Is There A way to Become a Distributor for Hair care Products?

divinefavor

Can any individual become a distributor for a hair care line? Are there any licensing requirements or special training involved?

You want to sell right? You would have to get a reseller's or vendors license from your state. They are free to about $50--depending. Mine was $25 (OHIO)

Not sure what you mean by training (?) Do you mean from the government side or the product line side of things?

ayoung1981 said:
You want to sell right? You would have to get a reseller's or vendors license from your state. They are free to about $50--depending. Mine was $25 (OHIO)

Not sure what you mean by training (?) Do you mean from the government side or the product line side of things?

Thanks so much for this information!

Training in regards to product line, if a distributor sells a relaxer would he/she need to have some sort of cosmetology training?

sassyhair said:
I find this topic very interesting because I want to open up beauty supply stores.

I've thought about doing this same thing. Although, I don't want to be in the store working. :grin:

The question posed is a good one, I too would like to find out about distributing products or having a small BSS. I am glad this came up, it gives me a reason to do some research instead of just wishing (cause wishing only gets you so far).

divinefavor said:
Thanks so much for this information!

Training in regards to product line, if a distributor sells a relaxer would he/she need to have some sort of cosmetology training?

I really do not believe so--but you can call the customer service/sales number for a few lines and see about their policy.

I'm just equating it to if you owned a BSS--you don't need cosmetology training and to sell other products (vitamins, makeup etc..) nothing needed.

My husband and I are in the beginning stages of opening a BSS! I have been ALL over the internet--boy--there is not much info out there--you have to really hunt! :lol:

But I did find this org. called BOBSA (bobsa.org). They do diff. stuff--but they help blacks open black owned BSS and find the hard to find hair products that some Asian distributors won't sell to blacks.

If you go to their site--check out a snipet of the dvd Black Hair.
click on Shop on line and the video should load....

*Edited to fix website link*

Last edited:
ayoung1981 said:
I really do not believe so--but you can call the customer service/sales number for a few lines and see about their policy.

I'm just equating it to if you owned a BSS--you don't need cosmetology training and to sell other products (vitamins, makeup etc..) nothing needed.

My husband and I are in the beginning stages of opening a BSS! I have been ALL over the internet--boy--there is not much info out there--you have to really hunt! :lol:

But I did find this org. called BOBSA (bobsa.com). They do diff. stuff--but they help blacks open black owned BSS and find the hard to find hair products that some Asian distributors won't sell to blacks.

It's bobsa.org.

I'm about to go check it out. Thanks!

ayoung1981 said:

But I did find this org. called BOBSA (bobsa.org). They do diff. stuff--but they help blacks open black owned BSS and find the hard to find hair products that some Asian distributors won't sell to blacks.

*Edited to fix website link*

Thanks for the information! I'll check it out!

Divinefavor-

I am soooo glad you started this thread. I have been trying to figure out a way to parlay the knowledge I've gained from LHCF and my interest in hair into a business. I bought the Braids by Breslin video and considered the possiblility of openning a braidshop. I also considered a haircare "consultation service" where I would work with women of color to help them acheive their hair goals. But a BSS is a great idea. They just opened the first BSS in my area other than Sally's and that place is always packed. In fact, I stopped by there Sunday and there were people outside waiting for them to open. I'm excited!

Divine,

I wanted add another thought.

I think its great to get us on the board thinking about how we can get the word out as it relates to hair care.

For any ladies who live in the NYC tri-state area, I think you all will agree with me on this one. Everytime I need to get a product at the BSS I usually come across a store Asian-owned. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking them for their hustle, b/c in the end you gotta do what you gotta do. But it would be nice to go to a BSS where someone looked like you and could actually give you helpful tips for growing your hair longer and healthier. So thanks for the food for thought

CinnaMocha said:
Divine,

I wanted add another thought.

I think its great to get us on the board thinking about how we can get the word out as it relates to hair care.

For any ladies who live in the NYC tri-state area, I think you all will agree with me on this one. Everytime I need to get a product at the BSS I usually come across a store Asian-owned. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking them for their hustle, b/c in the end you gotta do what you gotta do. But it would be nice to go to a BSS where someone looked like you and could actually give you helpful tips for growing your hair longer and healthier. So thanks for the food for thought

I know what your saying! It would be nice to buy beauty products from black people, I get sick of being a consumer, I want a share of the wealth too.

Ok, I have always wanted to open a beauty supply from when I was in college.

You don't need a license to do any type retail (aside from the business license, tax resale id #). Even when it comes to selling the perms. As long as you're not administering them personally. Or had like a beauty salon in the back like some stores do. Then you would need a license to do hair.

OK, here's a good place to go to. Check out www.ahbai.org -- you know, the "Proud Lady" association? They are the trade association of all the registered beauty product manufacturers.

I would be interested in becoming a distributor as well, I guess it would be wise to contact the companies of the products you are interested in and see what they require.

Phoenix said:
Divinefavor-

I also considered a haircare "consultation service" where I would work with women of color to help them acheive their hair goals.

Phoenix, that is a hottt idea! Work it!

Back