for the link! I needed this!

I mean brands. I need to see the profile of each supplement, the type of source like is the vitamin a from beta carotene or retinol palmate......

Oh sorry!
The Fish, Flaxseed, and Borage Oil is 1 pill by Spring Valley I take it 2x a day
Supper Omega Blend 1200mg
Omega 3 Fatty Acids 375mg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids 187mg
Omega 9 Fatty Acids 43mg

The B complex I take 3x a day by Nature Made
Vitamin C 300mg
Thiamin 15mg
Riboflavin 10.2mg
Niacin 50 mg
Vitamin B6 5mg
Pantothenic Acid 10 mg

The Mega Dots B12 is by Twinlab I take once a day it has 5000mcg

The Hair, Skin and Nails is by Dollar General I take 2x a day
Vitamin A 5000IU
Vitamin C 120 mg
Vitamin D 200 IU
Vitamin E 60 IU
Thiamin 1.5 mg
Riboflavin 1.7mg
Niacin 20 mg
Folic Acid 200 mcg
Biotin 2500mcg
Calcium 200mg
Phosphorus 100mg
Zinc 15mg

I guess this is what u mean...I hope

I thought you couldn't overdose on B and C vitamins because they are pee'd out as well as vitamin A from Beta Carotene. Vitamin A from retinol palmate is dangerous:nono:

I thought you couldn't overdose on B and C vitamins because they are pee'd out as well as vitamin A from Beta Carotene. Vitamin A from retinol palmate is dangerous:nono:

Okay call me stupid... but what is Beta Carotene and where do I find that info on the bottle?

As everyone has said, yes the supps that aren't water-soluble can be toxic. Not to mention, some like too much Vitamin A can lead to the opposite of what you want: hair loss. While the water soluble ones just get peed away--a waste of money and extra unnecessary work for your kidneys

The best thing you can do is find a multi with most of the things you want in it in the quantities close to what you're going for and take that. Then add flax or MSM. Or find supps that complement each other...so you are staying within safe quantities.

I don't know if you know this but taking too many supps is not the secret to growing your hair. Taking supps that your body is lacking IS the secret to growing healthy hair. So if you're eating right, you're probably getting a lot of the supplements and just need a regular ol' multi or if you are really determined to focus on hair, a hair or hair/skin/nails supp. Multi's are created in ways that the different elements complement each other so that they are being absorbed and used well.

For what's it's worth, when I joined the forum I tried to keep up with everyone, buying whatever someone said was good. Didn't make an ounce of difference. Returned to my old regimen: multi, garlic, EFA, acidophilus and haven't looked back. Once in a while I might throw in MSM not just because I know it's good for hair and skin but it's also for my joints. As Neith shared before, total health is what gets you healthy, growing hair. Because your body will first take what it needs before giving anything to your hair. So rather than try to "feed your hair", feed your body and see your hair get its share.

OK, ignore my ramble. I just read your supps. They don't look that bad. I thought you were taking 2 brands of B complex. Two brands of hair vitamins.... You get the idea. But I do hope there was some useful info for someone else. :giggle:

Oh sorry!
The Fish, Flaxseed, and Borage Oil is 1 pill by Spring Valley I take it 2x a day
Supper Omega Blend 1200mg
Omega 3 Fatty Acids 375mg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids 187mg
Omega 9 Fatty Acids 43mg

The B complex I take 3x a day by Nature Made
Vitamin C 300mg
Thiamin 15mg
Riboflavin 10.2mg
Niacin 50 mg
Vitamin B6 5mg
Pantothenic Acid 10 mg

The Mega Dots B12 is by Twinlab I take once a day it has 5000mcg

The Hair, Skin and Nails is by Dollar General I take 2x a day
Vitamin A 5000IU
Vitamin C 120 mg
Vitamin D 200 IU
Vitamin E 60 IU
Thiamin 1.5 mg
Riboflavin 1.7mg
Niacin 20 mg
Folic Acid 200 mcg
Biotin 2500mcg
Calcium 200mg
Phosphorus 100mg
Zinc 15mg

I guess this is what u mean...I hope

I would drop the B-12 dots. If you are having that many issues with your B12, you should go to a doctor since that is a form of anemia. Your HSN vitamin has a decent profile as does your Omega Fatty Acid supplement.

If I were you (again, just my opinion) I would drop the B-12 dots, finish the HSN vitamin and then purchase a comprehensive multi, preferably one you have to take more than once a day and complement it with a multi mineral complex, taking the half dose.

As everyone has said, yes the supps that aren't water-soluble can be toxic. Not to mention, some like too much Vitamin A can lead to the opposite of what you want: hair loss. While the water soluble ones just get peed away--a waste of money and extra unnecessary work for your kidneys

The best thing you can do is find a multi with most of the things you want in it in the quantities close to what you're going for and take that. Then add flax or MSM. Or find supps that complement each other...so you are staying within safe quantities.

I don't know if you know this but taking too many supps is not the secret to growing your hair. Taking supps that your body is lacking IS the secret to growing healthy hair. So if you're eating right, you're probably getting a lot of the supplements and just need a regular ol' multi or if you are really determined to focus on hair, a hair or hair/skin/nails supp. Multi's are created in ways that the different elements complement each other so that they are being absorbed and used well.

For what's it's worth, when I joined the forum I tried to keep up with everyone, buying whatever someone said was good. Didn't make an ounce of difference. Returned to my old regimen: multi, garlic, EFA, acidophilus and haven't looked back. Once in a while I might throw in MSM not just because I know it's good for hair and skin but it's also for my joints. As Neith shared before, total health is what gets you healthy, growing hair. Because your body will first take what it needs before giving anything to your hair. So rather than try to "feed your hair", feed your body and see your hair get its share.

Okay!! I can get with this...Thanks! I will get a multivitamin....and keep my flaxseed, fish, and borage oil pill. Thanks again!

I would drop the B-12 dots. If you are having that many issues with your B12, you should go to a doctor since that is a form of anemia. Your HSN vitamin has a decent profile as does your Omega Fatty Acid supplement.

If I were you (again, just my opinion) I would drop the B-12 dots, finish the HSN vitamin and then purchase a comprehensive multi, preferably one you have to take more than once a day and complement it with a multi mineral complex, taking the half dose.

Thanks I am so glad I asked! I will drop the dots and pick a multivitamin tomorrow. Thanks again EVERYONE!

Back