Inspired to stop relaxing and start texlaxing!!

RavingBeauty

Wow! I stumbled onto this site somehow and I am so thankful that I did! I have never come across such a wonderful, positive forum for "us". I love all of the tips and support that you ladies are giving each other. I started reading at around 7pm and almost 6 hours later, I am inspired and exhausted!

I have wanted a more natural style for a while and have even been trying on curly wigs to see if I really want to make the change. After reading what people had to say, I realized that what I want to do is start texlaxing my hair. I used to do this years ago (didn't know it had a name back then) and my hair looked gorgeous but I had no idea how to take care of it properly. I used a lot of mousse to hold the style and it was super dry and unhealthy. I want to be able to do this again without chopping off my hair and I want it to be soft and shiny without having to use a ton of product.

If anyone has any good advice for how to start doing this, I would really appreciate it. I got a relaxer about 4 weeks ago and my hair is really healthy. I just have always started a new natural style from the scalp and never from relaxed hair so I'm kind of at a loss.

Any product & styling suggestions to keep my new growth from looking too crazy while I do this? Thanks!

Welcome!!!

Texlaxing may be an option, it'll be a transition similar to the women transitioning to natural hair...so you may want to check those threads for info and styles.
are you relaxed bone straight right now?

I'd suggest lots of deep conditioning treatments, and as far as styles, for my transition buns and braidouts were really key players in helping me handle both textures on my head.

Question...why not transition to natural versus transitioning to a texlax? Is there a reason?

I dont know anything about BKT but that may be an option for you as well...check out those threads for info on that.

Yes, my relaxed hair is bone straight. Since I am so new, my pic didn't show up, I guess. When it does, you can see what it looks like after a wet wrap, dryer set. When I flat iron it, it becomes super straight and lank, just lays there. I wanted the texlax because my natural hair is ridiculously thick and I get frustrated with it easily. I think I will try a salon because I only want a very light process, just enough to enhance the curl and keep me from breaking combs :grin: and I don't think that I can achieve that on my own without someone showing me how to do it.

I checked on BKT earlier to see if it was an option. Unfortunately, it is derived from sheep keratin and I am vegan. I have been using Avlon products because they claim not to test on animals but to be honest, I never looked to see if they have animal ingredients.

Thanks!

I am a texlaxer and the main thing is to find the proper protien moisture balance.

For a wash and go curly stlyes lots of moisture is needed ( look on the first 2 or so pages under visitor messages in my public profile to see what I used).

For roller sets I use less moisture but still make sure my tresses are hydrated but not weighed down.

HTH & HHJ

I'd say start off by stretching your relaxers for as long as you can.

You could get some tips on stretching from the stretching challange thats going on here
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=356989&highlight=inspired+sylver

As you grow out your hair clip the bone straight ends off a little at a time.

Rollersetting braidouts twistouts bantu knot outs or protective styling are great ways to get you through the transition.

When it comes to finally texlaxing the new growth you can do it on your own its really not as hard as it seems. What I do is mix my relaxer with either conditioner or oil to slow the relaxing process. I also coat my previously relaxed hair with conditioner and vasaline so it doesnt get over processed.

Whimsy, I checked out your blog and I was so impressed. With all of the other info I have gathered, I am definitely willing to try natural first. I just never thought it was possible to get such gorgeous hair without help.

Bronx, thanks for the tip about mixing products. If I decide that I don't like my hair natural, I will try that out.

Thanks, Ladies!

Back