Is Cowboy Magic Really that Good?

vtoodler

Does it really work better than most other detanglers? Or is that mainly hype?

If the former, how well would it work on matted hair?

I've never tried it personally but I've heard from many detangling nightmare stories around here that it's the truth

I bought it last summer b/c my hair was turning into dreads when I kept my wash-n-go for more than 1-2 days. This stuff works. My hair is very thick and it took out 3-4 dreads that I had in the back of my head in about 10 minutes.

I've never heard of cowboy magic. But I'm interested in hearing more about it. My hair tangles very badly and very easily.

I have read the ingredients. It seems to be a basic silicone serum with hydrolyzed silk added for shine and softness.

I haven't tried it but I wouldn't go out of my way when there are plenty of silicone serums to choose from at my local Walgreens.

I've heard all kinds of stories about cowboy magic and I really don't think it can compare to other drugstore products out there. Not for major detangling situations.

I've seen pics on fotki of mats and tangles and it works.

I wish I had some when I got my hair knotted up one time. I ended up cutting.

I've heard all kinds of stories about cowboy magic and I really don't think it can compare to other drugstore products out there. Not for major detangling situations.

I've seen pics on fotki of mats and tangles and it works.

I wish I had some when I got my hair knotted up one time. I ended up cutting.

hmmm...interesting.

It could be they use a higher concentration of cyclomethicone and dimethicone than most products.

I've used this and the Asorbine Santa Fe serum. The Asorbine Santa Fe serum is better to me. They both handle tangles pretty well, but Dove Nourishing Oil Care Anti-Frizz Serum is awesome too.

hmmm...interesting.

It could be they use a higher concentration of cyclomethicone and dimethicone than most products.

DoDo

Interesting. Why do you suppose that's so?

I also wonder if someone could kindly post the ingredient list for Cowboy Magic?

DoDo

Interesting. Why do you suppose that's so?

I also wonder if someone could kindly post the ingredient list for Cowboy Magic?

vtoodler

Contrary to popular belief silicones are expensive and before the curly/all natural movement they were a conditioner's bread and butter. From what I have researched online the main difference between high end salon conditioners and regular drugstore conditioners is a higher concentration of silicone. I find I have to agree in most cases. My more expensive conditioners make my hair slide apart immediately, it is really no contest with say Herbal Essences.

In that case, one could argue that not every serum is the same. Some may simply have a higher concentration of silicone aka the ingredient that is providing slip for your hair.

Here are the ingredients for Cowboy Magic and in bold parentheses I have written my understanding of the ingredients' functions:

Ingredients: Cyclomethicone (A silicone that evaporates from the hair), Dimethicone (A silicone that provides superior slip and lubricity, non water-soluble), Panthenol (enters he hair shaft and thickens hair), Hydrolyzed Silk (softens hair and may protect from chemical damage), Ethylhexy Methoxycinnamate (preservative), Tocopheryl Acetate(antioxidant and also found in high concentrations in human sebum) , Fragrance.

Last edited:
I went to a local farm store to buy some CM yesterday. I actually got a free sample because I was willing to fill out a survey about the product. They knew I wasn't buying it for no dern horse. :lol:

I will tell you all how it works on my nearly 6 week old twists.

I just used it to take down my really small 2 strand twists. Worked like butta...one of my better investments:drunk:

Does anyone have a picture of the particular product everyone is talking about. I went on their website but i'm seeing a variety of products and i need to get the right one.

If I knew of similar product of Cowboy Magic (Ireland) I would not have cut my hair and used a similar serum I have to remove my matted.

._____________.

-___________-

I never knew you could dry detangle with silicone heavy serums. :spinning:

Back