IS IT NECESSARY TO CUT HAIR BECAUSE OF BREAKAGE?

Kiki82

JUST WONDERING. I HAD A FRIEND WHO HAD BREAKAGE IN THE MIDDLE OF HER HEAD, AND SHE CUT HER HAIR HALLIE BERRY SHORT. WHEN MY HAIR BREAKS AT THE NAPE MY STYLIST ALWAYS WANTS TO CUT OR SHAVE DOWN THE BACK TO START FROM SCRATCH.

IS THIS NECESSARY?? OR CAN HAIR BE NURSED BACK TO HEALTH AFTER THIS DAMAGE IS DONE?? IF SO, WHAT CAN BE DONE INSTEAD OF DRASTICALLY CUTTING HAIR?

KIKI82

Last edited:
1. kiki what town are u in? i used to live on the queens/nassau border in bellerose/floral park

2. i don't think you need to cut off unless there's splits at the end of the hair. in which case just trim to right above the splits.

3. if no splits, no cut! you gotta get to the cause of the breakage and fix that with either moisture, new styling techniques etc....

I don't think it' s absolutly necessary to cut hair , IMO you must have a good regimen and have a special care for the breaking area , sometimes you must cut damaged hair but just the hair that need to be cut.
Cecilie .

Some people may be able to do that, but sometimes when the breakage is severe it is better to just cut it off...Or trim it off gradually. What is probably more important is to figure out what is causing the breakage. Like if it is moisture, then deep condtion like crazy or protien treatment if it needs protien. Some other ladies probably can add better responses.

1. kiki what town are u in? i used to live on the queens/nassau border in bellerose/floral park

2. i don't think you need to cut off unless there's splits at the end of the hair. in which case just trim to right above the splits.

3. if no splits, no cut! you gotta get to the cause of the breakage and fix that with either moisture, new styling techniques etc....

IN FLORAL PARK...:grin:

My nape use to break off constantly and my stylist would always cut it. However, that never solved the problem. The key is to find out what is causing the breakage. If you do not have major damage and splits, there is no need to cut or shave that area.

Honestly, it is NOT necessary for you to cut off hair that has breakage unless it has split ends or severly damage.

I currently have breakage at my nape & in the middle near the back of my head where it broke off. I am nursing my hair back to health especially after figuring out the cause to my breakage was do to wearing banana clips where it was pulling too tight on one side and cutting my hair in the middle.

So hair can be nurse back especially when you KNOW the cause!

THese are pics of my breakage, I don't have pics yet of the updated growth yet since my hair is in a weave.

It depends on where the breakage is.. If it's the nape, they I'll leave it, but if it's on the top/middle of your head, then cut it.

Honestly, it is NOT necessary for you to cut off hair that has breakage unless it has split ends or severly damage.

I currently have breakage at my nape & in the middle near the back of my head where it broke off. I am nursing my hair back to health especially after figuring out the cause to my breakage was do to wearing banana clips where it was pulling too tight on one side and cutting my hair in the middle.

THese are pics of my breakage, I don't have pics yet of the updated growth yet since my hair is in a weave.

YOUR FIRST AND SECOND PICTURE LOOKS LIKE ONE SIDE OF MY NAPE. FROM BEHIND THE LEFT EAR TO THE END. SO SPOTS ARE LONGER SOME ARE SHORTER. I CUT MY HAIR TO ABOUT SL, AND NOW I AM WONDERING IF THAT WAS WORTH IT BECAUSE IT ISN'T HELPING MY NAPE.

i dont believe so. my hair was breakin something awful b4 this board (see siggy) i just let it grow out and evened it up some along the way :yep:

what are u doing to nurse it back to health?
those banana clips can be the devil!

I'm thinking the same thing.

I don't think a cut is necessary. A trim if the breakage is due to split ends and then constant babying (DC DT etc..) while trying to find & resolve the source of breakage.

I had breakage when i didnt detangle properly (before LHCF.) It is growing back. ITA that you should find the culprit and nip it in the bud. if you decide to nurse it back to health, I would pay close attention to the breakage b/c the longer hair might interrupt the shorter hair from growing w/ all the friction. HTH

I definately don't think it's necessary to cut the hair unless you choose to do so for style purposes.

I had a mishap in November when the shampoo girl did not properly rinse the relaxer and I have breakage up to my ears in my nape.:wallbash: Do you think I cut my BSL to a halle berry cut...Heck naw! I took a 7 month break from relaxers and when I did relax luckily my hair is thick enough to cover it well.

I will say if the breakage is to the point where your style is not flattering and you truly don't like it then let it go. There are some short and oh so sassy styles I've seen, like this one member, I can't remember her name but in her siggy her hair is black, shiny, neck to shoulder length with layers:love:...had me reachin for the scissors.

Well healthy good looking hair is what you want then I would recommend cutting the hair to a healthy manageable style. If your friend is going to the shop to get her hair relaxed and her hair is breaking at the nape of the neck it is most likely that the perm is not all being washed out. Think about it...when you are putting your hair in the wash bowl at the salon the nape of your neck is at the edge of the bowl and some chemicals could still be left on the nape of the neck. So my recommendation would be to make sure her stylist throughly washes out and neutralizes the relaxer. If her hair is breaking in other areas, she needs to find the reason for the breakage...is it her styling techniques, is she over processing her hair, does she need moisture. This is my second day on the forum and I am enjoying giving and receiving hair care information! Good luck!

My stylist always shaves (or gives me an edge up) everytime or almost every time I go to get a relaxer. And I agree with y'all shaving the area doesn't help the situation.

Last summer, I noticed I had some breakage in the middle of my hair. I have below shoulder length hair, but those broken hairs were about an inch long. I decided to up the moisture and I especially babied that area by applying a lot of moisturizer. I did a lot more co-washes and conditioning treatments. That area is now 5 inches long :grin:

Now I noticed that the hair on my nape - on the right side - has some breakage (I got that from using banana clips a few times a week). I'm going to trim those broken hairs, and baby that area until it catches up with the rest of my hair.

If you ends are very damaged or you have split ends, I'd say yes. Otherwise just take extra care of them.

what are u doing to nurse it back to health?
those banana clips can be the devil!

Right now I am doing weaves for low maniuplation and moisturizing it at least 3x a week with a leave in conditioner and sealing with oil.

I am alternating relaxing the nape area. SO my next relaxer I will not be relaxing the nape.

Then when I do wear my hair without weaves I keep the nape area braided. Doing the same thing for the my other breakage area as well. Along with moisturizing it. Once I take out my weave I will post a pic to see if it's improving.

Also been staying away from BANANA clips and tight low pony tails which have caused breakage as well.

JUST WONDERING. I HAD A FRIEND WHO HAD BREAKAGE IN THE MIDDLE OF HER HEAD, AND SHE CUT HER HAIR HALLIE BERRY SHORT. WHEN MY HAIR BREAKS AT THE NAPE MY STYLIST ALWAYS WANTS TO CUT OR SHAVE DOWN THE BACK TO START FROM SCRATCH.

IS THIS NECESSARY?? OR CAN HAIR BE NURSED BACK TO HEALTH AFTER THIS DAMAGE IS DONE?? IF SO, WHAT CAN BE DONE INSTEAD OF DRASTICALLY CUTTING HAIR?

KIKI82
I had major breakage (mainly from daily, direct heat) when I first came to LHCF. I didn't cut my hair, I learned how to restore it to health with the tips here and for me, by leaving heat alone.

The breakage is already like a cut and the uneven pieces, like your friend had in the middle of her head, will grow out. There's no reason to cut off the rest of one's hair to match the breakage, unless one wants a particular style.

I had major breakage (mainly from daily, direct heat) when I first came to LHCF. I didn't cut my hair, I learned how to restore it to health with the tips here and for me, by leaving heat alone.

The breakage is already like a cut and the uneven pieces, like your friend had in the middle of her head, will grow out. There's no reason to cut off the rest of one's hair to match the breakage, unless one wants a particular style.

that's what i thought...

Thanks

This is a great thread!

I have been wondering the same thing myself. I have (...or HAD...) a huge breakage spot in the center-rear of my crown. Literally broke down to the scalp!!:blush: Since I joined LHCF, I have found the root of the problem and have been nursing the area, along with my whole head, back to good health. But this particular section, no matter how much growth I experience, will Always be shorter than the rest of the entire head. I was wondering if I should cut too, but I don't want to cut my growth. Sadly enought, I feel I have not choice.:wallbash:

Great thread!!

This is a great thread!

I have been wondering the same thing myself. I have (...or HAD...) a huge breakage spot in the center-rear of my crown. Literally broke down to the scalp!!:blush: Since I joined LHCF, I have found the root of the problem and have been nursing the area, along with my whole head, back to good health. But this particular section, no matter how much growth I experience, will Always be shorter than the rest of the entire head. I was wondering if I should cut too, but I don't want to cut my growth. Sadly enought, I feel I have not choice.:wallbash:

Great thread!!

ALL stylist make it look like they have to take drastic measures....that is why I asked the question. I still cut my hair to SL but thought it was a total waste of all the year progress that I made because that particular area always breaks. So now I will be nursing it back to health...

You have a choice girlie....I say don't cut your growth....try to take care of that section a little more...

Right now I am doing weaves for low maniuplation and moisturizing it at least 3x a week with a leave in conditioner and sealing with oil.

I am alternating relaxing the nape area. SO my next relaxer I will not be relaxing the nape.

Then when I do wear my hair without weaves I keep the nape area braided. Doing the same thing for the my other breakage area as well. Along with moisturizing it. Once I take out my weave I will post a pic to see if it's improving.

Also been staying away from BANANA clips and tight low pony tails which have caused breakage as well.

Me too. I realized my nape area is weak - I shouldn't relax it too often.

Well healthy good looking hair is what you want then I would recommend cutting the hair to a healthy manageable style. If your friend is going to the shop to get her hair relaxed and her hair is breaking at the nape of the neck it is most likely that the perm is not all being washed out. Think about it...when you are putting your hair in the wash bowl at the salon the nape of your neck is at the edge of the bowl and some chemicals could still be left on the nape of the neck. So my recommendation would be to make sure her stylist throughly washes out and neutralizes the relaxer. If her hair is breaking in other areas, she needs to find the reason for the breakage...is it her styling techniques, is she over processing her hair, does she need moisture. This is my second day on the forum and I am enjoying giving and receiving hair care information! Good luck!
I have been saying this all along..I relax my hair bone straight and have never experienced any breakage and I attribute it to the fact that I neutralize my hair to death after a touchup.. I really think breakage is brought on because the relaxer is not properly washed out...

Back