Is Hair Shedding After A Relaxer Normal?

Melissa Neal

I hadn't relaxed my hair for awhile. Probably a few months. I had like 2 inches of new growth. I have really thick hair. So I only relax my leave out. The rest of my hair is in a weave. I didn't comb my hair before relaxing. Idk if that makes a difference or not. But anyways.. I relaxed my new growth and washed it out and noticed shedding. It wasn't a whole lot. It was more like I was washing out the relaxed and saw 3 pieces of hair fall into the drain, and I was still washing and saw another like 3 or 4 pieces shedding and still washing to make sure I got every bit of relaxer out and saw like 4 or 5 pieces shedding. Then I started to apply the conditioner and rubbed it all over my leave out and looked at my hands and I had like 10 long pieces of hair stuck to the conditioner on my hands. So after I left the conditioner on for a few minutes I rinsed it out and saw a few pieces of hair go into the drain again. Probably like 5 short pieces. Then I put a protein treatment in my hair and this time when I applied the protein treatment I didn't really see as much hair shedding like on my hands but I did see a little. Maybe like 1 or 2 pieces. (I used a normal relaxer and left it on my hair for about 15 minutes. My scalp did not burn at all. My scalp feels absolutely fine.) My hair doesn't usually shed like this. When I brush my hair that's the only time it ever sheds. And that's only when it's dry. In the shower however, I don't usually see any shedding. If I do it's a few pieces but then it stops. But then again I'm not usually looking at the ground like I was. I was leaning over. Yet I never usually have hair left on my hands when applying conditioner. Not that much hair.
Did I damage my hair or is this normal. I usually relax my leave out every 6 weeks. Could this be because I waited too long to relax my hair? I read something on a different site that said if your hair is shedding after a relaxer it's because your hair follicle is damaged and your hair might not even grow anymore. Is this true? Please help.

You're using a chemical on your scalp so I wouldn't be surprised if shedding is a side effect. If you're seeing short pieces then it's probably breakage but if they're long pieces it's probably because the relaxer straightened out your new growth so the hair is straighter and shed hair can easily slip out with the help of the water. If you're still worried just make sure you're completely rinsing the relaxer out and neutralizing VERY well.

Also consider waiting to get your relaxer longer than 6 weeks. That's a lot of realizing for your hair. Usually 8-9 weeks is the minimum you want to wait before you go get a relaxer. Good luck!

I'm not sure because I usually get my relaxer done at a salon but when I did it at home I had minimal shedding... there were a few hairs in the hair catcher when I was done rinsing my relaxer and then a few more when I conditioned...

I always had the most shedding immediately after my relaxer touch up. Like massive amounts. It's a wonder I had any hair left. My stylist was also heavy handed and rough...

I think the shedding comes from agitating your scalp trying to smooth the new growth. Anytime you disturb your scalp/roots you are bound to get more shedding than usual.

I had increased shedding after a relaxer much like @Prettymetty. I'm talking a lot of shedding. Whether that's normal or not, it was normal for me. I would combat that with Alter Ego Garlic conditioner and that resolved the increased shedding I would get post relaxer. Perhaps you can try something like that. A cheaper route is tea rinsing or coffee rinsing.

Last edited:
I have way less shed after a relaxer. To combat times when I feel like I'm seeing more shed than I like at other times, I do any of the following with great results...

Tea or coffee rinsing. Be sure to deep condition afterwards because these can make hair feel hard.

Garlic tincture or powder mixed right into a deep conditioner, let sit for an hour before rinsing out.

Deep condition on dry hair before washing. Apply the conditioner in small sections as if applying like you would a relaxer. Bonus is to add oil. Essentially pre-pooing.

Use a garlic shampoo/conditioner from a good brand. Usually products that fight "hair fall" (shedding) are good.

Long term.....odorless garlic supplements.

Hope this helps.

Back