IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE LITTLE TO NO CURL PATTERN?

bravenewgirl87

I don't t hink i have a curl pattern as defined by Andre Walker. Or maybe i just don't know what i am doing...
How do you fine your hair type? Can you texturize or get curls on straight hair? So confused...

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to find out. :perplexed

Hair typing refers to the curl pattern of virgin hair, i.e. *without* any heat or chemical processing. This means that what hair looks like when relaxed, blow dried, or hot curled is not the hair type. Here are descriptions of the various hair types for reference.

Straight
1a - stick straight
1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

Wavy
2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

Curly
3a - big, loose spiral curls
3b - bouncy ringlets
3c - tight corkscrews

Really curly
4a - tightly coiled S-curls
4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)

Pictures
Here are some pictures of types 2 to 4.

If your questions are basic you can find the answers by searching and browsing the boards.

Last edited:
bravenewgirl87 said:
I don't t hink i have a curl pattern as defined by Andre Walker. Or maybe i just don't know what i am doing...
How do you fine your hair type? Can you texturize or get curls on straight hair? So confused...
The only way to get curls on straight hair is if your do a rollerset, rodset, or strawset.

For a texturizer to give your hair curls, your hair must be all natural (free of chemical relaxers) first before applying the texturizer. A texturizer cannot make curls on straight hair.

Natural hair has varying types of curl patterns: wavy, curly, springy, spirally, coily, etc.... and any of these types can be loosely curled, tightly curled, shiny or sheeny, silky or kinky.

hope that helps!

bravenewgirl87 said:

More than likely, you do have some type of curl pattern . I thought this too untill I let my relaxer grow out.

bravenewgirl87 said:

You can have no curl pattern in two ways:
* You have stick straight (type 1 via andre) hair with straight hair strands
* You have curly/wavy individual hair strands (thought of as 4b via andre) but no visible clumping of your individual hair strands, and therefore, no visable curl pattern

Most people have a curl pattern that is comprised of a hybrid of andre's types. For example, a person with kinky hair can have 1/3 of their hair have curly strands but no visible curl pattern and another 2/3 of their hair have curly strands and clumping to form curls/coils. That would be a hybrid of 4a/4b. Basically, andre's system does not account for hair texture (only the size of your curl/lack of curl pattern) but he does seem to indicate that all people with type 4 hair are black folks with a kinky hair texture, so go figure.

bravenewgirl87 said:
If you have NO curl pattern then you are probably a 1 with stick straight hair or a 4b which has the z pattern or the frizzy pattern or the kinky pattern, whatever you want to call it. Can you post a pic of your hair and we can tell more accurately? If you do post a pic, it should be of your hair in its natural state or at least an inch of new growth with no twist out, braid outs, hair products, etc. to alter the true texture.

Ok, I am just assuming of taking a leap here but if you had type 1 hair their would be no question about that. Cause' it's just type 1, no mystery to solve.

That's why I am guessing you have some form of wavy or curly hair or 4B hair. Your hair might be damaged because of heat therefore you curl pattern wouldn't be defined. But if you condition your hair and it is healthy your curl pattern will show up. I used to think this because I never knew my curl pattern and always got relaxers or press. My hairdressers didn't even know and when I would get a press my hair had no defined pattern because they would press it out so much the cuticle was damaged.

After wearing braids and conditioning afterwards, my true hair texture was visible and are all dif textures.

Thanks you guys,
I ended up get a texlax (not knowing what it is, thanks to you all lol:D), and my roots are showing up zigzaggy. i think i am 3c tho, thinking back to when i first took the braids out of my hair. My nape is a bit of a 4a but for the most part, its springy curls. Am i making sense? Wishin4BSL (she my bff) remembers my new growth and says i am a hybrid between 3c and 4a> is this possible?

It seems like most people have more than one texture, so yes, it's possible.

I LOVE Fia and her hairtyping pics, but I wish there was a natural 4b. I think it'll confuse people since the 4b is texlaxed.

bravenewgirl87 said:
Thanks you guys,
I ended up get a texlax (not knowing what it is, thanks to you all lol:D), and my roots are showing up zigzaggy. i think i am 3c tho, thinking back to when i first took the braids out of my hair. My nape is a bit of a 4a but for the most part, its springy curls. Am i making sense? Wishin4BSL (she my bff) remembers my new growth and says i am a hybrid between 3c and 4a> is this possible?

Yeah, you can be a hybrid. I sometimes think I am 3d. LOL in the back at least. But it is possible for you to have many different textures throughout your head.

Back