Is it possible to do a twistout if I can't flat twist?

DigitalRain

Is it possible to do a twistout if I can\'t flat twist?

Will it still look decent? I have quite a bit of newgrowth, I was shocked when last night I washed and conditioned my hair. The only thing I can think of is that I've been doing differently is I started back using Surge /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I don't want to relax again till January and I want to do twist outs, but I want it to look decent. Any tips?

Re: Is it possible to do a twistout if I can\'t flat twist?

how do you plan on twisting? in single twists across your entire head? that might take a while and doing jumbo twists may not get the results you want.

i remember when my flat twists were horrible when i first learned to twist. the front of my hair was a hot mess. i look at pics and i cant believe that i went out the house with that mess on my head.

i cant really think of any tips because you said you had a lot of new growth, so unless you flat twist, your roots will be puffy. maybe some other ladies will have tips.

good luck

Yup, puffy-licous as Bublnbrwn calls it. You need something to weigh them down b/c the roller isn't enough. But you may like the results. I tried using duck bill clamps at the root, but they still shrunk up and I didn't have a curl as defined as I get from flat twisting.

I perform the tsist outs by sectioning my hair (8 sections). Using an ouchless rubberband for each section and then twist each section using single twists. The results are ok. I am new here so I will hopefully one day have an album to show the results. I got this tip from someone who posted trying to use rubberbands when rollersetting to smooth the roots.

DigitalRain, I just looked at your pics and your hair is gorgeous! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have you tried doing bantu knots (or buns)? I did that this past weekend and the results are fantastic! It looks similar to the twistouts I've seen ladies do here. The knots gave me very defined, shiny, bouncy ringlets that I've worn in different ways -- tight with a light finger-combing, then looser as the days have go on. I've worn it partially pinned up and completely down.

What I did was wash and airdry my hair as usual, adding a touch of oil when it was almost dry. After it was dry, I combed/brushed it straight and applied a small amount of Garnier Smoothing Milk. I made 10 bantu knots by twisting a section of hair from root to end first, then made a little bun with each section. (You can also just twist the section of hair around your finger as you are making the bun)

The knots stayed put by themselves and were 'random' -- no need to make neat parts. Then I covered my hair with a satin scarf, tying it snugly so that the knots wouldn't unravel as I slept.

In the morning, I took each twist down and lightly separated them. I still have the style five days later and it is still very shiny and bouncy. Every couple of days I spray it with an oil sheen for extra gloss.

I do not re-twist each night. I just loosely pin my hair up with two gentle, plastic duckbill clips.

I think this is a good alternative to flat twists, but I may give that a try someday, too. If you have not tried this but would like to and have any questions, please let me know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ooo I will try this next time I wash!! I keep forgetting to try the bantu knots. Thanks so much renee for reminding me. Today my hair was looking kind of rough so I went ahead and flat ironed my roots.

Thanks for all the tips ladies.

Back