Is it just me or is Stretching Addictive...

mommatide said:
I THINK THE LONGER YOUR HAIR IS, THE EASIER IT IS TO STRETCH. WHEN YOU HAVE LONGER HAIR (AT LEAST 4-5 INCHES BELOW SHOULDER), YOU CAN DO ANYTHING OR NOTHING AT ALL AND IT LOOKS SOMEWHAT CUTE. AND YOU HAVE WEIGHT AND MOVEMENT.

IF IT'S SHORT OR JUST SKIMMING THE SHOULDERS, IT LOOKS REAL TIRED AND HOMELY WHEN THAT SERIOUS N/G ROLLS IN:lachen: THEN YOU HAVE TO START WEARING THOSE BORING (SOME ARE) PROTECTIVE HAIRSTYLES. BUT, IT'S SO GOOD FOR THE HAIR THAT I JUST DEAL WITH IT, AND JUST KEEP MY EYE'S AN THE PRIZE.

I agree with you. The longer your hair is the helps to weigh down the new growth that you have. But I think it's possible for most people with shorter hair like mine to stretch (at least there is no reason to go every 6-8 weeks). I also think people with long hair who stretch have more styling options, since I have short hair, I've been in a ponytail/baggie for the last couple of weeks. I love Sylver2's scarf method, and have used that in the past. But I think it will look even cuter when my hair is longer.

The only problem I have with stretching is staying looking PRESENTABLE :arguing: ,my shoudler blade length hair seems strink up to neck length with all the newgrowth. And I start to look a hot mess.

So I try and maniuplate it more to look decent which must lead to breakage.
After week 7/8 its :wave: :wave: nice flowing hair that I can handle and hello
fight with new-growth.

I think the longer it gets it must be easier to stretch, I hope so anyway.

Kizzy

I am definitely addicted. I'm at 9 weeks. The only other time I went longer was 13 weeks, and I was going to the Dominican salon every week for a blowout. I'm happy to say it's under control, and I've only been to the Dominican salon once. I was planning to relax before the end of the year, but I think I can last at least another month, or two...or three...or four. My name is Miesha and I'm addicted to stretching my relaxer...

RabiaElaine said:
I'm serious ladies, now that I am almost 12 weeks post relaxer, I feel like I can go longer.

ITA! :p TODAY is my 16-week mark and the day I am supposed to relax and I just am laid back kicking it like I could go ahead and go through the end of the year! There were rough spots along the way but I learned how to DEAL with them and make my hair look decent in the process! I love stretching and it feels good to know that I am greatly reducing the # of times my beloved tresses will be exposed to the creamy crack! :look:

HoneyDew said:
13) What method are you using to dry?
I blowdry, air dry and sit under the dryer. I prefer to blowdry, though. but I use protective serums to prevent damage.

I have no breakage - just the normal shedding. This is exciting for me. I have always had breakage problems.

Thanks to everyone that answered me! I've tried airdrying and it just doesn't work for me. So I would need to rollerset to dry and flat iron the roots. I would only do this 1x per week.

I've tried Sylver2's scarf method several times in several variations, but it just doesn't work for me...

Again, thanks for the input!

A

I'm sitting at work staring at my new growth in a mirror I have strategically placed so I can monitor my hair and make up through out the day (I know I'm obsessed). Anyway I'm kind of getting depressed that I plan to relax next week, these small waves from the new growth look so cute to me. I really need to take a picture and post it. I guess I can see how some people stretch themselves into being natural :grin:

Absolutely! I stretched to 11 weeks last time (failed transition), and I couldn't believe how easy it was. I also can't believe I used to relax every 4-5 weeks. As SOON as I felt a little wave, I was running to the salon. My NG always felt so hard and dry (hello, I wasn't washing or moisturizing it!), so I assumed I was one who couldn't go longer than 6 weeks. Now that I have learned so much from this board, my NG is soft. I'm 4 weeks out right now, and I almost thought my hair wasn't growing, but I realize now that taking care of my hair has made all the difference.

I'm also obsessed with every little kink and wave in my head and I'm acutally not really looking foward to the relaxer. I plan to go 11 weeks, and if I'm still ok, then I'll go 12-14.

lauren450 said:
I'm also obsessed with every little kink and wave in my head and I'm acutally not really looking foward to the relaxer. I plan to go 11 weeks, and if I'm still ok, then I'll go 12-14.

I agree with you on that ... I've been staring at my hair in a mirror on my desk all day...

:sekret: shhhh...don't tell anyone...I pulled out a strand of hair from the root today too and have left it on my desk so that I could stare at the new growth...I should be committed...ha

msbrown76 said:
I am definitely addicted. I'm at 9 weeks. The only other time I went longer was 13 weeks, and I was going to the Dominican salon every week for a blowout. I'm happy to say it's under control, and I've only been to the Dominican salon once. I was planning to relax before the end of the year, but I think I can last at least another month, or two...or three...or four. My name is Miesha and I'm addicted to stretching my relaxer...

:) I am currently at nine weeks too and I just cancelled my appointment for a touch up. The last time I stretched for any length of time was when I was in high school! I would go three months between touch-ups, but my ends were so see-thru it was ridiculous!

I have learned so much from this board about taking better care of my hair...keeping it moisturized is the key for me. My stylist would probably laugh at me if I came in to get a touch-up now. You can't really tell I have NG b/c it's so soft!;)

Isis said:
That's a long time!! What happened to make you want to do less than a year?
just the amount of time it takes for me to detangle a years worth or new growth. flat ironing takes about 2 hours. its all too much like torture. i'm glad i've tried it, now i know what all my different textures are and roughly how much a year of new growth is.

Thanks for bumping this up. I'm currently at about 9 weeks post and I'm going to texlax next week. I thought I would only texlax 4 times a year but this year it's going to be five times.

Next year I may just push for two six month stretches. It's not that hard for me since I was natural for six years. But I texlax based on how my hair is doing and what I think it needs. I'm my own stylist.

Now if I can just stop trimming (laughs). People tell me my ends are sooo thick, but I see stray hairs and get to snipping. (laughs) I gotta stop if I want to see growth. So I promise no trimming for 8 more weeks. That should allow me to see at least two full inches of growth (including what new growth I have now)

I think I will go back to stretching 12+ weeks.:)
My longest stretch was 17 weeks and I loved it.
I hate relaxing at 10 weeks b/c it feels like my hair didn't grow at all.:ohwell:

Well I haven't begun to stretch yet, but I am due for a relaxer this month and am actually excited about not getting one :lol: I am trying to stretch until August and feel good about it. I am getting better at blowdrying my roots and it's really helping me to control the new growth that I do have.

this is so me.. currently i am 10 weeks post and wouldnt even consider a relaxer yet... I stretched for 12months so 10 weeks feels like 10 days for me.

What makes it more addictive for me is my believed notion that the longer I stretch the more happy i would be when it comes relaxer time as i should have some substantial growth

Last edited:
I've stretched for 6 months and i was very pleased with my growth results, i plan to do another stretch probably just four months, to decrease demarcation breakage.

Strectching is very addictive for me as well...
I enjoy stretching during the fall & winter months, the spring and summer months I stretch 10 weeks no more..... The sun and heat bring lots of moisture to my hair so I wear my hair down a lot and during cooler months I bun 95% of the time so its much easier for me to stretch then...

I think you get used to it. I had to start stretching kinda against my will, but I went with it and now I dont' even think about it. The days of getting that relaxer every 6 weeks or so seem far away and the concept is even strange to me now.

As you get to know your texture and learn how to manage the two together (that can take some time)... who wants to be all up in the salon all the time getting chemical treatments and spending that money? Now we know we don't HAVE to do that. It's a new day for she who discovers the wonders of successful stretching!

This is only my second stretch and I'm definitely addicted. I went 11 weeks last time...going for 12-16 this time.

I can feel my hair getting thicker. I must admit, stretching with short hair is no joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a constant challenge to find ways to keep myself cute, without too much manipulation. I resort to flexi rod sets that I redo every three days after a co-wash. and only comb on my "big" wash day (once a week on Sat. or Sun.) So far, so good.

I had to blow my hair out this past weekend because my ng was starting to coil together. :eek: All is well now! I think I may blow my hair out every two weeks to prevent this in the future.

I so wish I'd know about this years ago.

Im am currently 4mos post and planning to relax sometime in August. I wouldnt mind going longer because I love how thick and strong my NG is but I cant rock that many styles like I'd like to. Its not as hard as I thought. Some days are better than others but I have learned a lot about patience.;)

I looove goinh months without my relaxer. I like the benifits of it. it keeps my hair thick and healthy.:grin:

Yes very addictive...I'm so far 2 months today. Hopefully i last to the New Year thats my goal. I gain alot of growth so just for 2 months I guess that Bt kicking in as well as the vitamins are working. Wish me luck ladies!!!:)

Stretching is addictive. I use to stretch prior to discovering the board simply because I kept it in braids or a sew-in weaves. I DONT like getting relaxers. I also attempted to transition prior to discovering the board but I was un aware of how to manage my hair so I gave in and relaxer my hair at aout the 8-9 month mark.

I'm at the 3 month mark currently.

Because my hair used to grow so slowly and poorly, I could stretch for months at a time. Since I started taking care of it, about 12 weeks is as long as I can go, because it's growing like wildfire.

I last relaxed March 30th, and I thought about stretching to the end of June to make it 3 months but looking at it wet last week... it's a jungle in there. I don't want it to get any worse, my hair gets to a certain point and then it's just bad. So I'm relaxing today!

It will be my first salon relaxer in.......probably........10 yrs or so. I've watched them do several relaxers and they do them better than I ever could. I'm hoping to stretch longer this go round and not have to relax again till close to the end of the year.

Back