Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

I did a corrective with Africa's Best relaxer. I will never use a different relaxer again! The relaxer was so gentle, I did not over process and I was still able to leave some texture in my hair. I can now use very low heat to smooth my hair out. Roller sets will be my main style as I stretch my relaxers. I am very happy with my progress, now. This relaxer had no color change on my hair. Usually, relaxers turn my hair a funny color brown. This didn't. No chemical smell, no bad effects. I just can't contain my joy.:yep:

DDTexlaxed

Ahem. :look: Don't act like you didn't know that SOMEbody was gonna ask for pics. You know we're greedy around here. So uh, go anything to share? :lick:

My hubby is recovering from surgery so I haven't had time to post relaxer pics.:nono: Just bear with me a few more days and I will post pics as soon as he is able to help me.:yep:

My hubby is recovering from surgery so I haven't had time to post relaxer pics.:nono: Just bear with me a few more days and I will post pics as soon as he is able to help me.:yep:

DDTexlaxed

I hope all is going well with your hubby's recovery, Sis. By all means, see about your sweetie and don't worry about my request. Post if and whenever you feel like it. No sweat.

Dropping by to report that I'm 49 wks post. I'm in the middle of twisting my hair. I actually started and finished the back a couple days ago. I still need to get around to finishing up soon. *stalling* :rolleyes:

How are you ladies doing?

NJoy said:
DDTexlaxed

I hope all is going well with your hubby's recovery, Sis. By all means, see about your sweetie and don't worry about my request. Post if and whenever you feel like it. No sweat.

Dropping by to report that I'm 49 wks post. I'm in the middle of twisting my hair. I actually started and finished the back a couple days ago. I still need to get around to finishing up soon. *stalling* :rolleyes:

Hi lady, I did a big mini chop

Hi lady, I did a big mini chop

ojemba

A big mini chop? Girl, am I going to have to stalk your posts to find out exactly what that means or uh, would you care to elaborate? How much did you cut? How much further do you have to go? Details, mama. (...and you know me. Pics appreciated. :lick:)

NJoy said:
ojemba

A big mini chop? Girl, am I going to have to stalk your posts to find out exactly what that means or uh, would you care to elaborate? How much did you cut? How much further do you have to go? Details, mama. (...and you know me. Pics appreciated. :lick:)

NJoy I was using my phone and everything I wrote after that comment didn't post loll.

I took out my weave after 10 weeks and wore a braid out for a day, that evening I washed and I had such a struggle detangling I chopped off about 6 inches!! I went from grazing MBL to shoulder length.

I'll be wearing weaves, wigs and braids for a while so I figure it's just extra work on wash days so I got rid of it. We all know hair will always grow now I'm focused on growing and keeping it healthy and natural

Braid out after weave removal

image-520662420.jpg

Braid out after mini trim

image-4018366667.jpg

Sorry for the side photos that's how they come out when I use my phone.

@NJoy I was using my phone and everything I wrote after that comment didn't post loll.

I took out my weave after 10 weeks and wore a braid out for a day, that evening I washed and I had such a struggle detangling I chopped off about 6 inches!! I went from grazing MBL to shoulder length.

I'll be wearing weaves, wigs and braids for a while so I figure it's just extra work on wash days so I got rid of it. We all know hair will always grow now I'm focused on growing and keeping it healthy and natural

Braid out after weave removal

View attachment 142939

Braid out after mini trim

View attachment 142941

Sorry for the side photos that's how they come out when I use my phone.

ojemba

Yes, it does look good! So, you said "mini" big chop. How much more needs to be chopped to be fully natural. Also, I imagine it's SOOO much easier to detangle. Is that true? Thanks for posting pics. I had to turn my laptop on it's side instead of my head. :lol:

NJoy said:
ojemba

Yes, it does look good! So, you said "mini" big chop. How much more needs to be chopped to be fully natural. Also, I imagine it's SOOO much easier to detangle. Is that true? Thanks for posting pics. I had to turn my laptop on it's side instead of my head. :lol:

NJoy I have about 5 inches in the back and it's a lill longer in the crown. It is a Breeze to detangle if this continue I'll be good until - I would like to transition for a year and a half before officially BCing.

Funny thing on my phone the pics are positioned heads up but when I was on the computer I saw it was on the side loll. It's just easier for me to post pics of my phone cuz my phone also serves as my camera.

This trim was also a form of commitment to transition there is no going back now that I've lost my length.

@DDTexlaxed

I'm in for the long haul. :yep: Hubby is doing better and is still to tired to take pics. NJoy, are you transitioning or are you going to relax after a year? Truthfully, I miss my natural hair, but as of right now, I have no plans to be natural in the future. Can you please give me tips on how you successfully stretch so long?

I'm in for the long haul. :yep: Hubby is doing better and is still to tired to take pics. NJoy, are you transitioning or are you going to relax after a year? Truthfully, I miss my natural hair, but as of right now, I have no plans to be natural in the future. Can you please give me tips on how you successfully stretch so long?

DDTexlaxed

Whether to transition or relax is the question. I've always said that if I can make it to 52 weeks then I'd officially transition. But I think stretching this long has a lot to do with being too lazy to relax. And, the last time I texlaxed after a decent stretch (I think 38 or 39 wks) it didn't seem to make that much difference. But the night and day difference in textures between natural and relaxed keep my committed...for now.

All that to say, I'm transitioning with a stretch back up. I won't call it official until 52 wks but I don't even think about relaxing (even tho I have 2 kits on hand).

My last long stretch was tricky because I was under so much stress and neglecting my hair. I felt like I was losing so much hair detangling in the shower.

This time around, less manipulation and more finger detangling. Oh, and Crisco has been a major help in keeping my braids from tangling together and makes detangling easier. And staying on top of my DC.

I'm not bothering my hair much. I've been wearing Celie braids and working scarves, snoods and wigs, when needed.

I've actually been getting the hang of stretching the further I get in my stretch.

NJoy

This is me exactly right now. I'm not calling my "stretch" a transition until February 2013 once I have my baby and when I stop breastfeeding. I psyched myself out by jumping on the transitioning train too soon last time and ended up relaxing. This time I'm making no promises to myself either way.

Oh, and I forgot to say I'm joining this thread! Its perfect for my limbo state. I'm 25 weeks post now and stretching until February for a total of 16 months (approximately)

I'm still in box plaits, but I took one out a few days ago because I was antsy to feel my NG. I LOVE it! I shampooed with CON yesterday the lil patch was out. The natural piece (about 2 inches long) feels soft and moisturized (with just the shampoo!), but the relaxed piece has yet to dry...odd...

To tell the truth, I might cut that relaxed piece off...:spinning:

I'm still in box plaits, but I took one out a few days ago because I was antsy to feel my NG. I LOVE it! I shampooed with CON yesterday the lil patch was out. The natural piece (about 2 inches long) feels soft and moisturized (with just the shampoo!), but the relaxed piece has yet to dry...odd...

To tell the truth, I might cut that relaxed piece off...:spinning:

newbeginnings2010

:grin: I did that with a small piece too. I was soo happy to see a lil spirally curl that I cut off the relaxed part to see what the spiral would do. The spiral was about 1.25" but stretched, it was actually 7" of hair. Wow! I took pics and said I mini BC'd. :lol:

@newbeginnings2010

:grin: I did that with a small piece too. I was soo happy to see a lil spirally curl that I cut off the relaxed part to see what the spiral would do. The spiral was about 1.25" but stretched, it was actually 7" of hair. Wow! I took pics and said I mini BC'd. :lol:

@NJoy

Yeah, like an hour after I posted that...I cut it! :lol: Just that little piece, though. I love my soft, cottony mini BC'd piece of hair. I think it will keep me motivated in this stretch/transition.

@NJoy: Now we want to see pics of your hair with that thick and long new growth so we can drool.

Yeah well. First I have to get thru a major detangling session. I fell asleep with my hair loose (had ponytail holders on my braids but took them off because they felt tight while I was sleeping). Then for some crazy reason, I woke up in the middle of the night an put on a plastic cap instead of my satin cap. :nono: You know my head sweated and my ng drew up tight. I've been trying to detangle/DC/Detangle since.

I'm still in an overnight DC as I type. Later today, I will try to detangle. While I was trying to ddetangle last night, I did get to see some really coily ng in the back. That made me want to just cut my relaxed ends so that I can stop fighting the multi textures. But, I think I'll try to tough it out for at least a few more months.

All that to say, I'll try to post pics of something as soon as the detangling nightmare is over. Although, I'm praying that my tangles will just melt and there will be no nightmare....:look: :lachen: Yeah right.

I guess I should say that I survived the detangling drama and put my hair into twists. I didn't get to do anything special for my 1 yr stretch anniversary but, ah well. I'm just glad to find that my hair is still there. :grin:

I think I learned a lot from that episode. I learned that it's not really tangling but sticking together and stuck in the shrinkage. So, I learned to be patient, take my time and release my hair instead of ripping through and creating knots for myself.

Anywho, I'm 53 wks post and officially transitioning so, I'm gonna dip outta this thread. But I'll continue to peek in to check on you ladies. If you're looking for me, I'll be over in the transitioning without BC thread. Maybe I'll see some of you there. :bighug:

Awwww. All the best in your transition.
Did you try detangling under running water after infusing coconut oil in your hair? That is helpful to me and I can usually comb my hair with no snags or tangles. Sometimes my hair is so soft while detangling that I comb from roots to ends then I remember that its a no NO!

Awwww. All the best in your transition.
Did you try detangling under running water after infusing coconut oil in your hair? That is helpful to me and I can usually comb my hair with no snags or tangles. Sometimes my hair is so soft while detangling that I comb from roots to ends then I remember that its a no NO!

I did, actually. I oiled my hair with coconut oil the night before, hoping to do sort of an oil rinse to help with detangling. Nope. Then I tried a rinse out conditioner. Then an overnight DC. Ah, don't make me rehash it.

It probably could've worked if I wasn't panicking and thinking my hair was matted in knot. I finally ended up using AVJ to help loosen the hair while I released the hair from itself by pulling clumps apart and pulling downward, section by section to release what was caught up in the shrinkage.

I'm definitely gonna give CO another shot now that I know what I'm doing. :lol: Thanks for the tip. I want to have the ease that you described. :lick:

Patience, my dear, and a large quantity of coconut oil, almost dripping. Let me know how it works next time.
BTW, have you tried Mane and Tail deep moisturizing conditioner? One time abt 3 mths ago I took out cornrows and was too lazy to detangle so I washed my hair and went to sleep:ohwell: Wait til I woke up and a wide tooth comb felt like a fine tooth. I slathered MnT and covered my hair with a shower cap for 8 hrs. I was able to comb it then. Lesson learned. I am now sticking to wigs, like before. Easier to deal with 6 braids than 30 cornrows on my head.:yep:

Last edited:
Just a little recommendation. I used to have problems detangling my hair after washing especially while stretching relaxers. One day I decided to try Motions conditioner with Silicone and it changed my life. LITERALLY! If you have thick hair all you need is a good lather up with this stuff and the comb slides right through. Everyone I've told about it couldn't believe how great it was, they just thought I was overselling the product at first. ALL of them still use it even friends who are all natural. Its the Motions brand that says 'with silicone' in the front of the tube (it comes in a bottle as well). LIFE CHANGER!

16 weeks in with 16 weeks before I relax. Keeping my hair braided right up with extensions. I DC weekly with WEN and Joico GVP. Every three to 4 days, douse my hair in braid spray and at night, using a sulfur mix on my scalp.

Had a set back last stretch, so I'm not taking any chances with this stretch....

Back