is there a way to strip color out of my hair?

celiabug

my hair is dyed black and then red overtop (it still pretty much looks black) and i want to go honey blonde :look: but every time i try to lighten it, it still remains black!! is there a way i can strip out all the color in my hair??

celiabug said:
my hair is dyed black and then red overtop (it still pretty much looks black) and i want to go honey blonde :look: but every time i try to lighten it, it still remains black!! is there a way i can strip out all the color in my hair??

Have you tried bleaching it?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using LHCF

I've heard really cheap, drying shampoos can help lift color, but from what I understand black dye is hard to get out. I think bleaching, other than cutting off the hair, is going to give you the results you're looking for but depending on how light you're trying to go, you may want to do it in stages.

I believe you will also need toner, as bleaching black(dyed) hair tens to go orangey-red.

I've bleached a section before and the roots turn but then the ends are always a dark brown and it doesn't look nice

Black is damn near impossible to get out. Sally's has hair dye stripper, but you need a license. I used to also see kits at the drugstore to lift dye ( even used one once), but haven't seen them recently.

ETA: drugstore.com sells hair color remover, I just checked. Im on my cell phone so I can't paste a link, but it's under the hair color category.

Last edited:
You can bleach it but might get unpredictable results because black hair dye has violet tones in it. It will turn your hair a lighter brown/red at best.

You can buy color remover without a license from sally's. I had to use some by Loreal Color Zap, for my clip extensions. They were jet black and I lightened to a lighter brown.

Stripping color can definitely dry out your hair though because it dried my extenions out a bit. I can't imagine bleaching after doing that.

Honestly, if you don't want to get breakage, I would go to a stylist...I have heard many white girls say they damaged their hair by going from dark brown to blonde. Our hair is already weak, so just keep that in mind. When going lighter colors, sometimes it really pays to use a professional...at least if you're concerned about maintaining length.

Google going "dyed black to blonde." You'll find some helpful stories on this.

candy626 said:
You can bleach it but might get unpredictable results because black hair dye has violet tones in it. It will turn your hair a lighter brown/red at best.

You can buy color remover without a license from sally's. I had to use some by Loreal Color Zap, for my clip extensions. They were jet black and I lightened to a lighter brown.

Stripping color can definitely dry out your hair though because it dried my extenions out a bit. I can't imagine bleaching after doing that.

Honestly, if you don't want to get breakage, I would go to a stylist...I have heard many white girls say they damaged their hair by going from dark brown to blonde. Our hair is already weak, so just keep that in mind. When going lighter colors, sometimes it really pays to use a professional...at least if you're concerned about maintaining length.

Google going "dyed black to blonde." You'll find some helpful stories on this.

I agree, go to a stylist & know the risk.

i have done this many times, but i have some professional experience. it is very difficult to go from black to blonde and you might risk damaging your hair in the process. i would go to a professional. someone that specializes in color. if the salon doesn't have a color bar, don't do it. someone that has to go out and buy color doesn't specialize in it or doesn't color often.

Back