Ion clarifying shampoo as a...

kittykhat

Chelator? My friend just got her hair relaxed last saturday and she wants to know if this would work as a chelator. She uses ORS no lye. The Ion clarifying shampoo has disodium EDTA. It also says that it removes water deposits and build up. We got it at sallys. Would this work guys? If so,she also wants to know when after a fresh relaxer can she use this because her hair is feeling dry at the back but she doesn't want her hair to revert. Last question she wants to ask, lol, is it okay for her to keep using no lye if she chelates her hair. ORS lye gets her hair so straight the way she likes it. Thanks so much guys for helping me with my million and one questions. :D

I'm no expert on chelating, but I use the Ion clarifying shampoo to clarify. Your friend sounds a bit confused as to what clarifying and chelating does to your hair. Here is a link to an article which explains the difference:
http://www.naturalreign.info/2009/01/clarifying-your-hair.html

The Ion shampoo will not chelate her hair b/c it is a clarifier. Chelating and clarifying will NOT cause her hair to revert. Relaxing hair is a chemical process that permanently changes the hair!! The only way to get rid of relaxer is to cut the hair. Her hair will be dry after chelating and/or clarifying, but the relaxer is still there!

Also, her best bet would have been to clarify before getting a relaxer, but clarifying will not affect her relaxer after the fact. I don't know of any reason why she can't clarify now...ladies chime in if you know of a reason not to.

I can't answer the lye vs no lye question....but once your friend chelates, she shouldn't need to continue chelating her hair! Read the article and research chelating...most of the time clarifying is enough and chelating should be done rarely.

What's your confusion? Well, what are you trying to do with your hair. A clarifier does remove water build up(minerals, nickel, and other deposits from water) fro
the "surface" of your hair. Chelating does the same but removes it from the cortex, not the surface. Chelating also removes medicine build up from the hair too.

there are a couple of threads on this. And I think they were debating whether it could chelate. Are u talking about the ION Hardwater Shampoo? or something else

It could possibly work as a chelator, but Ive read where its best to use products from the same line, does she use the ORS shampoo? Maybe it would be a good idea to rinse with the ors neutralizing shampoo and then possibly follow up with the Ion shampoo later, but it does say "water" deposits, not relaxer deposits, so thats probably not quite what you would need.:nono:

Oh I see what you are saying, chelating is for removing deposits, such as the calcium in no-lye relaxers, so yeah she can continue to use a chelator with the no-lye:yep:, but if she uses the lye then she may not need to chelate. :scratchch

Edit: Okay I just looked at the link, here is what it says, maybe it could work after all,

Adds body to fine, limp hair
Safe for color-treated hair
Helps prevent dullness and discoloration

Have clean, fresh hair you can feel. ion Purifying Solutions Clarifying Shampoo is for all hair types to gently cleanse hair of chlorine and mineral residue. Eliminates build-up from styling aids and weighty conditioners. Ideal for use prior to any chemical services. Can be used weekly to remove product buildup from styling products. Helps to also revive your color and hairs natural shine. Restores natural texture and vibrancy to hair.

WATER ,SODIUM C14-16 OLEFIN SULFONATE ,COCOAMIDOPROPYL DIMEHTYL AMINO ACETATE ,LAURAMIDE DEA ,TEA-LAURYL SULFATE ,SODIUM CHLORIDE ,SODIUM LAURYL ETHER SULFATE ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,FRAGRANCE ,CITRIC ACID ,DISODIUM EDTA ,RED 40 ,PANTHENOL ,WATER ,ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEAMRY) LEAF E ,CITRUS GRANDIS (GRAPEFRIUT) FRUIT EXT

Last edited:
It could possibly work as a chelator, but Ive read where its best to use products from the same line, does she use the ORS shampoo? Maybe it would be a good idea to rinse with the ors neutralizing shampoo and then possibly follow up with the Ion shampoo later, but it does say "water" deposits, not relaxer deposits, so thats probably not quite what you would need.:nono:

Oh I see what you are saying, chelating is for removing deposits, such as the calcium in no-lye relaxers, so yeah she can continue to use a chelator with the no-lye:yep:, but if she uses the lye then she may not need to chelate. :scratchch

Edit: Okay I just looked at the link, here is what it says, maybe it could work after all,

Adds body to fine, limp hair
Safe for color-treated hair
Helps prevent dullness and discoloration

Have clean, fresh hair you can feel. ion Purifying Solutions Clarifying Shampoo is for all hair types to gently cleanse hair of chlorine and mineral residue. Eliminates build-up from styling aids and weighty conditioners. Ideal for use prior to any chemical services. Can be used weekly to remove product buildup from styling products. Helps to also revive your color and hairs natural shine. Restores natural texture and vibrancy to hair.

WATER ,SODIUM C14-16 OLEFIN SULFONATE ,COCOAMIDOPROPYL DIMEHTYL AMINO ACETATE ,LAURAMIDE DEA ,TEA-LAURYL SULFATE ,SODIUM CHLORIDE ,SODIUM LAURYL ETHER SULFATE ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,FRAGRANCE ,CITRIC ACID ,DISODIUM EDTA ,RED 40 ,PANTHENOL ,WATER ,ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEAMRY) LEAF E ,CITRUS GRANDIS (GRAPEFRIUT) FRUIT EXT

Than you so much. You helped me out a lot. So should she just use the creamy aloe shampoo? And she uses the ORS no lye because it gets her hair real straight. If there are any lye relaxers that could do that, please let me know. Thanks.

Back