Is the elastic in your bonnet ruining your hair line?

Divine Inspiration

Then I've got a suggestion that may help! I know several ladies here use these, but I recently saw a thread with several folks having problems with the elastic in typical bonnets.

This weekend I was roaming through Walgreens, and I found the Stay On Satin bonnet. It's smooth on the outside and soft on the inside. There is no elastic or velcro. It's just a stretchy band that holds it in place. It's designed to maintain the style and protect the hair.

So, I picked one of these up because the elastic in my bonnet was causing problems. I haven't tried out the new one yet, but upon opening it and inspecting it, I think it will be a great alternative to other bonnets. I plan to pick up a few more of these on my next trip to Walgreens.

It cost $3-4. If you decide to purchase it, run it through the washer one or two times before you use it. According to a few ladies here, it will soak up your hair juices and stain pillowcases until you wash it. :look:

HTH someone...

{DI}

Thanks! Can you post a pic? My bonnet causes me a lot of irritation also. I thought it was just me...

i turn my bonnet inside out. but i didn't start because of hairline issues, it was more so because i was tired of the line being imprinted into my forehead every night i wore it.

Hey ladies,

So, I bought one of these for under two dollars at Mallwart. So, here are the answers to questions posted previously:

1. Fabric quality: Pretty flimsy satin. In fact, let's call it fakin. It's see-thru. As always, the outside is smoother than the inside. It needs to be as smooth on both sides. When will manufacturers figure this out?

2. Construction: Fair quality for something I spent less than $2 to have. Probably would need to buy a new one after a couple of months.

3. Staying power: Yes, I believe if you have an average or larger head, then it will stay on. However, the important thing to note is that rather than the elastic strip with the lace around the outside, there is like a trouser sock-type material around the edges. I'm not sure that this wouldn't affect your hairline at some point. I do think that the fabric around the edges would be just as drying as cotton.

4. Size: I was surprised at the relatively small volume of this cap. If you have big hair or shoulder-length natural, then you might want to stick with what you currently use. That is unless you tie your hair down with something else beforehand.

If you don't like your head to feel closed in, then this is not the cap for you.

Overall Grade: C+ It is an improvement on the conventional bonnet with the aforementioned caveats.

HTH!

Thanks for the review, Sunshinelady. I was wondering about that smooth material on the inside and the band.

My silk bonnet is a drawstring because my nerves won't allow me to have an elastic bonnet on my head. The drastring allow me to leave it as loose as i like and it never rubs my hairline, thank God. I purchased mine at Wally World.

I bought this satin cap because I left mine in my dorm room. It really stays on my head better than other caps...but so far...it's just another satin cap

Ladies, I tie a silk head band on my hairline before I put my bonnet on. I don't have any issues with breakage. Maybe you can try that.

you should try a string bonnet I bought that kind cause I hate the squishing feeling on my head when I sleep. Besides the fact that it falls over my face sometimes, Its really good. I got it from a bss for less than 5 bucks, no fear of hairline damage

Hey ladies,

So, I bought one of these for under two dollars at Mallwart. So, here are the answers to questions posted previously:

1. Fabric quality: Pretty flimsy satin. In fact, let's call it fakin. It's see-thru. As always, the outside is smoother than the inside. It needs to be as smooth on both sides. When will manufacturers figure this out?

2. Construction: Fair quality for something I spent less than $2 to have. Probably would need to buy a new one after a couple of months.

3. Staying power: Yes, I believe if you have an average or larger head, then it will stay on. However, the important thing to note is that rather than the elastic strip with the lace around the outside, there is like a trouser sock-type material around the edges. I'm not sure that this wouldn't affect your hairline at some point. I do think that the fabric around the edges would be just as drying as cotton.

4. Size: I was surprised at the relatively small volume of this cap. If you have big hair or shoulder-length natural, then you might want to stick with what you currently use. That is unless you tie your hair down with something else beforehand.

If you don't like your head to feel closed in, then this is not the cap for you.

Overall Grade: C+ It is an improvement on the conventional bonnet with the aforementioned caveats.

HTH!
I bought this bonnet thinking it was better and the bold is the problem I have. That material is still annoying and it rubs against my hairline anyway. I rarely use it now because of this.

OK, I ordered one of these Stay On Satin bonnets and it arrived today. When I saw this thread, I opened the package. I got the pocket kind. The material on the inside is supposed to be "soft" but it's kinda rough. I think it would cause some breakage. I flipped it inside out, since the smoother fabric is on the outside.

I noticed the package says " Soft Inside: Gently holds cap in place" (italics mine) Now, what cap are they talking about? Is this bonnet meant to be worn on top of another sleep cap? :spinning: I guess I could tie my hair up with a real silk scarf and wear this on top... I've done that before with my elastic sleep bonnet.

Ditto on the small volume. I got this one because I thought it would accomodate the amount of hair I have... :nono: Not happenin'.

My MIL gave me some REAL satin (not this fabric, they need to get slapped calling this cheap crap "satin") and I will sew something that will suit my needs better. I paid $3. :ohwell:

I pull some of the plastic under the elastic. I have always done this because even with the cap turned inside out, it leaves a line on your forehead. Pulling some of the plastic under the elastic eliminates both problems: the hairline one (Never knew this was an issue initially when I started doing this), the elastic mark on forehead (Main reason I started doing that).

Never had a problem with the satin bonnets I get the one from walmart that cost two dollars I don't think they have an elastic band though.

Back