Is there a difference between a steam flat iron and a regular flat iron?

gone_fishing

Would the steam one do less damage? :perplexed

Or is that just fancy for nothing different....

I was thinking about this since I bought those caruso rollers which I love. Folks say they are better for your hair because it's not direct heat.

So would this steam one be considered direct heat?

Anyone have one?

A regular flat iron has superheated plates that put the hair directly in contact with heat, of course.

A steam flat iron, if i'm not mistaken, uses steam as its source of heat and plates (I think the maxiglide has pins too) and the plates aren't so hot so your actually indirectly heating the hair and then straightening it with a flat surface. I would say the steam flat iron is better because your hair isnt heated by the plate itself but the steam that comes out of it. Go for it girl! BTW, what brand do you have/plan to buy?

A regular flat iron has superheated plates that put the hair directly in contact with heat, of course.

A steam flat iron, if i'm not mistaken, uses steam as its source of heat and plates (I think the maxiglide has pins too) and the plates aren't so hot so your actually indirectly heating the hair and then straightening it with a flat surface. I would say the steam flat iron is better because your hair isnt heated by the plate itself but the steam that comes out of it. Go for it girl! BTW, what brand do you have/plan to buy?

Ok maybe I'm nuts or something, but in regards to the bolded, I'm thinking there's a flat-iron that uses WATER for it to steam? "Think in terms of a steam clothes iron and you will get my drift." Now this is something new to me, so I'm confused on this and would love to know how one of them iron's work and which brand is it that does this. It sure seems a safer way of flat-ironing your hair without using them super hot plates that can reach some too hot temps.

Thanks for your response. I really don't know @ bolded. I was hoping it worked the way you just described and was hoping for some suggestions w/ pictures. :)

Back