Instances where God played matchmaker in the Bible?

Glib Gurl

I'm trying to think of instances in the Bible where the Lord literally told Party A to marry Party B.

The only ones I can think of right now are Joseph and Mary (well, they were already engaged but then Angel Gabriel came to Joseph and told him to go ahead and marry Mary because her child was conceived through the Holy Spirit) and Hosea, whom God commanded to marry a prostitute to demonstrate His love for Israel. (I may be getting that second story wrong.)

Any other examples people can think of?

Adam and Eve ... kinda. :grinwink:

Genesis 2:18 (New International Version)

18 The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

Isaac and his wife.

Abraham was guided by the Lord and sent his servant to find the wife. Here's what he says:

Genesis 24: 7-9
"The LORD, the God of heaven, who brought me out of my father's household and my native land and who spoke to me and promised me on oath, saying, 'To your offspring I will give this land'-he will send his angel before you so that you can get a wife for my son from there. 8 If the woman is unwilling to come back with you, then you will be released from this oath of mine. Only do not take my son back there." 9 So the servant put his hand under the thigh of his master Abraham and swore an oath to him concerning this matter.

I haven't read the chapter fully, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

im going to be 36 in june and i have not had anyone in 12 loooooooooooooooong years so to be honest my time is up

No offense, but my sister you are still breathing. Your time is NOT up. :nono:
(pls don't read this as a cliche) As much as it drives us crazy at times, God's timing is not our timing.

Sending you a pm.

Isaac and his wife.

Abraham was guided by the Lord and sent his servant to find the wife. Here's what he says:

Genesis 24: 7-9
"The LORD, the God of heaven, who brought me out of my father's household and my native land and who spoke to me and promised me on oath, saying, 'To your offspring I will give this land'-he will send his angel before you so that you can get a wife for my son from there. 8 If the woman is unwilling to come back with you, then you will be released from this oath of mine. Only do not take my son back there." 9 So the servant put his hand under the thigh of his master Abraham and swore an oath to him concerning this matter.

I haven't read the chapter fully, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes Issac and Rebekah

Based on the bible, God can be a matchmaker or individuals can choose themselves.

1 Corinthians 7:39 says the unmarried woman can marry whomever she desires, only in the Lord.
There is also biblical support for God being a matchmaker Hosea, Isaac, Adam, etc. I think God can work either way.

Last edited:
A resounding Amen @ the bolded....

God always has a plan... for each ONE of us.

Based on the bible, God can be a matchmaker or individuals can choose themselves.

1 Corinthians 7:39 says the unmarried woman can marry whomever she desires, only in the Lord.
There is also biblical support for God being a matchmaker Hosea, Isaac, Adam, etc. I think God can work either way.

I love the story of Abigail and David.

Abigail was married to Nabal the bible says he was mean and surly. I heard Whoopi Goldberg call someone mean and surly in a movie and wondered why and where she would get such a statement then I found this story in 1 Sam 25.

Back