Is it me or has things changed that much?

jellynote

I made a hair appt for this coming friday for a relaxer and she told me $50 for the relaxer, but if I want a trim it'll be $55. I thought that if you got a professional relaxer that the trim comes with it am I wrong? I haven't had a stylist put in my relaxer for about a year. I mean $50 or $55 isn't that bad, but I was just wondering about that.

thanks ladies /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Jelly, it depends on who does your hair. I have been going to the same stylist for a few years, the cut is included with the relaxer, but my mother's stylist, who she is trying to get me to try, charges extra for EVERYTHING.

Unfortunately some stylists do charge extra for trims, even if you're getting a relaxer. Mine is included thank goodness.

[ QUOTE ]
Just be glad the trim is only $5. My last stylists' trims were $20.00, no matter what you got.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good God $20 I would not be getting a trim or anything else extra unless I really needed it. The last time she did my relaxer she didn't charge me for a trim, but that was a year ago and the salon is now under new management.

Um, all the stylists that I have went to DO NOT charge for trims. It's supposed to come with the style. When I get relaxers my stylists automatically trims my hair (unless I tell her not to) just because it's good to trim off dead ends on freshly permed hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Just be glad the trim is only $5. My last stylists' trims were $20.00, no matter what you got.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO
My salon is trying to be upscale. I just say no to $20 trims. I live down the block from Supercuts, and my ends have stayed even from a trim 6 months ago.

I thought you weren't supposed to cut/trim freshly relaxed hair? Or is it that you aren't supposed to trim before relaxing? Just wondering....

[ QUOTE ]
Um, all the stylists that I have went to DO NOT charge for trims. It's supposed to come with the style. When I get relaxers my stylists automatically trims my hair (unless I tell her not to) just because it's good to trim off dead ends on freshly permed hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought that trim is suppose to be part of the package if your getting a relaxer.

It use to be part of the touch up but now everywhere I go they charge you. They still have the nerve to get mad when you say no. They should pay for it if it upsets them that much. My last official stylist use to charge 15 and went up to 20. She lost of few customers that day.

My stylist doesnt charge. But even if she started, I'd still go to her because she KNOWS what she's talking about when it comes to hair (agrees with practically everything I've read her from the LHCF) is a healthy hair advocate, and isnt scissor happy. Its hard to find a stylist like that.

I pay $65.00 for a relaxer touch up at the JC Penney Salon, and it includes a trim. However, the stylist may have determined you needed a cut, and so therefore charged you accordingly.

northernbelle

When I was relaxed, my stylists ALWAYS charged for a trim. Luckily, it was only an extra $5 or $10. Some places charge $20.

If I went to her for a regular shampoo and style she would trim my ends anyway without charging me extra. I guess the new management changed up things a little and now if I want a trim along with my retouch it's $55. That's not bad I just thought that at one time it was included.

Okay, how about I got a relaxer touchup yesterday and all wanted was for the stylist to put my hair in a bun. I don't have enough to make the bun as full as I like it, so I even brought my own hair.

She did an okay job on the bun, but I had to make her redo it twice. First, she was going to put it on the side of my head like I'm some sort of ghetto chick or something. I cannot walk around looking like I just stepped out of a Star Wars movie /images/graemlins/dork.gif

Then, when she moved it to the back of my head, the made the bun just as big as my head. Now I told her that I wanted it full, but not so full that people automatically know that its not my hair. Needless to say, I made her redo that one. /images/graemlins/spank.gif

The final product was okay, but check this out. She charged me $65!!!!! $45.00 was for the touchup and $20 for the bun. I was like HELL NAW!!!! /images/graemlins/whip.gif

I am NEVER going to get her to do anything for me other than my relaxers and the occasional roller wrap. I'll just do everything else on my own.

kitty18 I don't blame you the fact that she charged extra for the bun would make me /images/graemlins/angry2.gif Now my stylist does all of that without charging me extra. That's just for my shampoo and style and I use to get a french roll with hair added. The things we do to get a good style. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks jellynote. I always thought that the style was included in the price of the relaxer. That was always the case before. She never charged me extra for the rollerwraps. Like I said, now I know and knowing is half the battle. LOL!!!

I would sort of be glad if a stylist charged for trims. Then you can ensure they won't trim when you don't want them to because they will be holding out for the cash. $5 seems reasonable but $20 is just out of line.

reading these stories makes me LOVE my stylist from my permed days. touch up $35 ..wash and set $25 ..the most i have EVER paid my stylist was $50..that was her doing a touch up after months of braids and giving me a good cut..a regular touch up included my trim, eye brow arching, style...whatever..and of COURSE i tipped her for her wonderful services.

i stepped away from her ONE time and went RUNNING BACK! my father was in the hospital..i just didnt have time so i went to a place close by the house. the lady charged for my wash & set and for my trim (which she said i needed) i was like.."ok"

i go back the next week for a rinse (that didnt EVEN TAKE) she tells me.."u need a good trim" my response.."that is what i paid u to do LAST WEEK!" that was the LAST time i went to that place. i learned quickly..if it aint broke..dont try to fix it.

[ QUOTE ]
I made a hair appt for this coming friday for a relaxer and she told me $50 for the relaxer, but if I want a trim it'll be $55. I thought that if you got a professional relaxer that the trim comes with it am I wrong? I haven't had a stylist put in my relaxer for about a year. I mean $50 or $55 isn't that bad, but I was just wondering about that.

thanks ladies /images/graemlins/wave.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It seems as though this varies from one hair stylist to another (even from one salon to another).

[ QUOTE ]
I thought you weren't supposed to cut/trim freshly relaxed hair? Or is it that you aren't supposed to trim before relaxing? Just wondering....

[/ QUOTE ]
I have never heard of this. I wonder what difference it would make (since most people only get their new growth relaxed). I've gotten a cut/trim after a relaxer touch-up (many times), and I've never had a problem.

Back