is 3 days too soon to get a relaxer

nychaelasymone

post taking braids out? I've been taking them out for 2 weeks but probably won't finish until Friday (pencil sized braids-all the edges are out, but wearing a ponytail to camaflauge). My own hair appears healthy (I've been washing and conditioning my hair while braided, which was only 4 weeks) but I was going to wait until the following Monday to visit the salon....should I be okay?

:shocked: yes yes it's much too soon, CW daily, shampoo less and some deep conditioning treatments slather on alot of con wrap a wet/damp warmed towel over your hair for 30 mins make the towel as warm as you can stand it, but dont burn yourself. the crown glory lady says to deep condition/conditon for 1-2 months before putting in a relaxer and her hair is WSL relaxed. There's a post on cholesterol w/ shea butter-very good. and just reg. cholesterol is good too. for a hairstyle just CW or mist and bun it. HTH
site
www.growafrohairlong.com
I think.

Last edited:
nychaelasymone said:
post taking braids out? I've been taking them out for 2 weeks but probably won't finish until Friday (pencil sized braids-all the edges are out, but wearing a ponytail to camaflauge). My own hair appears healthy (I've been washing and conditioning my hair while braided, which was only 4 weeks) but I was going to wait until the following Monday to visit the salon....should I be okay?

You may want to wait a week even if you're not having any hair problems. I haven't had braids in quite a few years but, per my experience, my head was on fire.

HTH

-A

I agree. You should wait a few weeks. Do some deep conditioning and let your scalp recover. :yep:

I've done it the same day with no ill effects, but this was in my pre-LHCF days. I wouldn't recommend it now.

I would wait atleast 2wks b4 apply the relaxer, and during that time I would use a very moisturizing poo and DC, along w/ a treatment to strengthen the hair b4 breaking it down. HTH's

Truefully,

I took my braids out on a Friday and got a relaxer on a Saturday without any problems. I know my hair so I knew that it would be okay. If you know how your hair reacts you have to make that judgement. I know that most people say to wait and dc for two weeks but I would look a hot mess if I did.

I am another one of those women who got a relaxer a few days after removing my braids w/o any ill effects. I just couldn't deal with the growth.

It's good to make sure that if you've washed it, you wait at least three-four days. And many people need some time to allow the hair to rest and get treated before a relaxer.

unfortunately, I have somewhat short hair and there really aren't any protective styles I can wear at the present time. I don't want to relax to soon but I can't go to work looking like this either.....help, I really need help.

maybe u can try getting a blow out or press just the roots until its time to get a relaxer. it sounds like a lot of heat but i cant think of anything else since u said u cant do protective styles. or maybe a braidout or twistout.

Back