IS THERE ANYONE WHO THINKS ANEMIA IS THE CAUSE OF THINNING HAIR?

MRJ1972

The reason that I ask is because I wore a sew in for 3 years in hopes of giving my hair a break. I stretched my relaxer during this time, with the exception of the hairline and nape. Although I retained lots of length, my hair was extremely thin after the removal of the sew in..I am anemic and successfully dodged my doctor who wanted me to have a blood transfusion :look:, but I have read a few articles that suggest that people who are anemic experience thinning hair.

I am convinced this is my problem because I dont abuse my hair with heat and chemicals, yet it is sooo thin...Even my mother and sister, who are cosmetologists are :perplexed at the condition of my hair- although my mother has suggested that I let my hair "breathe" and leave the weaves alone!

Comments? Suggestions?

I definitely think anemia has alot to do with thinning hair. My hair has always been short and knotty in my nape area since I started getting relaxers in the 7th grade. That started the trouble and then I stopped eating red meat in college. Dr.'s have always told me I was anemic, but I never related it to my always thin, breakage prone hair. Even now (keep in mind I'm recovering from a hair setback) when I look at my strand, some parts are thin and some are even thinner.

Overall, my hair is thin and has no substance to it. Thank God I happen to have a lot of follicles.

I'm making myself get to the dermatologist to see what they have to say. I also started taking Blood Builders to see how this affects my overall energy and hair. I'm on my second bottle. Blood Builders don't constipate me and I read such great reviews about this product online. It'll probably take six months to really see a difference in my hair, but I'm expecting a great turnaround. I'm also looking to see how the Blood Builders will affect my nape.

Ok. First, STOP DODGING THE DOCTOR! Had to yell it at you (all in love). :yep:

Yes ma'am! Anemia can cause thinning hair (might not be the only culprit though). I think you should visit your physician and have blood work done, because there are other things that can contribute to thinning hair. I've recently started taking iron pills at the suggestion of my Doc. and I've seen a dramatic change in a very short time so you could try that as well. But seriously, don't play with your health. Go see a doctor. Being told that you might need a transfusion is not something to play with. :nono:

Last edited:
I've had sickle cell anemia my whole life and don't have thin hair...although maybe if it's a recent thing it could affect you differently...

...don't mind me.

I've been anemic for the last 20 years and have never had thin hair. I guess it could effect people differently. I wonder if the thinning could be from wearing sew-ins?.

Anemia may have caused some of the thinning...but how did you take care of your hair under the weave?

You relaxed your hair continuously throughout the three years but were you dcing, moisturizing, using protein? Were your weaves tight? Weaves can cause a lot of thinning and the thread can cut right through your hair if it's weak and unhealthy.

I think your haircare is a bigger factor than the anemia, but you definitely need to see a doctor and make sure you're healthy.

I'm anemic too and I don't have thinning hair. My hair is fine, soft and silky and I have head full of it... so for ME, being anemic hasn't caused a problem and I hope it never does. Before being introduced to this board my problems were relaxing my hair (I'm now natural going on 2 years of no relaxers) and the flat iron!

I am ashamed to say that I didnt have do much to my hair with the sew in. I washed weekly but there was no moisturizing, no deep conditioning, etc., and the braids were not tight.

I wanted to believe it was the anemia:ohwell:...I have a doctor's appointment in the morning and I will have my iron levels checked. I have been taking my iron pills religiously since my last visit, so hopefully my blood count is up!

I definitely think anemia has alot to do with thinning hair. My hair has always been short and knotty in my nape area since I started getting relaxers in the 7th grade. That started the trouble and then I stopped eating red meat in college. Dr.'s have always told me I was anemic, but I never related it to my always thin, breakage prone hair. Even now (keep in mind I'm recovering from a hair setback) when I look at my strand, some parts are thin and some are even thinner.

Overall, my hair is thin and has no substance to it. Thank God I happen to have a lot of follicles.

I'm making myself get to the dermatologist to see what they have to say. I also started taking Blood Builders to see how this affects my overall energy and hair. I'm on my second bottle. Blood Builders don't constipate me and I read such great reviews about this product online. It'll probably take six months to really see a difference in my hair, but I'm expecting a great turnaround. I'm also looking to see how the Blood Builders will affect my nape.

And what is the kinky nape about??? The left side of my nape is VERY kinky - even after relaxer application- and it will not grow...currently about 1 inch, if that :nono: and the rest of my hair is almost APL...

And what is the kinky nape about??? The left side of my nape is VERY kinky - even after relaxer application- and it will not grow...currently about 1 inch, if that :nono: and the rest of my hair is almost APL...

Are you relaxing your nape everytime you relax?

well I've heard anemia can cause lots of shedding so I guess it makes sense it would cause your hair to thin.

BUT I've heard people say they wore a weave and there hair got really thin. So it could be one of the other or maybe both that caused your hair to thin.

well I've heard anemia can cause lots of shedding so I guess it makes sense it would cause your hair to thin.

BUT I've heard people say they wore a weave and there hair got really thin. So it could be one of the other or maybe both that caused your hair to thin.

Agreed.:grin:

Same thing happened to me. I've been shedding for years. I've have a lot of hair but 18 - 24 months ago, it started to shed like mad.

Manage to correct the issue and, stop the excessive shedding recently by taking an iron supplement.

Are you relaxing your nape everytime you relax?

I was relaxing because it was soo kinky and I thought that my relaxers were not processing in that area....The breakage in this area started a long time ago and that area always broke off when my hair reached a certain length, normally SL and then I would have to cut it and start over...

I was relaxing because it was soo kinky and I thought that my relaxers were not processing in that area....The breakage in this area started a long time ago and that area always broke off when my hair reached a certain length, normally SL and then I would have to cut it and start over...

Try relaxing it every other relaxer, that would give it a chance to recover.

I am severely anemic.... ( i have dodged dr's too - but no more....but thin hair can manifest itself for various reasons!
Take care of yourself - and Kill :jaws: the sew ins...

Back