Is it ok to pre poo after taking down a 2 month sew-in

KeishaT

i wanted to try my very first prepoo but i didnt kno if it was ok being that my hair is so dirty and i wanted to do it before i clarified. I believe i will be using vatika oil, and olive oil..im still researching to see if i should add anything else..all help is welcome..thnx in advance

Detangling?
I NEVER wash my hair after a sew-in before a detangling section...i learned to do this as a preteen geting braids all the time. But i will jus clarify and deep condition for now..thnx for ur help

Yep, u can prepoo. Like u said--ur gonna detang. so after that---ur all good to continue with anything u normally do to ur hair. :yep:

As long as you detangle first, it should be fine. I wouldn't try any new products though for the pre-poo.

Also, this is a personal preference, but I wouldn't clarify right after taking my hair down. Clarifiers are so harsh and you don't know what state your hair is in yet. I think a gentle shampoo and condition would be better.

Make sure you comb through it and detangle good first.

ETA: I wouldn't clarify either. It might make your hair tangle up. Usually people DC after clarifying or at least follow up with a moisturizing conditioner but isn't that why you're pre-pooing? Or are you DCing too?

I'm confused.

Isn't pre-pooing supposed to strengthen/protect your hair before washing it?

I just took my sew in down. I pre-poo'd, rinsed with black tea and clarified. NOW, I know that was too much strengthening. My hair needed to be clarified because of all the gunk.

Are you ladies saying that you shouldn't clarify after you take down a sew in?

I'm confused.

Isn't pre-pooing supposed to strengthen/protect your hair before washing it?

I just took my sew in down. I pre-poo'd, rinsed with black tea and clarified. NOW, I know that was too much strengthening. My hair needed to be clarified because of all the gunk.

Are you ladies saying that you shouldn't clarify after you take down a sew in?

I don't clarify the in the first couple of days after I take one out. Clarifiers are super duper harsh on my hair so I like to wait to see if my hair can handle it. Sew-ins can make the hair weak (because of the tension) and there is already a huge chance of tangles from shed hair, so I don't like to take a chance with clarifying.

I just use a regular shampoo (diluted) and then DC. If after a couple of days I still feel the need to clarify, then I do.

I don't clarify the in the first couple of days after I take one out. Clarifiers are super duper harsh on my hair so I like to wait to see if my hair can handle it. Sew-ins can make the hair weak (because of the tension) and there is already a huge chance of tangles from shed hair, so I don't like to take a chance with clarifying.

I just use a regular shampoo (diluted) and then DC. If after a couple of days I still feel the need to clarify, then I do

She speaks the truth.

Thanks ladies. I learn somethinig new here everyday.

Nichi, you look like a chocolate version of Solange. PM'd you with a question.

I totally agree with msa. I know someone who clarified her hair after taking out a sew-in and her hair matted tremendously. She had to cut down to two inches in the front. I am pretty sure it was the two different textures from new growth, harsh shampoo, and poor detangling that contributed to the fiasco. Feel free to pre-poo after a good detangling session. I do.

Back