Is it possible...

KrystalClear

My hair type I thought was a 4A. But now that I'm seeing my new growth, it looks like a 3C. I tried to take pictures, but the new growth is too small to get a decent picture. I am going to try to take some pictures though and show a before and after.

I swear my hair type has changed though.
And I think it may be due to my regimen alteration.

My regimen has changed as follows: I drink about a gallon a water a day, I take hair skin and nail vitamins and biotin (about 4000mcg). I have been wet bunning for about 2 weeks now, detanling better. I use either castor oil, coconut oil, or unrefined shea butter or a mixture of the three. I had put a texturizer on my hair about 3 1/2 months ago, and my new growth looks like the texturized parts of my hair, so I'm having a really hard time checking my growth progress!

Anybody notice that happen with their hair after changing their water intake, vitamin intake and hair regimen for the better?

I'm perplexed! :look:

I don't think it's anything you're doing internally. I've heard people report texture changes whilst taking biotin. It's most probably that if anything

This is why the whole hair typing debate is so vexing. For example, just because someone has deep waves or curly hair, we automatically peg them as 3c. However, if you have fine textured hair that does not have obvious waves or curls in the roots, your hair is pegged as a 4a. I think it is possible to have thick 4a hair with deep waves.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I agree with Almond Eyes, typing sucks. OP, curls, waves, feel...are not just exclusive to 3's. We have the same in 4's. A coil is a curl...and 4's have that. A wave is created when a coil is stretched out, and that could happen with new growth coz the rest of the hair is pulling on it. Softness which isn't usually obvious when looking at type 4 hair but very real when you touch it is typical of moisturized hair. This image of my type 4 hair has the characteristics I just described:
IMG_2832-vi.jpg

Type 3 hair has bigger curls than the 4's and so if it was as short as I imagine yours is (too short to photograph you say?), I think it'd look somewhat wavy/straight.

But seriously what does it matter? All types rock!

That's some pretty hair!!!!:grin:

I agree with Almond Eyes, typing sucks. OP, curls, waves, feel...are not just exclusive to 3's. We have the same in 4's. A coil is a curl...and 4's have that. A wave is created when a coil is stretched out, and that could happen with new growth coz the rest of the hair is pulling on it. Softness which isn't usually obvious when looking at type 4 hair but very real when you touch it is typical of moisturized hair. This image of my type 4 hair has the characteristics I just described:
IMG_2832-vi.jpg

Type 3 hair has bigger curls than the 4's and so if it was as short as I imagine yours is (too short to photograph you say?), I think it'd look somewhat wavy/straight.

OP if your NG is too small to take a picture of, it's most likely much too small to type.

Most people are never really sure of their hair type, and it can look very different depending on circumstances. It's best to wait until you've got a significant amount to look at, or better yet until after you've chopped or until you can find a picture of yourself completely natural and work from there.

Honestly I feel you can't really type your hair until you have chopped the chemical hair. Also need to remember that hair does change texture over the years. Also using certain products will make a difference. Your pattern could also change to it's possible true self when its healthy. The 4a appearance could very well be the result of lack of moisture.

1st pic is me at 6 months my hair was straight
(I wish I could find a pic from when I was about 2) I still had fine hair but huge ringlets.
2nd pic Dec 2008 I have heat damage & my hair is natural but notice the different types of curls
3rd pic July 2009 After cutting off all the heat damage
4th pic Dec 2005 My SO is blocking most of my hair with his hat but the curls are different there too. My hair was natural with some heat damage as well.

The point is I wouldn't worry myself with things such as curl patterns. I personally worry more about texture and porosity. Is your hair coarse, fine, medium, wiry? That's how I believe you should care for your hair. While it is likely that certain textures are associated with certain patterns, it doesn't hold true for everybody. My cousin's hair is the reverse of mine she started with coarse and now has fine curly hair.

Attachments

• me2.jpg
    me2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC01829.jpg
    DSC01829.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 6654_521091032799_56802164_30766192_3616927_n.jpg
    6654_521091032799_56802164_30766192_3616927_n.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 28
  • me&marvin.jpg
    me&marvin.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Andrea's hair typing system does not have a 3c. So, some people consider 3c, 4a anyways, so rest assured you are fine.

IMG_2832-vi.jpg

Thank you so much for posting your picture! I’ve finally my hair twin :yay: *wipes eye*

Last edited:
Thank you all for the feedback. I was in class all day today and didn't have much time. But I definitely understand and appreciate all the information you ladies have posted. So I think my hair could possibly be changing, but we will see months from now! And the front part of my hair is the only part that is short, I have a really awkward situation going on right now with my head - lol, so I don't really even like to take any pics of my hair right now.

OP if your NG is too small to take a picture of, it's most likely much too small to type.

Most people are never really sure of their hair type, and it can look very different depending on circumstances. It's best to wait until you've got a significant amount to look at, or better yet until after you've chopped or until you can find a picture of yourself completely natural and work from there.

I have my old natural pics, but since I jacked my head up I don't really have any new ones of the texture I'm talkin' about.

Back