Is it safe to rollerset 2x's a week????

NYLegalNewbie

Okay, so I tried blow drying my hair on low heat twice a week. I started doing this because even though air drying left my hair with decent moisture, I would have more breakage than when my hair was smoother.

My hair was NOT happy with me AT ALL! It's definitely drier than when I airdried!

So, my question is whether or not it's safe to roller set 2x's a week? I've noticed that my hair responds fairly well to it, but I'm worried that twice a week may be overdoing it. I plan on using a low/warm setting and not high heat.

Hmmm, if you're trying to go for low manipulation, maybe you should go for once per week. I guess it would really depend to how your hair is responding to the sets. If you aren't losing a lot due to the combing of wet hair, then I guess it would be ok.

Hmmm, if you're trying to go for low manipulation, maybe you should go for once per week. I guess it would really depend to how your hair is responding to the sets. If you aren't losing a lot due to the combing of wet hair, then I guess it would be ok.

Well, when I've done roller sets in the past, I lose very little when combing through my hair. So, I figured it might be worth a shot.

It would be great if someone who actually has or does roller set twice a week would chime in :look:

How are you doing the airdrying? What leave-in are you using. i'm not a strong believer that airdrying doesn't work for everyone. It could be the products that you are using. Explain exactly what happens when you airdry.

How are you doing the airdrying? What leave-in are you using. i'm not a strong believer that airdrying doesn't work for everyone. It could be the products that you are using. Explain exactly what happens when you airdry.

My hair airdries just fine. There's nothing wrong with airdrying for me by itself. My hair retains moisture and feels nice and soft.

BUT...I end up with more tangles and breakage when my hair is airdried. It's difficult to comb through once it is dry. I'm 8 weeks post, and my hair is a mix of relaxed and texlaxed hair. I'm one of those people who CANNOT get away with going for days without combing my hair. It has to be combed at least once a day.

I rollerset twice a week until I get to about 10 weeks post...then I go down to once a week or wash n go. It works for me, and I haven't had any adverse effects :yep:

I rollerset twice a week. I haven't had any problems with it because I make sure that my hair is throughly coated with leave in conditioner and I change up my roller positions so that no one section feels over manipulated. Sometimes, your scalp can start to feel sore in certain places and that usually comes from roller placement so switching it up solves that problem. My hair doesn't like air drying either. If I air dry, I have to commit to cowashing every other day. Rollersetting helps me retain moisture. My hair is constantly suffering from porosity issues so rollersetting helps smooth my cuticle. I sit under a dry using the lowest heat possible. Sometimes, I will let my hair air dry on rollers for an hour or two and then finish under the dry. I also spray my whole head with Nexxus Heat protectx spray before I roll and I spray more on the sections that get the most heat afterwards too.

I rollerset 2x's per week (rarely 3x's if I wash my hair three times). I will only rollerset my hair. I don't blowdry because it's too much for my very thin hair and I don't airdry because I don't like the way my hair feels afterwards.

That said, I do not have any problems with breakage when I rollerset. In fact, the only time in my life when my hair was completely healthy and long (almost APL) was when I not only rollerset my hair when I washed it, but also rollerset my dry hair before I went to bed every night (yes, I sleep on magnetic rollers).

I caution you, however, if you stretch your relaxers, when you get about a half inch of new growth use a wider tooth rattail comb because the sound of that narrow tooth comb going through your new growth is not pleasant. I find that my hair still ends up straight because (a) I do not put a whole lot of hair on my rollers and (b) I pul tightly enough to streth the new growth.

I change up my roller positions so that no one section feels over manipulated. Sometimes, your scalp can start to feel sore in certain places and that usually comes from roller placement so switching it up solves that problem.

Thanks for the advice. At the risk of sounding dumb...uh...how do you switch up the roller placement? :perplexed Rolling forward, versus backward? Rolling vertically as opposed to horizontally?

Also, what leave in do you like to use?

Well, when I've done roller sets in the past, I lose very little when combing through my hair. So, I figured it might be worth a shot.

It would be great if someone who actually has or does roller set twice a week would chime in :look:
I've been rollersetting 2x each week for the last four years without any problems. :) I do airdry in my rollersets though but even if you use indirect heat with a hood or bonnet dryer, I don't see why there would be a problem.

Thanks for the advice. At the risk of sounding dumb...uh...how do you switch up the roller placement? :perplexed Rolling forward, versus backward? Rolling vertically as opposed to horizontally?

Not gymfreak... but...

Instead of using the mohawk technique, I start at the front of my head and just use the rattail part of the comb to section off enough hair to fit around the roller. If you randomly do this instead of doing it in a set pattern, the roller pattern will automatically switch up.

I use the infusium23 reconstructing leave-in. If you are not trying to correct breakage, infusium23 also has a moisturizing leave-in.

To change position all you really have to do is change the amount of hair on some of the rollers which will make you alter the way you roll it to still get it tight. Also, using snap covered rollers on your thin or hard to roll sections will also help. I use snap covered ones on my nape so I can use less tension.

I use giovanni direct, sunsilk hydra tlc(pink), sunsilk straighten up cream(purple), or garnier frucits sleek and shine cream

Not gymfreak... but...

Instead of using the mohawk technique, I start at the front of my head and just use the rattail part of the comb to section off enough hair to fit around the roller. If you randomly do this instead of doing it in a set pattern, the roller pattern will automatically switch up.

I use the infusium23 reconstructing leave-in. If you are not trying to correct breakage, infusium23 also has a moisturizing leave-in.

:yep:Right, I haven't done a formal mohawk in months.

Not gymfreak... but...

Ah...okay, I think I get it. So rather than trying to have something like a mohawk down the middle and two side sections with an equal number of rollers on each row, you just gather up hair (whatever is required to be put on the roller) as needed and place rollers randomly on the head. Is that right?

Ah...okay, I think I get it. So rather than trying to have something like a mohawk down the middle and two side sections with an equal number of rollers on each row, you just gather up hair (whatever is required to be put on the roller) as needed and place rollers randomly on the head. Is that right?

Yes.... that's it exactly.

I rollerset 2x/week as well, and have not experienced any adverse effects. In fact, I am finding that as I get more new growth, I am setting the hair faster b/c I am setting so often.

I recently found that when I use Cantu's shea butter leave-in and serum to set, I don't have to moisturize my hair until the next wash day, AND I hardly get any hairs on the floor (a few shed ones only) :D

The past couple of weeks I have been sitting under the dryer for like 1.5 hrs b/c I've had it on low instead of medium. Yeah, my hair is uber soft, but dangit, I can't wait to get a Pibbs :ohwell:.

I like to rollerset 2x a week, especially with the cooler weather. I don't care for airdrying when it gets colder. I use large rollers and I never use a fine tooth ratail comb on my hair. :nono: Instead I use a wide tooth ratail. I use medium heat from my dryer, otherwise high heat makes my hair dry and brittle.

My hair airdries just fine. There's nothing wrong with airdrying for me by itself. My hair retains moisture and feels nice and soft.

BUT...I end up with more tangles and breakage when my hair is airdried. It's difficult to comb through once it is dry. I'm 8 weeks post, and my hair is a mix of relaxed and texlaxed hair. I'm one of those people who CANNOT get away with going for days without combing my hair. It has to be combed at least once a day.

Ooooh. I think your hair is just dry, which is contributing to the snapping off. You probably need a stronger DC and a better moisturizer. Have you ever tried Co-washing?

Ooooh. I think your hair is just dry, which is contributing to the snapping off. You probably need a stronger DC and a better moisturizer. Have you ever tried Co-washing?

I was cowashing every other day plus using a DC weekly (ORS Replenish or Aubrey's, either moisturizing or GPB, or ORS Hair Mayo, OR Nexxus products) and this was still happening. Also, the ONLY moisturizer that works effectively for me is the Jane Carter one. Everything else is either too light or has too much oil in it/too heavy.

As I stated before, my hair wasn't dry at all. In fact, it was very nice and soft with good sheen. BUT it was still tangled and hard to comb through.

But thanks for your attempt to see if you could fix the air drying issue :yep:

At any rate, the people who have responded thus far, especially gymfreak and artemis, have similar hair types to mine. So if they've been doing it for a while with no adverse effects, then I suspect that as long as I use the right products, I shoud be fine.

Last edited:
I agree, all I have been doing is roller setting my hair 2x a week and each night dry. I haven't been using magnetic roller I have been using the flexirods and my hair is at it's best right now.

I rollerset 2x's per week (rarely 3x's if I wash my hair three times). I will only rollerset my hair. I don't blowdry because it's too much for my very thin hair and I don't airdry because I don't like the way my hair feels afterwards.

That said, I do not have any problems with breakage when I rollerset. In fact, the only time in my life when my hair was completely healthy and long (almost APL) was when I not only rollerset my hair when I washed it, but also rollerset my dry hair before I went to bed every night (yes, I sleep on magnetic rollers).

I caution you, however, if you stretch your relaxers, when you get about a half inch of new growth use a wider tooth rattail comb because the sound of that narrow tooth comb going through your new growth is not pleasant. I find that my hair still ends up straight because (a) I do not put a whole lot of hair on my rollers and (b) I pul tightly enough to streth the new growth.

I rollerset twice a week and so far so good. I also cannot airdry, my hair just does not respond well to it all! I have also noticed that when I rollerset twice a week I loose less hair during the detangling process then I did when I was rollersetting once a week. I think it is because I am not allowing my hair a chance to get tangled at all.

I rollerset (2) twice a week; Wed and Sat. I deep condition each time and I don't have any problems. I fiinger comb between the two washings.

I've been rolling twice per week for nearly 3 months now and my hair loves it. It's so healthy and even healthier than when I first started. I can't praise rollersetting enough. It's been a savior for my hair...truly helps me retain my length. I use NO direct heat...only dry under Pibbs dryer..that's it and I do that on the warm setting (Pibbs 512). It's wonderful.

I also DC for EACH wash:yep: and I use a great leave in---Abba Nourishing, Kiehls, or Terax Botanicals Leave in. They all leave my hair very soft and detangled. I also do saran wrap treatment after my rollersets and I finger comb my hair daily (do pin curls at night if I want curly or wrap loosely if I want a little straighter).

Last edited:
Back