Is DCing w/ steam any different from DCing with a plastic cap?

Miss AJ

I DCed with a shower cap and satin bonnet while I was watching Undercover Brother (lol) and I could feel the heat when I would occasionally fiddle with the cap to make sure my nape was covered still and when I took the cap off to rinse, my hair had shrunken just like it does when I steam and the plastic cap was kinda foggy too. What do you all think? Are these in fact one in the same, or do you notice a difference in how your hair feels with each method?

I don't know. I always sit under the dryer with the plastic cap, but I'm interested in knowing if there is a difference too.

I didn't look this up or anything but if the plastic cap is trapping in the body heat, wouldn't that be the same as a steam treatment? Any steam gurus out there wanna give this a shot because I want a steamer but not if I can get the same benefit with my plastic cap and satin bonnet.

i want to kno the answer to this question too bcus i have been d'cing with one of those foil caps too and my hair b nice and warm under there and moisturized too alot. so im aching to kno if this is the same too or dif.:yep:

I think it probably could be benefical but of course you would have to do it over a much longer period, and you would need more than a plastic cap to make it effective imo. A plastic cap and hot towels will give you a similar effect to steaming. It won't be better than using a proper steamer of course, but definitely a suitable cheaper alternative.

I had a satin bonnet over my plastic cap...not sure if that makes a difference but I kept it on for close to 2 hours and man it was HOT under there lol.

I steam with the hot towel method and for me, yes indeedy there is a difference :yep:
IMHO the amount of heat and the amount of moisture getting into your hair do not necesscarily go togther. just because your head is really hot does not mean that you are steaming.The steaming benefit is the presence of more water vapour as which penetrates the hair strand better than liquid water and carries the conditioner with it :yep:

I steam with the hot towel method and for me, yes indeedy there is a difference :yep:
IMHO the amount of heat and the amount of moisture getting into your hair do not necesscarily go togther. just because your head is really hot does not mean that you are steaming.The steaming benefit is the presence of more water vapour as which penetrates the hair strand better than liquid water and carries the conditioner with it :yep:

Hmmm, makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

Back