Is a wash and go just a no no?

GabbanaGirl

I keep seeing these threads about single strand knots, and tangled matted fiasco's and it is scaring the heck out of me. :perplexed I really, really wanted to try a wash and go....but not at the sacrifice of my hair.

So my question is (1), do you ladies think the air drying is what's causing the SSK's? If I used a diffuser, oil rinsed, and detangled properly beforehand, do you think I would be able to escape the dreaded wash and go single strand knot curse ???

And finally; (2) Do you think wash and go's are a no-no (as far as length retention) for someone who has more of a kinky texture like myself? I wonder how ladies like Tracee Ellis Ross, and Tanika Ray (two chicas who wear their hair curly a lot) are able to retain length.

It depends upon you and your hair. Some women can do this others cannot.

You won't really know until you try it the styles if you will get the ssk or have retention issues.

I also think it depends on your hair. My hair is really fine and wash and go's every day wrecked havoc; single strand knots, build up and A LOT of split ends. However, a lot of members have great results with them. They are fine for me on occassion. I think you should try and see.

I think the SSKs that come from wash n gos are more from the hair curling in on itself, not from how it was dried (i.e. airdried, diffused, etc.). The looser the natural texture, the less chance of SSKs--so ppl like Tracie Ellis and Tanika Ray may not have an issue with it.

I think the SSKs that come from wash n gos are more from the hair curling in on itself, not from how it was dried (i.e. airdried, diffused, etc.). The looser the natural texture, the less chance of SSKs--so ppl like Tracie Ellis and Tanika Ray may not have an issue with it.

Ahhh definitely makes sense. I may want to stay away from those....soooo not trying to have setback city in 2010.

im a 3c natural but my hair has a ton of frizz and i w&g all the time. i thought i would stop in the winter but nope lol. im wearing a w&g puff right now. its my go to style. and my hair only tangles at night if i dont braid my hair before bed.

I tried to wash and go for 3 days....I didnt have any knotting issues because I was careful about how I rinsed and manipulated the hair.

but what got me is by day 3 my hair was a ugly crunchy shrunken mess....not cute at all!!!

and the whole time I used a banana clip.

I am gonna try again this summer since I recently discovered oil rinsing and I have a bit more length.

I like your idea of diffusing because that could stop the shrinkage...

I want a cute kinky wash and go like the hair rules chick....she makes it look so easy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmFyhnPBeP4

results are at the 4:00 min mark.

I tried to wash and go for 3 days....I didnt have any knotting issues because I was careful about how I rinsed and manipulated the hair.

but what got me is by day 3 my hair was a ugly crunchy shrunken mess....not cute at all!!!

and the whole time I used a banana clip.

I am gonna try again this summer since I recently discovered oil rinsing and I have a bit more length.

I like your idea of diffusing because that could stop the shrinkage...

I want a cute kinky wash and go like the hair rules chick....she makes it look so easy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmFyhnPBeP4

results are at the 4:00 min mark.

LOVED her hair!!! I KNOW it wouldn't be that easy for me...:lachen:but I may try it once nonetheless. Lawd knows I didn't need to see another video, with another product....lol Going on the Hair Rules site right now...

Against my better judgement, I WNGd for most of the summer...SSKs all over the place. I love a WNG, but I think I have learned my lesson.

wash and go is a no no. I have 4a/4b hair.... I get ssk

This isn't looking too promising round these parts....lol I have to try another style though, and soon, I am growing increasingly tired of the crinkly look from the braid outs and twist outs and want something a bit more natural looking. Flexi rods were ok, but I had that Shirley Temple look, and that won't cut it...maybe I will tweak the flexi set a little bit....or maybe a spiral set..

I think it depends on your hair. I had wear my hair in wash n go styles for 2 years up until recently. I think this has really held me back retention wise. I get my hair flat ironed professionally about 3-5 times a year, and every time my ends are pretty bad even though I don't use any type of heat on my hair in between. This usually turns into a cut more then a trim because I hate raggedy end.

I think certain hair types/hair textures are more prone to SSK's no matter what the style. I wear wash 'n go's every now and then, the max days I would wear a wash~n-go is 3 days, then I'm back to a stretched style (bun, braidout etc..) Like others have said, try it and see if it works for you. But if length retention is your goal, you could wear them occasionally instead of consistently.

I keep seeing these threads about single strand knots, and tangled matted fiasco's and it is scaring the heck out of me. :perplexed I really, really wanted to try a wash and go....but not at the sacrifice of my hair.

So my question is (1), do you ladies think the air drying is what's causing the SSK's? If I used a diffuser, oil rinsed, and detangled properly beforehand, do you think I would be able to escape the dreaded wash and go single strand knot curse ???

And finally; (2) Do you think wash and go's are a no-no (as far as length retention) for someone who has more of a kinky texture like myself? I wonder how ladies like Tracee Ellis Ross, and Tanika Ray (two chicas who wear their hair curly a lot) are able to retain length.

I have a hairtype somewhere in between Tracee Ellis Ross and Tanika Ray and I still get SSKs. I've gotta keep my ends stretched while my hair dries or else it does indeed tangle quite a bit.

in the summer months, i live on WNGs. they're just so easy and carefree. after the first 2 days, i rock a puff for a day or 2, cowash, and do it again. i did lose some length, but i think that happened when i cowashed everyday (too much manipulation) or didn't detangle well. as long as you seal your ends with a heavy oil (something i also didn't do that i will in the future) and don't make it an everyday thing -- take breaks with stretched styles, like braidouts/twistouts/buns -- i think you will be fine.

LOVED her hair!!! I KNOW it wouldn't be that easy for me...:lachen:but I may try it once nonetheless. Lawd knows I didn't need to see another video, with another product....lol Going on the Hair Rules site right now...

It has taken everything in my power to not buy this stuff! fortunately there were some reviews that this product isnt a miracle worker like in the video...so that has bought me some time.

but I would be lying if I said that I will never own some of this stuff.... oooohhhh just let me gain a few more inches and have some extra cash....ima get me some lmao! :lachen:

I want her hair! lol

I think certain hair types/hair textures are more prone to SSK's no matter what the style. I wear wash 'n go's every now and then, the max days I would wear a wash~n-go is 3 days, then I'm back to a stretched style (bun, braidout etc..) Like others have said, try it and see if it works for you. But if length retention is your goal, you could wear them occasionally instead of consistently.

Thank you!! And completely off topic, but I NEED to see more pics of your hair...sometime in the near future :look:. lol Your hair is amazing!

Well from what I've seen of your wet hair you definitely have a looser curl so I think when you find the right combination of products and technique you shouldn't be plagued with as many ssk's as someone with tightly coily type 4 hair. Take a look at tightlycurly.com and her techniques for airdrying...I think that would be really helpful to someone with your hair type:yep:

It has taken everything in my power to not buy this stuff! fortunately there were some reviews that this product isnt a miracle worker like in the video...so that has bought me some time.

but I would be lying if I said that I will never own some of this stuff.... oooohhhh just let me gain a few more inches and have some extra cash....ima get me some lmao! :lachen:

I want her hair! lol

lol @ bought you some time. I may hold off too then, I just checked reviews, however it might be another story once that tax return comes...lol you know how that goes...:Blush2:

Well from what I've seen of your wet hair you definitely have a looser curl so I think when you find the right combination of products and technique you shouldn't be plagued with as many ssk's as someone with tightly coily type 4 hair. Take a look at tightlycurly.com and her techniques for airdrying...I think that would be really helpful to someone with your hair type:yep:

a glimmer of hope! :grin: Thank you chica, I am going to check out the website now!

I did wng's for a year and didn't really have many issues, and my hair is usually very tangle-prone. I think cones make a big difference in keeping my hair from knotting. I cut my hair off some time ago and as it grew out, I noticed my wng's were knotting more since I had stopped using cones. Now I do twist outs or I use Aussie Moist the way Teri does (from biracialhair.org).

I love wash and go's I have 4a hair. I think it depends on what you use on your hair. I use garnier sleek n shine leave in mix with paul mitchell the conditioner together. I say my wash n go's last about 3 days. I only wash n go in the summer.

depends on your hair. i do wash an gos year round and i redo them everyday (daily co-wash so i dont know if that makes a difference, since im not wearing the same wash an go for more than one day) but ive only even seen one and i just stared at it like ,.. heh.. lol i never knew got them.

depends on your hair. i do wash an gos year round and i redo them everyday (daily co-wash so i dont know if that makes a difference, since im not wearing the same wash an go for more than one day) but ive only even seen one and i just stared at it like ,.. heh.. lol i never knew got them.

Your hair is gorgeous! I am pulling up your fotki now...tons of pics..I like, I like. LOL :grin:

I saw my first ssk recently and finally understood what all these posts were about. I had never noticed them until the one I saw about 2 weeks ago.

I am not a big WNG wearer (usually braid/twist outs) so that could be the reason.

I did 3 weeks of straight wash n go's back in May of 09 and I had many nights where I didn't detangle or put it up in a protective style before going to bed. Yeah I know I know, callate LOL I straightened my hair and WOW I had knots gallore! I was so upset. I'm more careful now and If I wash and go its never for more than 3 days in a row. I tend to wash and put it up in a ponytail instead, which seems to be easier on my hair.

My daughter is 11, has tailbone length hair and I flatiron her hair like every 2 years. She's always in a wash and go or a curly ponytail. In all the years of doing her hair I have NEVER seen a knot in her hair. I don't know if its because of her hair type (silky 3B) but if I were to do that I'd be bald.

You know, I thought I would miss wash n go's once I stopped doing them, but I love my twists and twist outs and buns so much that it's not that big of a deal.

It's also not only knots that keep me from doing wash n go's. It's also moisture. My hair just seems to retain moisture better when in a protective style.

Back