Is Stretching for me?

trinidarkie1

My hair looks horrible! It feels nice when it's wet and moist and I can feel my roots, but my hair has been breaking off, no matter how much I leave it alone, or braid it up or whatever. It's worse off than it's ever been before.

A friend suggested that stretching may not be for me, and I should revert to weaving for the relaxing period and touching up the perimeter for the installation of the weave.

I'm anxious to ask my hairdresser about this, cos depending on the answer, I'll either do my BC or do a touch up and install a weave.

Any one else has had horrible results with stretching?

Stretching is definitely not for anyone. I tried it, my hair broke and now I get a relaxer every 9wks. I don't consider that stretching since 8wks is the norm but any longer than approx. 12 wks and the breakage makes my progress null and void.

I totally agree STRENGH NOW FOR EVERYONE i tried it numerous time my hair was horrible breakin couldnt get in roots to relax so now 9-12 limit no longer.

Thanks Latomian, I mean I've been stretching religiously for four years and still nothing, I just thought there was more to it that I just didn't get. It's not too late to switch I guess.

It might be that stretching is not for you but it may also be that you haven't found the right products to help you stretch. The same products and/or techniques you used at 1 week post will probably not work at 12 weeks or 24 weeks post because you are dealing with two textures. You may need to change a product, add a new one or change a technique slightly to make sure breakage does not occur and that your hair still looks and feels moisturised and that does take time to figure out. After a certain number of weeks, you really have to handle it gently and use the right products. The protein/moisture balance at this time is crucial.

If your hair is breaking, you should try to baby it first before relaxing. Try a dC treament with protein. I hope you are successful because your hair is so pretty.:yep:

I lost about a eight sq inch patch of hair from not getting a relaxer on time in jr. high school.

Adding protein to my moisture conditioner and applying it like a relaxer, before any other manipulation, has helped me to stretch. I do extended stretches now.

HTH

Last edited:
Thank you ladies! All of you, thanks for your suggestions, however, I have done all these things. And nothing has been working *sobs*

I do overnight treatments, Glycerin and Water does NOTHING for my hair! lol, it's horrible!
Applying conditioner like a relaxer feels nice, but my hair still mattes up a bit and I've tried combing out before I co-wash, during co-wash and after co-wash. I lose all kinds of hair.

I really do look like a crackhead (not to offend any one) but I do look mega busted! My hair is not happy, at all!

In your fotki it says that you are 7 months post. That is a long time. At what point during your stretch did you notice the major issues. Maybe 5 months is your max. You are good girl stretching for 7 months.

I really have to say that I noticed the problems around November/December. It could be the change in weather, but my hair is now extremely brittle and moisture just bounces off of the strands. the only time my hair feels nice and soft is after I do my Deep condition. I've been wigging it since the spring and I need a change.

I did my relaxer last night! YAY! I used Just For Me regular relaxer. I loved the PRE-Treatment and I basted my scalp quite a bit before as well. I'm satisfied with the outcome. Still going to do a weave this weekend. :)

Stretching is TOUGH! That's one thing I had to learn the hard way. Maybe it's my hair type (4a/b) but I loss alot of hair when I tried to stretch past 12 weeks. I love stretching but I haven't figured out to make it without the hair loss. I think for the most part to be successful you have to keep it extremely simple with styles. Good Luck!!!!

I did my relaxer last night! YAY! I used Just For Me regular relaxer. I loved the PRE-Treatment and I basted my scalp quite a bit before as well. I'm satisfied with the outcome. Still going to do a weave this weekend. :)

Oops, I didn't see your updated post. :grin:

Back