Is a "halo" bad?

middlegirl

I heard that some people relax only their edges and very back of their hair... called a "halo" I guess. I plan on stretching my relaxer for the next 3 months and I was thinking of doing this to keep my hair looking ok. What do you think? Is this ok?

Last edited:
I have heard of it...to me it doesn't sound like a good idea:perplexed

The hair in the "halo" for me is the finest and exposure to chemicals often wouldn't be beneficial...if you have thick healthy resistant hair I guess it wouldn't be so bad:ohwell:

I hope this helps this is just my non scientific oppinion

My mom's cousin does this when she's wearing her micro-braids. I wouldn't really suggest it, but I can sorta see how why people do it since your edges and nape (if wearing your hair up) are more visible to other people. If you do this, you have to make sure that you space your relaxers out right. Ok, how about this.

2 months from now is December; you relax your edges in December. 2 months from December is February; therefore you can relax your entire head in February (including edges). 2 months from February is April; you can relax edges (only) in April. 2 months from April is June, and you can relax your entire head (including edges) in June. With this "system," you'd be relaxing your edges/nape every 2 months, but the rest of your head is only relaxed every 4 months....I hope this makes sense.

Like I said, this could possibly work if you space out your relaxers and have a set time for them.

TSUprincess04 said:
My mom's cousin does this when she's wearing her micro-braids. I wouldn't really suggest it, but I can sorta see how why people do it since your edges and nape (if wearing your hair up) are more visible to other people. If you do this, you have to make sure that you space your relaxers out right. Ok, how about this.

2 months from now is December; you relax your edges in December. 2 months from December is February; therefore you can relax your entire head in February (including edges). 2 months from February is April; you can relax edges (only) in April. 2 months from April is June, and you can relax your entire head (including edges) in June. With this "system," you'd be relaxing your edges/nape every 2 months, but the rest of your head is only relaxed every 4 months....I hope this makes sense.

Like I said, this could possibly work if you space out your relaxers and have a set time for them.

I agree. I thought about this too as well but it's probably best to wait unless you get too much breakage for waiting. And you will probably need to baby that part of the hair especially more so than ever.

I do it. I don't think its good that I do it though. But if I didn't, I don't think I could stretch the rest of my head either.

I have to halo when I'm wearing my straight full head weaves. Other wise my edges look like taco meat and the weave looks silky - not good. I condition the halo area more than the rest of my head, and moisturize it a lot more too. I realize it's not the healthiest practice, but what's a girl to do.

I do the reverse of this.

I relax the middle of my hair and dont relax the edges very often.

Then the next time I relax the entire head.

Just as TSU explained.

TSUprincess04 said:

I used to do this when I wore my hair in braids. I would relax my edges about every 7 weeks (I would do my braids over about every 7 wks) and my whole head about every 14 weeks. I would only leave the relaxer on for 5 mins and my edges got bone-straight.

ist2_237378_sign_bump_2.jpg

I like this idea! Anyone do this with success?

I do it also. I relaxed full head in October and in December I will do my halo only and February my full head again. I will try to take pictures when I do it. Done this for years. Allow me to stretch longer

I find that I stress my edges more when I dont do the halo beacuse I dont have to try everything to lay them done (brushing, slicking, etc)

I don't think it is. As long as you can properly maintain the halo in conjunction with the surronding natural hairs and not get the two tangled.
There is a wealth of info here and there are a variety of hair types and textures, and choices (natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitoners).

It just comes downs to what are you going to do with the halo(when ur tired of the variation in hair), cut it down and let it grow out......or relax all of your head to have same texture or cut it all down to have same texture.

I used to do this when I wore weaves back in the day because the edges were the only part of my real hair that was exposed.

It worked out ok for me but I probably wouldn't do it again.

Back