Question Is there an IP blocker on this forum?

CrueltyFree

I received a message about a failed login in attempts and I was given the IP address of the attacker. I'm worried. :nono:

What do you mean by IP blocker?

There are certain IPs that are blocked from this forum. That means that if your IP is one of those, you will not be able to access the forum.

The forum software does not display IP information to anyone. If I were to guess, that would be something from your computer or your browser/firewall.

Any additional information you can provide would help greatly i.e. what URL did you try to access, etc.

Thanks

I'm not really sure what an IP blocker is. I just got this email message from LHCF.

Someone has tried to log into your account on Long Hair Care Forum with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: (#omitted)

All the best,
Long Hair Care Forum

This couldn't have been me because I know my password and I rarely log out. I'm assuming someone was trying to hack into my account. I was looking up "forum hacking" on google and this was an issue on several other forums. I was wondering if there was a way to prevent this from happening again? Like blocking the IP addresses that have been unsuccessfully trying to access accounts after a certain number of tries. What am I supposed to do with the IP address that was trying to access my account? I looked it up on an IP locator and the offender is in PA

There is no real way of stopping people trying to hack a forum. Since it is really easy for someone to make a mistake and get locked out, banning IP addresses can work against the forum since IP addresses are shared by a number of computers most of the times. So effectively a person that wants to cause havoc could impersonate an IP address, get that blocked and move on to the next one.

Please open a ticket (Contact Us top right or link on my signature) and let me know of the IP. I will check it out against the forum IPs and see whether we can find something more.

Back