Is it normal to feel pain while getting NG blown out?

hairedity

I have about 5 months worth of NG, so until I get braids I'm going to the salon to straighten my hair. Now while she blows out the roots, I'm feeling the direct 400 degree heat pan searing my scalp :mwahahafire: They are in quick jolts of a burn here and a burn there, but it was unbearable for me. I was moving and squirming like a kid in the chair. I asked her to angle the blow drier. She said "I can't angle it, we have to do it straight down to get your NG straight". I just couldn't bare it and asked her to angle it again, at this point I told her I don't care for my NG to be dead straight. She said, she can't angle it because the NG must be completely straight or the hair will break.
At the end of blowout, I shocked to see my right eye had teared up.:cry3: So I'm thinking, I don't know:

1) is this normal? Is the stylist correct, is there no other way to straightened the NG w/a blowdrier without burning my scalp?!?!!!?

2) is it because my hair isn't thick?

3) I need to know is that what you ladies go thru?

Thanks for your input ...I'm still tramatized by this mornings appt :sad:

I go through the same thing, but it depends on the stylist. Some stylist dont know what they're doing (or dont care) and other stylist get my hair just as straight without giving me 3rd degree burns on my scalp. Plus I think some of them get annoyed or frustrated when I have alot of new growth so they act a fool when they're blowdrying. :nono: And you my friend have 5 months of NG!!! Good job! But I know your stylist must have been frustrated with that!!! :wallbash:

Last edited:
O I see, so it sounds like it was more a 'pissed of thing' on the part of the stylist. Wow, guess I'll be back to shopping for a new stylist because I know I cannot go thru another one of those episodes and I don't plan on relaxing any time soon.
This was the first time I never left a tip!

Noo....booo to that stylist. She should know how to angle the heat away from your skin :nono: Please try someone else next time.

thank you Flowerhair, I was thinking the same thing all the way home. Love her prices, loved the end result (or the look of it anyway), but I suffered.. so def. time for a new stylists or lessons on how to do the straight look myself!

I'm so sorry--I can almost feel your pain through the computer! I have heard many ladies on the board say that a Dominican blow out isn't the most comfortable thing in the world.

if i were u i'd look for a new one because a lot of dominican stylist hate new growth especialy if you tell them ur not relaxing it once u sit in that chair idk what their problem is sometimes but there are some that are not as rough and anti curl/new growth crazy like nuris in brooklyn all that heat on your scalp is not worth it to me i cant bear it either i feel like hopping out the chair and cussing sometimes:lachen:its just to much damn heat

I have about 5 months worth of NG, so until I get braids I'm going to the salon to straighten my hair. Now while she blows out the roots, I'm feeling the direct 400 degree heat pan searing my scalp :mwahahafire: They are in quick jolts of a burn here and a burn there, but it was unbearable for me. I was moving and squirming like a kid in the chair. I asked her to angle the blow drier. She said "I can't angle it, we have to do it straight down to get your NG straight". I just couldn't bare it and asked her to angle it again, at this point I told her I don't care for my NG to be dead straight. She said, she can't angle it because the NG must be completely straight or the hair will break.
At the end of blowout, I shocked to see my right eye had teared up.:cry3: So I'm thinking, I don't know:

1) is this normal? Is the stylist correct, is there no other way to straightened the NG w/a blowdrier without burning my scalp?!?!!!?

2) is it because my hair isn't thick?

3) I need to know is that what you ladies go thru?

Thanks for your input ...I'm still tramatized by this mornings appt :sad:

lol..yes its exactly what i go thru when i use to get blow outs. it hurts so bad to...but it gets it straight.

I go through the same thing, but it depends on the stylist. Some stylist dont know what they're doing (or dont care) and other stylist get my hair just as straight without giving me 3rd degree burns on my scalp. Plus I think some of them get annoyed or frustrated when I have alot of new growth so they act a fool when they're blowdrying. :nono: And you my friend have 5 months of NG!!! Good job! But I know your stylist must have been frustrated with that!!! :wallbash:

I have to agree that's why I stopped going if I was more than 4 weeks post-relaxer. You should not feel heat burn on your scalp:nono:.

ladies, thank you for the responses. It seems like some have been thru this. It wasn't a Dominican salon I went to, but it sounds like my stylist used the same technique. I'm thinking in hair-school they learn about hair, skin/scalp... therefore they should know better!

Guess I'll have to read some more fotkis to find alternatives.

Indefinite -wow, and you keep going back... I must be a wimp lol!

..I know there are many sayings relating beauty and pain, but this was torture. So nope, as of this moment my stylist is fired!

...so KayKay27, did you say anything to the stylist, or is everybody just sitting, holding breaths until it's over? I don't know how y'all do it, I was telling or TRYING to tell her the whole time how to do it... but as you read, it was to no avail.

So I've already planned that next weekend I'm putting in braids, so I don't have to go thru anything like this for a while :-)

She could tell by my cringing body language that it was hurting me... She just said
" I know mami, im sowwie"

As i looked around the salon, a lot of clients were cringing too.

I loved the results, but beauty hurts.
In the past when I used to request they lighten up on the blow dryer so it wouldnt hurt as much I realized the results werent the same.

When I get a FULL blowout its not as painful, cuz they dont concentrate so much on the roots!

HTH

I def. know the feeling I had my roots blown straight on Monday and "Lawd hammercy!!!" it was cringe city. But it sho did look good and the roots stayed straight for like three days. But I am only 6 weeks post...

...so KayKay27, did you say anything to the stylist, or is everybody just sitting, holding breaths until it's over? I don't know how y'all do it, I was telling or TRYING to tell her the whole time how to do it... but as you read, it was to no avail.

So I've already planned that next weekend I'm putting in braids, so I don't have to go thru anything like this for a while :-)

lol..basically
it doesn't matter, they get it straight the way they are doing it.

Back