Is love enough?

PassionFruit

so Im having a discussion with my friend about marital issues....

She has that Love conquers all mentality...

I disagree...

Do you think love is all you need or is love enough to keep a relationship together?? When does love stop being enough? Is it ever enough?

NO, love is not enough. I love my ex husband to death and he tells me that he loves me, but we have not and will never find a resolution to the issues that lead to our divorce. We can be best of friends but our love will never be enough for us to get back together.

Love has never been enough for me. My parents have always been inlove with each other but have been divorced for 30 years.

For me I need something more. My list would goes something like this: commitment, respect, appreciation, fidelity, love and lots of intimacy. This may not be ok with other by it works for me.

Depends on how one defines love and how deep their love runs.

I think if a mutual commitment has been made with the heart you will do everything in your power to ensure that no matter how difficult a situation or obstacle, your sincere love for each other would help overcome any dilemma.

so Im having a discussion with my friend about marital issues....

She has that Love conquers all mentality...

I disagree...

Do you think love is all you need or is love enough to keep a relationship together?? When does love stop being enough? Is it ever enough?

I used to, but now I know better.

Love has never been enough for me. My parents have always been inlove with each other but have been divorced for 30 years.

For me I need something more. My list would goes something like this: commitment, respect, appreciation, fidelity, love and lots of intimacy. This may not be ok with other by it works for me.

I say yes because to me all those are components of love. If he loves you, he will do all those things (maybe not the intimacy part, some people just aren't like that).

No, it's not. If it was, I would have been married twice now. In fact, the strongest marriage I've seen (a friend of my mom) was arranged, they were not in love when they got married. They are now, though :yep:.

I'm with you on this D. All these qualities are a part of truly loving someone. Without them, there is no deal.

Love is a wonderful thing, but it is not enough.
I have loved men before, but there is no way that I would marry them. I married my husband because we have love, commitment, respect, dedication, etc.

When I was younger my mother told me that it takes more than love to maintain a relationship. I didn't understand what she meant but as I get older I am starting to see the "big picture".

I think so because the only lasting marriage Ive seen was my grandparents. 40 something years and they had been through it. I think if it was anything less than love they would've just left each other a long time ago. Even when they had their worst arguments and would avoid each other, it wouldnt be long before they were back to normal. My grandfather put up with my grandmothers ways and my grandmother put up with his.

Absolutely not! Love isn't enough.

You can love someone and they can love you back but you can still lack in compatibility in other issues that are IMO key to a successful marriage or relationship.

Back