is it ok to do co-washing with a regular conditioner?

jenn132013

or can I use just a deep conditioner instead? and how many times do you deep condition? do you use shampoo each time you wash your hair?

It depends on your hair's needs.

Typically a weekly routine is like this:

Monday: Shampoo, protein conditioner (optional), deep conditioner (with or without heat), leave in conditioner

Thursday: Co-wash with whatever conditioner

If your hair is extremely dry, then use a deep conditioner...it won't hurt to co wash with it... it might create build up depending on the how thick it is though... Typically I use a light/regular conditioner like Aussie or Wen (Fig).

*Always deep condition when you shampoo. Unless your hair is severely damaged or dry, I would only deep condition once a week. Some natural ladies do it twice a week and that seems to work for them.

Last edited:
I co wash with regular cond or a deep cond. Just depends on what my hair is telling me at that moment.. Or what I have in stock :look:

or can I use just a deep conditioner instead? and how many times do you deep condition? do you use shampoo each time you wash your hair?

jenn132013, I don't co-wash often since I'm low porosity but I have co-washed with a regular and a deep conditioner.

I deep condition once weekly and co-wash as needed. I don't shampoo weekly. I typically alternate my cleansing methods.

Week 1: Shampoo
Week 2: Co-cleanse
Week 3: Shampoo, Co-cleanse or Co-wash (depends on what my hair needs)
Week 4: Clarify / Chelate

I'll Cowash with a Deep Conditioner if it's something I'm trying to get rid of or use up.:look:

I like to Deep Condition with Heat, so I want my DC'ers for that purpose (Either Steamer or Dryer).

I'll use a Regular Conditioner to Cowash with or a Cleansing Conditioner or Cleansing Pudding when I need a deeper cleansing.

I rarely (hardly ever) use Shampoo.

@jenn132013, I don't co-wash often since I'm low porosity but I have co-washed with a regular and a deep conditioner.

I deep condition once weekly and co-wash as needed. I don't shampoo weekly. I typically alternate my cleansing methods.

Week 1: Shampoo
Week 2: Co-cleanse
Week 3: Shampoo, Co-cleanse or Co-wash (depends on what my hair needs)
Week 4: Clarify / Chelate

what does co-cleanse mean?

It depends on your hair's needs.

Typically a weekly routine is like this:

Monday: Shampoo, protein conditioner (optional), deep conditioner (with or without heat), leave in conditioner

Thursday: Co-wash with whatever conditioner

If your hair is extremely dry, then use a deep conditioner...it won't hurt to co wash with it... it might create build up depending on the how thick it is though... Typically I use a light/regular conditioner like Aussie or Wen (Fig).

*Always deep condition when you shampoo. Unless your hair is severely damaged or dry, I would only deep condition once a week. Some natural ladies do it twice a week and that seems to work for them.

thanks..so in that order?

If I cowash (which I don't do as often) I try to do it with a conditioner since it will rinse out better than a DC.

These days I do shampoo with each wash and I do that twice weekly.

Back