Is breakage from single plait braids inevitable?

bb09

This is the third time I've had single plait braids in (on my hair journey) and I've noticed that for some reason, I get breakage at the demarcation line. Taking my hair out of single plaits is what ended my transition in 2007. All of my hair, especially my crown was pretty much natural at that point.

I got single plait braids at the end of 2012 to give my then texlaxed hair a break. When I took my hair out, pretty much all of my hair was natural. I noticed that my hair was much longer only in the middle of my head, which made me realise that my hair broke at the demarcation line.

Lastly, when it came to doing single plaits on my newly natural hair, it's been even worse because I got the breakage before even starting, possibly because of my stretching method? I tried to stretch my hair in 12 box braids. I did that for a full 12 hours and went there with the braids. My roots were pretty much not stretched and my hair was not 100% dry. The woman who did my hair blowdried and blowdried it with a comb attachment and she repeated that every so often because the roots are a lot tighter/kinkier than the rest of my hair. Is there a better way to stretch natural hair, particularly the roots before getting it done? 12 box braids didn't work (well), neither did blowdrying. (Combing it dry root to tip just hurt like crazy and I could see that it helped break my hair).
& Is there a way to avoid breakage when you get single plaits on hair that is 3+ months post relaxer? (My hair is newly natural, but I still wonder why it broke at the demarcation line when done at 4 months post relaxer, and at 17 months post relaxer).

Last edited:
IDK but to let you know that natural hair may not take to heat as well as you believe. My hair would break if I used the blow dryer on it. I use single braids all the time now. I use products that keep my hair supple and moisturized. Yes too much tension when braiding and method of securing your braids can all lead to breakage.

Try the Africa threading method 2 days before u braid your hair, your hair will look and feel like its being relax, also ask the braider to braid the traditional Africa method, they cross the extension and start braiding in 3 for the very root of the hair this type is less tight, as oppose to wrapping the extension around your hair

Try the Africa threading method 2 days before u braid your hair, your hair will look and feel like its being relax, also ask the braider to braid the traditional Africa method, they cross the extension and start braiding in 3 for the very root of the hair this type is less tight, as oppose to wrapping the extension around your hair
Thanks @Vintagecoilylocks @Joss

How many 'braids' with the threading? The pity is no shop seems to stock thread. I haven't been able to find the type of thread needed in hair shops or in the 99p stores. Thank you for the tip though.

One more thing is, do you know if this works well overnight -12 hours? I couldn't go to work with thread in my hair or a scarf on for days.

Last edited:
With any stretching method you use, you have to wait until the hair is completely dry before you take it down. Banding is another method. You use ponytail holders down the length to stretch the hair.

African threading seems to work well. If you can't find the thread online, perhaps one of the ladies in the salon will sell you some.

IDK how to prevent breakage with transitioning hair. The relaxed hair is weak compared to the natural roots and any sort of tension can cause breakage. It's probably best to just prevent tension all together. I roller set throughout my entire transition.

As the lady said above, u couldn't take the thread out when the hair is still damp, maybe air dry first, before threading, wool the one they use for netting clothes work just as well, I know the longer the thread is left on better the result, 12 hrs u will have to try it and see how it comes out, Let us know how it goes. {}

This is the third time I've had single plait braids in (on my hair journey) and I've noticed that for some reason, I get breakage at the demarcation line. Taking my hair out of single plaits is what ended my transition in 2007. All of my hair, especially my crown was pretty much natural at that point.

I got single plait braids at the end of 2012 to give my then texlaxed hair a break. When I took my hair out, pretty much all of my hair was natural. I noticed that my hair was much longer only in the middle of my head, which made me realise that my hair broke at the demarcation line.

Lastly, when it came to doing single plaits on my newly natural hair, it's been even worse because I got the breakage before even starting, possibly because of my stretching method? I tried to stretch my hair in 12 box braids. I did that for a full 12 hours and went there with the braids. My roots were pretty much not stretched and my hair was not 100% dry. The woman who did my hair blowdried and blowdried it with a comb attachment and she repeated that every so often because the roots are a lot tighter/kinkier than the rest of my hair. Is there a better way to stretch natural hair, particularly the roots before getting it done? 12 box braids didn't work (well), neither did blowdrying. (Combing it dry root to tip just hurt like crazy and I could see that it helped break my hair).
& Is there a way to avoid breakage when you get single plaits on hair that is 3+ months post relaxer? (My hair is newly natural, but I still wonder why it broke at the demarcation line when done at 4 months post relaxer, and at 17 months post relaxer).

I can't answer your question, but I experienced breakage when I took down my plaits/braids this past weekend. I was sooo shocked because this is the first time this every has happened to me. In hindsight I have to admit that it could be several things that contributed to the breakage. First of all, this is the first time I ever put braids in my hair after a relaxer touchup. I do my hair myself, i.e., relaxers, braids, etc. and I waited 2-3 weeks after my relaxer and put braids in my hair. My hair is fine and is easily susceptible to breakage. The second thing was my moisturising spray may not have been so moisturising. I think that the proportions of my homemade moisturising spray may have had more water than moisture. Anyhow, I was spraying my plaits every PM and I mean saturating my hair and when I took down on thursday, (I didn't spray them on wednesday) my hair was dry as a bone. I also used indian powders to wash my scalp/hair and indian powders are known to be drying. I was also oiling my scalp every day with a sulfur mix and sulfur is also known to be drying and it could have just been the styling. I was doing high buns while wearing my plaits. I don't know for sure what contributed to the breakage, but I had breakage. I'm not alarmed because it seemed like it affected more the front than the back. My back still has the length, but now I'm trying to control my breakage which is why I'm proceeding with caution. I won't put plaits in my hair again until end of July. I will use this time to build up my hair with protein and regular washing/cowashing. I also changed my moisturising spray that appears to be more moisturising. It's a shame the trial and errors we go through. I've been on this hair journey for several years and this has never happened to me. Who would have thought this could happen.

I accidently snag the roots and that causes breakage. :( I need to be more gentle but it keeps happened.

I accidently snag the roots and that causes breakage. :( I need to be more gentle but it keeps happening

I'm have no advice with regards to how to prevent breakage at the line of demarcation. Unfortunately, the straight ends may break off because it is weaker than the roots.

I just got my hair braided on Sunday and what I do to stretch my hair is braid it just like you. I do about 12-15 plaits and let them air dry. Through out the day I spray the roots with s curl and detangle with my fingers and plait each one back up again.

I'll do that a couple more times during the day and my hair becomes even more stretched out.I don't blow dry because my hair doesn't like heat much.

Also, your braider should not be combing your hair from root to tip. if they hit a snag spray something on your hair that has slip in order to remove the knot. I use the s curl because it has great slip and softens the hair, especially where the tangles occur.

Don't let them rake through your hair like that.

I wore plaits with extensions for two years and there's a few things that i think can cause breakage

going for a full, poetic justice/solange look. Too much weight on the strands. not too thick, not too long

not too thin either.

not washing often enough. there should be No build up on the scalp at all when you take down. it is possible.

redo the most vulnerable parts of your hair ie the nape and edges every two weeks. these bits get crazy build up so just undo, pick/ comb it out and redo

don't be stingy with the moisturiser/conditioner. slather it on. saturate the hair. use lotions and hair milks. so it gets all the way through, make sure you get the ends especially. deep condition often and rinse it for an extra 5 minutes just to make sure there's no residue (if you don't want to leave conditioner in your hair)

be stingy with the shampoo. dilute it and apply especially to the scalp until it lathers

if you need to apply oils/greases to your scalp opt for lighter oils to avoid build up

when i did this i got some lovely growth and retention provided i was gentle during the take down process. I don't have any suggestions re stretching though because i didn't really stretch my hair. hth

I've never had breakage when wearing my hair braided or twisted with extensions. I dilute shampoo and cleanse my scalp weekly and spray on diluted conditioner all over to where my hair ends stop in the extensions, rinse it out and then spray a strengthening leave-in on all over as well. I air dry the braids or twists, and I have gotten very good growth and retention from them. I've always had to braid them down rather long, to BSL and mid-back due to the length of my hair in the past.

I would still wear them, but my hair is much longer now, and I don't want a mega long install or takedown.

Last edited:
I have not experienced breakage in plaits either but I'd like to believe I learned some things from other's mistakes to help:
1) Understanding that braiding, particularly with extensions, is impacting an unusual degree of stress on the hair; and preparing the hair for it accordingly: a coconut prepoo, gentle cleansing, protein treatment, deep condition. I really baby my hair before any long-term style.
2) My favorite stretching method is cornrows. I do four or five simple ones and it gets my hair nicely detangled and stretched at the roots. I also like banding. African threading worked for me when my hair was shorter but is too time consuming now, maybe because I'm not that good at it.
3) Since you're planning to apply long-term tension to the strands (plaits), I would try to minimize any additional stress, like heat. But if your heat-free methods don't get you blown out results, I'd strongly recommend waiting until your stretched style is completely dry then using a light heat protectant before using a blow dryer to do your own blow out. If you aren't good with the blow dryer, at least use a bit of heat protectant before letting someone else use a blow dryer on you. I always detangle my own hair. No shop has ever handled my hair as gently as I would.
4) Caring for hair as normal while in plaits or extensions. I think it's easy to kind of forget about your hair when it's in braids, but it's very important to do everything you normally would. In my case, that's weekly washes, deep conditioning and daily moisturizing with a light leave-in.
It's unfortunate that you experienced breakage at your demarcation, but hopefully you haven't given up on plaits or extensions as a protective style. I found it helpful to make note of exactly what I do that doesn't work so I can avoid it in the future.
HHHJ! :)

via LHCF App

Last edited:
OT: llan, on what date in 2013 did your hair budget start? Doesn't look like it started on January 1st.

MileHighDiva

lol nope it started at the end of february/beginning of march. I have so many half full bottles of product that are waiting to be finished. now that i make my own moisturiser and seal with whatever's in the kitchen It should be okay. the only thing i spend a bit on are protein treatments. homemade just doesnt cut it.
I think i may be about 15 pounds over :ohwell:.

@this includes braiding hair, tools and accessories as well. I'm 100% do it yourself, i finger detangle exclusively and stopped wearing added hair altogether. Those things have been a revelation to my hair.

Last edited:
I find braiding with extensions is something I have done when I want to start from scratch and grow a whole new head of hair since the contrast between my relaxed hair and new growth is extremely stark. I know some people get extensions to extend their relaxer stretches but for me that would man saying goodbye to my relax ends because of the detaingling thats involved after takjing the braids out (also doesnt help that a lot of braiders will use a fine toothe combing to rip through your hair). Having said that, now that I have found a protein conditioner that agrees with my hair, it may not be so bad.

I think if there isn't as much of a contrast between your relaxed hair and natural hair (i.e. for texlaxers or people with looser curls then the braiding with extensions will not necessarily lead to the relax hairs breaking off, of course a good regimen while braided will help)

Back