Is it just me or is airdrying drying?

NinasLongAmbition

Ok. I just started cowashing everyother day and yea my hair feels great but when I finsih airdrying it seems like all that moisture is gone? I dont know what to do , I want to give this cowashing frequently a shot but I cant blowdry and I dont have time rollerset after each wash, give me some ideas? Please. And yea after I washI do put some daur amla oil in my hair but the next day when its completely dry or when it does get dry it looks as if the oil is gone

the last time i co washed and airdried. I got soooooooooooo much dryness. My hair started breaking because of it. If i airdry in a rollerset I still get dryness but airdrying after cowashing wasn't good for me at all:nono:

Yup, it is drying.

I have been at this haircare thing for 3 years and I just CANNOT get consistent good results with airdrying.

Sometimes my hair is extra smooth, and the rest of the time, it's just dry as heck.
Personally, I think rollersetting is the BEST thing to keep moisture in the hair. Unfortunately, I can't rollerset and I don't have money to go to the salon every week.

One thing that can help though, is to slather your hair with hair moisturizer + oil to seal right when you get out the shower. That will seal some moisture in. Even then, for me, I still don't get consistent results with that:ohwell:

When airdrying I use alot more product than I would if I rollerset. When I get out I squeeze the water from my hair and then add some conditioner back into my hair. If I have alot of NG I put Amla oil directly on my head, mostly the crown area. Then I put Garnier L&S leave in all over and esp on the ends, profectiv and conditioner on my ends.
I guess it is more drying than rollersetting, but I compensate by using more moisturizing products.

It was drying for me until I found products that actually worked on my hair in the following order after washing and conditioning: I use a leave-in conditioner, then a hair moisturizer, and then I seal. The result for me is airdried moisturized hair.

Also I dc 2-3x a week.

Also I take care of my hair's porosity issues by doing an ACV rinse.

EXACTLY! This was key for me also. I love airdrying and my hair is not dry at all.

C

It was drying for me until I found products that actually worked on my hair in the following order after washing and conditioning: I use a leave-in conditioner, then a hair moisturizer, and then I seal. The result for me is airdried moisturized hair.

Also I dc 2-3x a week.

If I airdry my hair after combing it and leaving it loose, I get very dry hair. If I don't comb it and just let it dry curly, it's softer, and curls more defined. If I do it up in a french braid or bun, it dries the softest. So for me, the more gathered up my strands are while damp, the softer they are when they are dry.

I have tried severl times to do this and ended up with straw hard brilo pad hair. That snap crackled and pop once all the way dry. Lost tons of hair trying to do this and do the healthy hair thing. And when I go to flat iron I end up with no movement or body in my hair.

What moisturizer and conditioner do you use? Are you relaxed and wear your hair out in straight or curled styles?

Also I dc 2-3x a week.

No it's not just you, when I was texturized I had this issue as well, until I started doing the baggying method. So after doing that consistently, it helped to keep my hair from drying out. But as of now that I done went natural, I only baggy like every 2 days depending on the products I've used (I'm testing stuffs to find more staples LOL).

It can be drying but the key is to moisturize and seal right after your wash, and the fact whether or not you are using shampoo, CW or using a pre poo factors in to how you hair will react

I cant airdry. Ive tried for about 1 1/2 years and it's just not for me. My hair always dries hard and crunchy when I airdry. Now I rollerset after every wash to dry. :yep:

Also I dc 2-3x a week.

This is the key, airdrying used to dry out my hair also until I found the right products. Also keep in mind you might need different products than the ones you use when you use heat to dry your hair

I air dry. The results can be drying or un predictable until you find the right mix of product.

When I get out of the shower. I lightly soak uo the drippy/wet ends with a paper towel. using a towel sucks away too much moisture
THen I spreay in leave in conditioner such as infusium or apHogee

Next I add a cream based product right now I have a revlon texture cream. I will have to look at the bottle to see the name. But Mango butter works, so does pink oil./

Then quickly style. I just have to make sure the cream is worked in.

Then DONT touch your hair. It makes it dry weird and frizzy.

I get good results air drying. I think this works better the longer your hair is. In my "air drying tips" I always recommend NOT toweling the hair or squeezing it or anything, but letting it air dry from sopping wet. This helps because the weight of the water helps pull the hair smoother. (if that makes sense)

I also agree with the ladies about the right mix of products. I also comb through my hair periodically while it's air drying.

Airdrying does not work for me. I tried it a couple times and knew that was not for me. I rollerset and sit under the dryer and my hair is so moist.

I have tried severl times to do this and ended up with straw hard brilo pad hair. That snap crackled and pop once all the way dry. Lost tons of hair trying to do this and do the healthy hair thing. And when I go to flat iron I end up with no movement or body in my hair.

What moisturizer and conditioner do you use? Are you relaxed and wear your hair out in straight or curled styles?

The leave-in I use is The Conditioner by Paul Mitchell.

The moisturizer I use is a homemade glycerine mix. I use Salerm 21 or LacioLacio with it.

I seal with castor oil.

Before I started transitioning (I was fully relaxed), I did this and wore curly and straight styles with the aide of my curling and flat iron. Now, I do this on hair that is partially relaxed and partially natural.

Also I dc 2-3x a week.

I totally agree. Airdrying CAN be drying until you find the right combination for your hair. For me, I use Africa's Best leave-in hair mayo and seal with warm Vatika oil- and I definitely found this through trial and error:yep:. I also agree with another poster that I use more product when I'm airdrying than when I'm rollersetting. HTH

I forgot! I also NEVER try to comb airdried hair- breakage city:nono::nono::nono:. I braid it up, put a scarf on it and wear it that. I also found it stays more moisturized if I put it in 2 pinned up plaits (pocahantas style) instead of just one.

Last edited:
Here's what I did....
I stopped airdrying.

Everytime I try to return to airdrying. I regret it. :wallbash:

For me it is much better to lightly blow dry my hair.

I think the trick is to put your moisturizer on BEFORE it drys and you will need to braid it or twist it or somehow tie it up so its not loose and flying. If I wait until after my hair is dry to put on my leave in it never gets moisturized. HTH!

I was just noticing my dry hair today. The hair in crown of my head is 4a and the rest of my hair is 3c:perplexed. I was noticing this morning that the hair on my crown was really dry. I actually slept in a plastic cap last night to up the moisture. I skipped my co-wash last night. I am going to do a DC tonight with a hot oil treatment. I am only 7weeks post and am trying to stretch for the sake of my 3c hair. I am thinking about getting braids on Saturday and wear them for 4 weeks b4 getting the touch-up.

i don't think airdrying is for me either, i'll rather gently blowdry on a low setting, i find that i get sheds of strands when i airdry, my hair also feels too mushy this was my experience. So Sunday I was so anxious to try my new concoction blended with a mixture of shea butter, avacodo butter, coconut milk, honey, silk amino acid, blk castor oil and evoo, i named this experiment butter cream:lick: anywhooo... after i let it marinate overnight, i rinsed it out in the shower, co washed with my HE hello hydration coconut conditioner. It felt sooo detangly soft and silky. Next, i rinsed out the con, applied infusium 23 leave in and a HE leave in cream conditioner, sealed w/coconut oil, and hey whatayano.... My hair is dry and dull :wallbash: What did i do wrong???

I think the trick is to put your moisturizer on BEFORE it drys and you will need to braid it or twist it or somehow tie it up so its not loose and flying. If I wait until after my hair is dry to put on my leave in it never gets moisturized. HTH!
That is exactly what I do. Put on the leave in and JBCO and plait my hair and its so soft and moist when dry.

My hair use to be dry after airdrying. What I do now is spritz water, glycerin, shea butter and coconut oil and its very moist afterwards. Could be the product, I don't know

Back