Is there a difference in Silicone Serums based on Price?

bajanplums1

I love what silicone serums have done for my hair. It is th best discovery I have found for my hair. When I use it properly I get smooth silky hair that is like glass.

I know a girl whose hairdesser uses a silicone serum that is $30 for 1 ounce and it leaves her hair always silky and soft. I use a brand by IC Fantasia that is $7 for 6 ounces and also get great result when I take my time. Do you think that there is an appreciable difference based on price?

I would like to know too there are so many out there but If the 7 dollar one is good for ya go for it

Allandra said:
Good question. I'd like to know too.

Also, what $30 serum are you referring to?
My serum is worth $30 but I bought it off of Ebay for half that price. It is called Ecru and I love it! It is lighter than any other serum I've used and it doesn't have any alcohol in it. Prior to Ecru I was using Design Essentials Silk Essentials and that had alcohol in it. IC was too heavy/thick for me.

Right now, I'm still using/loving NTM Healing Shine Serum and PM Super Skinny Serum (in conjunction with PM Super Skinny Shampoo and Conditioner). They don't cost $30, but I think they both work great. I've been using/loving the NTM serum for some time now.

I think that before investing in the $30.00 serum you should compare the ingredients. --And anyways why pay more? If the IC serum works great...

I am not planning to buy a $30 serum, I just want to understand why a serum would cost $30. I want to know if I am missing something.

Allandra said:
Right now, I'm still using/loving NTM Healing Shine Serum and PM Super Skinny Serum (in conjunction with PM Super Skinny Shampoo and Conditioner). They don't cost $30, but I think they both work great. I've been using/loving the NTM serum for some time now.

I love the NTM serum too!!!!

bajanplums1 said:
I am not planning to buy a $30 serum, I just want to understand why a serum would cost $30. I want to know if I am missing something.

Yeah I always wonder about products that are marked up--in my experience very few products live up to their price tag. I guess you have to pay for packaging and the brand name. :(

IMO, there's no real difference if the serums are formulated with similar ingredients. I look for *good* ingredients (panthenol, aloe, and of course the 'cones) and avoid those with *bad* ingredients (alcohol). I had excellent results using IC super concentrated drops, which is alcohol free and cost about $5 for 6 oz. THEN, I went I bought nexxus hair glaze which has basically the same ingredients, is also alcohol free, costs about $8 for 1oz and does the same thing as the IC. My conclusion, no difference if similarly formulated. When my nexxus is finished, I'll be going back to IC, which lasted me forever 'cause I just couldn't get to bottom of that thing!

This is such a great question! I've often wondered what made certain serums so expensive. I have used the IC serum and i liked it. then I used the John Freida Relax serum and I fell in LOVE. they aren't created equal... the JF was super super light and it was a GREAT detangler. The best detangler i've ever used PERIOD. since they've discontinued the line, now I use the NTM serum, and it is sooo super light and it leaves my hair super soft/shiny and still bouncy. and the fragrance is more sophisticated than the IC serum. I love NTM but i am tempted to try the Paul Mitchell super skinny that everyone raves about. just to see what that offers my hair. but i don';t think they are created equal, basically some serums are super light and silky while the cheaper ones are thick, which may produce the same amount of shine, but my cause your hair to be weighted down and possibly greasy. I'm just guessing, i'm not for sure. But i surely can't see what could possibly be special enough about a serum to price it at $30!!! i mean geeez, give a sista a break... :perplexed

Mizani_Mrs said:
This is such a great question! . . . but i don';t think they are created equal, basically some serums are super light and silky while the cheaper ones are thick, which may produce the same amount of shine, but my cause your hair to be weighted down and possibly greasy. I'm just guessing, i'm not for sure. But i surely can't see what could possibly be special enough about a serum to price it at $30!!! i mean geeez, give a sista a break... :perplexed

Thanks Mizani!

Back