Is there any way to get Thick Hair???

I AGREE WITH HAIRMASTER MAYBE U SHOULD GIVE THE CHEMICALS A BREAK. MY LAST RELAXER WAS JAN/2005 THOUGH MY HAIR IS NOT THIN I NOTICED IM SPRUTING NEW HAIRS ON MY HAIRLINE AND THE CROWN THAT WERENT THERE BEFORE. THE REASON IM GOING NATURAL IS CUZ MY SCALP CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE; MY DANDRUFF WAS FIERCE! :look: NOW I HAVE NO MORE UNSIGHTLY FLAKES, NO MORE SCRATCHING, NO MORE CRYING. :)

My hair was flat and thinning on one side from wrapping it for so long. I sometimes put it in a bun on top of my head then loosely wrap a scarf around it. :yep:

wyldcurlz said:
Lorraine,

why did you stop wrapping your hair? how do you think wrapping contributed to not having thick hair? Are you talking about wrapping it at night? I'd love to know. I'm one of those who wraps nightly in a silk scarf, but its that's potentially damaging to my goal, I don't want to do it.

please let me know! thanks!

Not leaving the relaxer on your hair long
Wearing a wig or weave for a small amount of time to feign the thick look :look:
Eating a diet rich in protein and complex carbohydrates
---
Sometimes genetics gives us a bad hand. I think you should work with what you've got. As it gets healthier, it will maybe get thicker and longer.

karmelsassy said:
How do you create pin curls??? I'd like to try this tonight.

It's kind of hard to describe with out pics but the best way to describe it is:

Take a section of your hair that's curled and wrap it around (clockwise direction) until it's flat on your head...the curls should look something like this

CRW_8639_SBS1_250h.jpg

CRW_8640_SBS3_250h.jpg

...then secure the curl with a bobby pin.

angaliquew said:
It's kind of hard to describe with out pics but the best way to describe it is:

Take a section of your hair that's curled and wrap it around (clockwise direction) until it's flat on your head...the curls should look something like this

CRW_8639_SBS1_250h.jpg

CRW_8640_SBS3_250h.jpg

...then secure the curl with a bobby pin.

Thank u! I'm going to give this a try!

My only advice is to find out what is causing ur hair to break. I find that doing a pre-poo w/egg yolk stops it for that wash period. Try that for a while. Shouldnt fail.

Lovelylocs said:
My only advice is to find out what is causing ur hair to break. I find that doing a pre-poo w/egg yolk stops it for that wash period. Try that for a while. Shouldnt fail.

Thanks! I'll try that as well.

Hi Karmelsassy,
Originally u said that your hair was so thin you could see through it. My crown area is very thin and sadly for e it is hereditary, so I do try to slow the process. I also use the Panthanol that was suggested on this thread and it really does help. For maximum coverage I use Hairsoreal. Its very tiny fibers that you can sprinkle onto your hair and it covers the thin areas, and is not noticable, it'll stay in until you shampoo again.
http://www.add-hair.com/hairsoreal.htm
Hope this helps.

I had this same problem, my ends were extremely thin but I realized that stretching my relaxers and doing daily conditioner washes has definitely helped out a lot. I take horsetail vitamins but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with thickness or not.

My hair is also very thin. It got worse about 10 weeks ago when I removed a weave and had major shedding. I take B-5 and silica faithfully. It makes a difference. I also started using Surge daily, again. I jumped on the MTG bandwagon about a month ago and my hair made a major comeback. This is one product I'm going to keep using. I still have a ways to go but 2 months ago I was ready to cry when I took my weave out. Never again, thin hair has to be handled gently and treated like fine lace.

KAddy said:
How frequent do you relax? I know that stretching relaxers isn't for everyone, myself included, but it helps eliminate overprocessing of previously relaxed hair, which if not prevented can lead to thin hair. THe fact that your new growth comes in thick, leads me to think there is some overlapping of relaxing going on, which is thinning your hair.

Also, I agree with giving the wrapping a night a break. I did that and it did help. At night I either pin curl and put on a scarf or have my hair going all back put a few rollers on the ends and put my scarf on.

ITA w/Kaddy. I've never wrapped. When I CW before bed, I tie a scarf over just the top of my head, let the back hang out, then either sleep on my satin pillowcase, or put a bonnet around the back and fold my hair under. When I wake up in the AM it's straight enough to either wear down, or pull back in a pony. This is a nice alternative to wrapping, and it keeps my hair pretty thick.

SouthernGirl said:
ITA w/Kaddy. I've never wrapped. When I CW before bed, I tie a scarf over just the top of my head, let the back hang out, then either sleep on my satin pillowcase, or put a bonnet around the back and fold my hair under. When I wake up in the AM it's straight enough to either wear down, or pull back in a pony. This is a nice alternative to wrapping, and it keeps my hair pretty thick.

Thanks for the advise. I'm actual washing my hair right now. I plan pulling it in 4 ponytails and placing rollers on the ends. Does pulling your hair back at night cause any breakage? I soaked the ponytail holders in olive oil so I'm hoping that there is none.

This post is so informative! karmelsassy I'm right there with you, I have that 4b hair that's very kinky, but very thin at the same time. I mask the thinness with blunt cuts (layers are a no-no), and rinses or semi-permanents like Jazzing (no ammonia or peroxide).

I didn't know wrapping was bad for thin hair. I've been wrapping for months. I wonder, exactly how does wrapping thin the hair?

shunemite said:
This post is so informative! karmelsassy I'm right there with you, I have that 4b hair that's very kinky, but very thin at the same time. I mask the thinness with blunt cuts (layers are a no-no), and rinses or semi-permanents like Jazzing (no ammonia or peroxide).

I didn't know wrapping was bad for thin hair. I've been wrapping for months. I wonder, exactly how does wrapping thin the hair?

For me wrapping also thinned the back of my hair out because I was wrapping in the same direction every night very tightly. I think the key to wrapping is not to wrap in the same direction all the time. I now just put my hair in a loose bun with a satin scarf. Since I stopped wrapping the back has thickened. Plus the fact that I keep the ends well mosturised, wash more frequently & use less heat.

HTH

SouthernGirl said:

This is EXACTLY what I have done off and on for the past year. I have only wrapped my hair about 10 times since last year this time. This technique is really good for my hair also.

Ever since I posted this thread and heard that wrapping could be damaging to the hair, I stopped wrapping. After spraying my roots with surge w/ olive oil and putting elasta mango butter on my ends I put my hair in 2 ponytails and put curlers at the ends. I have to say, my ends feel a lot thicker. :D Maybe wrapping is too much for my hair since it's so thin.

After doing the pin curls does your hair come out straight as if you wrapped it or is it curly?

angaliquew said:
I totally agree with not wrapping your hair every night.
I have natural thick hair, but when I was wrapping it every night it was paper-thin.
Once I stopped wrapping it and started doing pin curls and roller sets, the thickness returned.

Last edited:
I thought that I would add what my stylist told me about my hair when I got a touch up yesterday (I love her, she's great. :) ) She told me that my ends were not thinning, but my hair was breaking in the center, and that made my ends look thinner. She told me that she would probably gradually cut the damage off because cutting it all off at the same time would probably be too drastic.

I have thin hair also, and I use the Biotin hair products by Nexuss which include:
vitamins, conditioners, shampoo, cysteine treatment and styling products.
I also use/do the following:

1. conditioner wash with nexuss/nutregena Triple Moisture
2. infusium leave in/ paul mitchell moisture spray (little of each)/ Or use just a small amount of the Nutregena TM as a leave in (works for me).
3. paul mitchell skinny serum to fight the frizzies
4. wear a plastic conditoner bag a night
5. wear the curly look

I hope this info is useful.

Lorraine said:
Here is what worked for me...

* stimulating my scalp (massaging it)
* stopped wrapping for 6 months
* Applied Surge's Plus 14 each morning and evening
* No heat

I definitley agree with the no heat and the no wrapping. My hair has been the thickest it has been all my life since I stopped doing those two things. To avoid wrapping I just use satin scrunchies at night to put my hair in a lose ponytail and throw a satin scarf on. In the morning I do the caruso rollers if I have to.

Last edited:
karmelsassy said:
My hair is 4a/4b and very thin. Thin to the point where if you look at me from the front with my hair down...u can see straight through my hair :cry: But when it is time for a relaxer...WOOF! My roots are so thick I can't comb it! I've taken all of the advice that I've learned on LHCF and put it to use. I CW once a week and wash with poo once a week. I also deep condition with either Motions CPR or ORS Hair Mayo (mixed with jojoba oil). I already use surge (on my roots) and olive oil and elasta QP Mango Butter on my ends, although I can not use too much because I will look like I have 5 good strands of air :lol: :eek: I stopped using heat about 5 weeks ago. I air dry my hair when wet and I use protective styles during the week. I used to used a curling iron everyday with no type of protection on my hair (I know...this is the casue of it being thin).

My question is is there any product or method I could use to get thick hair???? Please help!!!!!
I noticed some time ago that my natural hair is very thick, but as soon as I get a relaxer (even though it's only on the new growth), my entire head of hair would be very thin and lifeless. Then I started reading about drinking carrot juice, and some of the vitamin supplements people here were taking. So I started doing that, and WOW, did my hair make a drastic change for the better! Even when I get a relaxer now, my hair stays thick. I don't know if it's the carrot juice or the vitamins, but whatever it is, it's working fabulously!

karmelsassy said:
My hair is 4a/4b and very thin. Thin to the point where if you look at me from the front with my hair down...u can see straight through my hair :cry: But when it is time for a relaxer...WOOF! My roots are so thick I can't comb it!
So your hair is thin but your new growth is thick?
What relaxer are you using? Could you be overprocessing your hair?

CatSuga said:
karmelsassy said:
My hair is 4a/4b and very thin. Thin to the point where if you look at me from the front with my hair down...u can see straight through my hair :cry: But when it is time for a relaxer...WOOF! My roots are so thick I can't comb it!
So your hair is thin but your new growth is thick?
What relaxer are you using? Could you be overprocessing your hair?

My last relaxer (2 weeks ago), I switched to Affirm Mild. Prior to that I was using Motions Mild for about 2 years.

I really believe that wrapping my hair was thinning it out. Once I stopped wrapping it so often I noticed that my ends felt thicker :clapping: . I haven't wrapped my hair in 2 weeks. The only reason I wrapped it today is because I just did my first rollerset :yay: .

I would think that if anyone relaxes their hair the NG would be thicker since it's unrelaxed. Also, I put motions products to rest it was the main cause of thinning for my daughter, mine and anyone that I new used it, they no longer do. I don't know what's in it, but over a period of time it leaves the hair dry, brittle and thin. I'm not sure about their new line of products- herbal or silk one but motions in the mustard yellow bottles are a no noooooo for me and any of my clients. Take a look at the ingredients in your products u use and see if you may need to replace some and which ones you should keep. The wrapping thing is new to me I always loved to wrap this way I didn't use heat until the next shampoo, plus it always protected my hairline from thinning. I'll give the no wrapping a try. :ohwell:
karmelsassy said:
CatSuga said:
karmelsassy said:

My last relaxer (2 weeks ago), I switched to Affirm Mild. Prior to that I was using Motions Mild for about 2 years.

I really believe that wrapping my hair was thinning it out. Once I stopped wrapping it so often I noticed that my ends felt thicker :clapping: . I haven't wrapped my hair in 2 weeks. The only reason I wrapped it today is because I just did my first rollerset :yay: .

Before I started stretching I also had thin hair after relaxed but now since I stretch at least 12-16 weeks my hair is thicker. Also I have been conditioner washing every other day when not in braids and wearing protective styles.

u should try the okra-carrot infused castor oil. my hair was already thick, but after using this stuff along with Surge, my hair is EXTREMELY thick. it really works. just boil some okra and carrots (yes, from the grocery store) in castor oil for a couple of hours and strain really well. u could add msm and biotin to the surge, or whatever u like. i usually mix half castor oil and half surge in a spray bottle and spray my scalp 1-2 times a day. i saw results in like 4 weeks!

VinDieselsWifey said:
u should try the okra-carrot infused castor oil. my hair was already thick, but after using this stuff along with Surge, my hair is EXTREMELY thick. it really works. just boil some okra and carrots (yes, from the grocery store) in castor oil for a couple of hours and strain really well. u could add msm and biotin to the surge, or whatever u like. i usually mix half castor oil and half surge in a spray bottle and spray my scalp 1-2 times a day. i saw results in like 4 weeks!

Now THIS sounds interesting. Do you have to use specific measurements (how many carrot/how much okra/how much castor oil) or can I use whatever amount I want to use? I don't want to use too much (looking like I'm about to boil bugs bunny in a pot.. :lol: )

never heard of the okra-carrot infused castor oil.......so when making this concoction.....i would boil okra and carrots in 1/2 cup of castor oil??? would 2 hours be enough time...

Back