Is it ok to braid (w/ your own hair) right after hennaing?

sheanu

I'm planning on doing my first henna soon but is it OK if I do a henna treatment overnight, rinse, deep condition, etc. and then braid right after? Would this interrupt the henna from setting properly?

Thanks for your help!

I *exactly this* every month. Have been for a year and a half...no issues at all.

HTH

Nice :grin: Do you mind sharing your regimen? :sekret: I'm going to get the Jamila from my local indian store but I want to try adding the indigo because I don't think henna-red hair will fly very well on interviews lol

Nice :grin: Do you mind sharing your regimen? :sekret: I'm going to get the Jamila from my local indian store but I want to try adding the indigo because I don't think henna-red hair will fly very well on interviews lol

I too use a locally bought Jamila henna. I don't henna for color though...never have. I use it solely for its strengthening and conditioning properties.

I cornrow my hair using the deep moisture method and wear them under wigs or turbans for 4 weeks at a time. I do everything in those braids - weekly DCs, weekly light or medium PTs, daily moisturizing and sealing, and co-washing 3x per week. I also apply MT to my scalp every other night.

When I take my braids down after the 4 weeks, I pre-poo overnight, detangle, clarify, and DC. I typically wear my hair out for 7-10 days after take-down.

When I'm ready to put the cornrows back in, I henna overnight, rinse thoroughly, then let the DC sit on my hair for a few hours before I cornrow it.

Hope this helps ma!

I too use a locally bought Jamila henna. I don't henna for color though...never have. I use it solely for its strengthening and conditioning properties.

I cornrow my hair using the deep moisture method and wear them under wigs or turbans for 4 weeks at a time. I do everything in those braids - weekly DCs, weekly light or medium PTs, daily moisturizing and sealing, and co-washing 3x per week. I also apply MT to my scalp every other night.

When I take my braids down after the 4 weeks, I pre-poo overnight, detangle, clarify, and DC. I typically wear my hair out for 7-10 days after take-down.

When I'm ready to put the cornrows back in, I henna overnight, rinse thoroughly, then let the DC sit on my hair for a few hours before I cornrow it.

Hope this helps ma!

Yup! It definitely did :yep:. My hair gets over-moisturized very easily. This is part of the reason I want to henna: my hair is baby-fine! I'm off to research this deep moisture method lol. Thanks for the input!

I'm just now seeing this thread. (I don't see thread tags when I post from my ohone). My answer to this question, I've done this in the past and I don't see a problem with it. Just make sure you DC well after henna'ing.:yep:

OP,

I've never tried braiding after henna. I have done henna many times though and nothing that I've experienced suggests that braiding would be a problem.

Your plan sounds fine. I've never had a problem wearing any particular hairstyle after a henna treatment. I've flat-ironed, done braid-outs and twists after henna with no ill-effects to the color.

The only issue that could arise would be skipping a deep conditioning treatment or using hair products that could dry your hair out, but you won't have that problem since you plan to deep condition right after. :)

I have worn Kinky Twist for over a year and a half now. I always take them down, wash with a clairfying shampoo, henna, wash, DC for several hours or overnight and put the braids back in. I do my own braids so they aren't tight at all. This works great for me. I have been 100% natural since Dec. 2010. I retain all my lenght and shed hair is very minimal.
I saw go for it. :)

I'm hennaing right now, I will DC with steam and then braid my hair up for two weeks after this henna treatment. This is routine for me, I henna about ever 6 weeks. I'm working out a lot now, so I co-wash, moisturize and seal often while in my braids. My fine hair is very strong and healthy as a result :)

Do you natural ladies with very fine and relatively straight hair at the nape henna the whole head or leave this part out? I know henna loosens the curl and I don't want a perm-straight nape lol

I have fine hair with a very loose curl pattern at my nape. I still henna all over because henna helps to strengthen my whole head and I sometimes feel that my nape can be more fragile. I have not experienced any straight hair at my nape from henna.

sheanu

Yes, I have fine hair and my nape is silkier than the rest of my hair.

Overall, I haven't experienced the "loosening" that everyone is talking about. I'll admit that when I initially started using henna back in 2009, I was hoping for that effect. My hair was short and I wanted to show more length. It didn't happen.

As for using it before braiding, I do a protein tx before AND after installing extensions. It is a must. I always follow with a very moisturizing deep conditioner.

Back