Is it even possible??

Hi! I’m currently transitioning out of my relaxer to become natural and have 3B type hair. It’s already been 1 year and my goal is to transition for the next 2 years so that I’ll have a total of 3 years of new growth (if my calculations are correct, that should be middle back length!). Lately though it has gotten EXTREMELY difficult to comb my hair through the point where the two different textures of hair meet. My question for you is do you think it’s even possible to transition for 3 years??? Do you know of anyone who has successfully done it? My patience is starting to reach it’s end! Any tips on handling the two different textures? PLEASE write back. Thanx!

I don't know how long Hairlove or Peachtree have been transitioning but maybe they can help with managing the two textures.

Here's a thought: Would you be comfortable in braids...doing the Crown and Glory Method? ( www.growafrohairlong.com ) I just think that leaving your hair well alone might prevent it from wear and tear of everyday styling, hence help preserve it. Also, you won't have to deal with the difficulties of combing it that you mention day in, day out. Just a thought.

Hello.
wave.gif

I agree with Nonie in that you may wish to try an approach that involves very little manipulation i.e. The Crown and Glory method (that's what I did). Via this method, I was able to transition from "just on my neck length" to almost bra-strap in a year and a half without doing a big chop or suffering much breakage at the line of demarcation. For whatever reason I was insistent upon holding on to my relaxed hair even though it looked a hot mess (two textures and two colors) whenever I wasn't in braids. I was also prepared to do it for as long as I felt I needed. I ended up wearing falls and phony ponies when out of braids, but I still had difficulty working with my hair due to the two textures and not having much experience with my natural growth as it grew in.

As I progressed, my relaxed ends would get very tangled and knot up, but I pushed on through and kept going back into braids. The relaxed hair began to break-off from the ends more so than from the line of demarcation and eventually I had them snipped off once I achieved a length that I was comfortable with.

In theory, I believe that the concept is one that should work. However, based on my experience, I don't know how long your relaxed hair will hold on. I was pleasantly surprised that mine did for as long as it did. I suggest that if you do decide to use braids that you make sure to still follow a good hair routine-do not neglect it. Continue to keep your scalp clean, don't braid too tight and keep your hair moisturized!

I wish you success, as I do believe that it is possible.
wink.gif

Thanx so much for the responses ladies. I've never thought about doing the Crown N Glory method but i might give it a try. I'm supposed to get my hair cornrowed this weekend which will give me a lil break from my hair which i need despretely! LOL

Zola, how lond did u transition for?

I'd like to think it is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. Most women I know who did a long transition didn't make it past the two year mark. A co-worker of mine tried to do a long one, but the challenge of managing two different hair textures got on her nerves. She just cut off the relaxed hair and kept her hair braided up. Her transition lasted about 20 months.

Speaking for myself, my transition (from a texturizer) ended after 16 months. I wanted to go two years too but the texturized hair became very discolored and tangled. I just went in and cut the rest of it away. My hair was shorter than I was accustomed to, but I wasn't worried about it. I figured as long as I take care of it, the length will get here soon enough.

IMO if you decided to continue your transition for a while keep your hair braided. If you do the braid thing, watch out for braiders who use too much tension on your scalp. I'm seeing a lot of women losing their hair due to excessively tight braids. Also keep your hair conditioned and clean. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Back