Is it the only way?

pinkchocolatedaisy

Is straightening your hair the only way to determine the health of your ends? I hear lots of ladies on here say they straighten before dusting or trimming. I'm natural and my ends (mostly in the front) seem dry and frizz easily no matter how much I moisturize or dc. I don't even use heat so I don't know what it is. I cannot tell if they are split or what. So please tell me what should I do! I just did a dusting about a month ago

A lot of ladies straighten before dusting or trimming to make sure that it is even.

I have just realized that even though I bc'd my processed ends, I only cut based on texture. So I still have some hair damage that occured before I was treating my hair better. Do you think this might be the case for you?

I don't think so bc its been 7 and half months since I did the bc. my ends were bad then and I kept trimming. I think they're getting worse.

I AGREE!
My hair has to be RELAXED/STRAIGHENED so i can get all the split ends if not my trim will be uneven.
I saw salon/beauty shop trim/cut hair when its wet i wouldnt recommand tha.

Last edited:
A lot of naturals seem to get crispy ends eventually, I always have them. Even after I cut them off, they go crispy again. :ohwell: I look at my ends and they're not visibly split. Even on the ends that break or my shed hairs, the entire strand looks healthy. I don't know why the ends go crispy. :nono:

The times I have trimmed, I trimmed while my hair was in twists. It's easier than you may think to keep it relatively even all around, your fingers tend to guide you. If you plan on wearing it straight often, then you may want to do it while straight. If you're wearing it nappy all of the time, then no, you do not need to straighten to trim.

Back