Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

Ladies, I want join so bad but I'm kinda scared. I'm 13 weeks right now and its a jungle. I will try to stretch until 7/13..........so I guess I'm in.

Ladies, I want join so bad but I'm kinda scared. I'm 13 weeks right now and its a jungle. I will try to stretch until 7/13..........so I guess I'm in.

OT - Try her "scarf method"........it works wonders and Sylver should probably patent it because she's the first person I got it from. I'm a little over 12weeks and you would never know.......AND I use growth aids so I'm working with a lot of ng. The scarf is a miracle worker. HTH!

Well I was already going for 8 months (32 weeks) this time around anyway so this is very timely and I could definitely use the support.

I will be 3 months (12 weeks) post tomorrow and have 5 more months to go before my next relaxer, so please count me in:yep:.

Braids and cornrows are helping me out for now.

yup exactly..thats what gets me thru though..A LOT of conditioner. on my 11th and 12th month maan i spent soo much money on conditioners.

I'm thinking that starting with week 8 I will have to use the relaxer applicator brush to apply my conditioner to make sure I completely get my new growth.

Count me in. I've got quite a stretch ahead. My original intention was to stretch until September so round about 30 weeks. right now I pay special attention to my NG and the demarcation line. I moisturise these once a day along with my ends. That seems to be working out quite well. I am now 10 weeks post but as the days go on, I'll see what changes I have to make. I've also started braid outs which I am loving. No idea why I hadn't tried these sooner.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that starting with week 8 I will have to use the relaxer applicator brush to apply my conditioner to make sure I completely get my new growth.

Picking a brush up today. That is the only way I'll be able to apply conditioner and protein treatments later.

That's how I do it when I'm several weeks post relaxer. It is very effective! :yep:

Good luck with the six month+ stretches ladies, I don't think I'm quite ready for that challenge yet. 5 months tops for me right now! :)

I'm in. I origianlly decided to stretch for 16 weeks (May 3rd) but I'm doing so well and a friend of mine is trying to convince me to wait until August. I just may do that!! My new growth is soft and easy to manage from frquent CO washes and DC's. Question for everyone: This is my first time stretching beyond 11 weeks. What hairstyles do you use to manage your NG?

^ Out of pure laziness I use half and lace wigs. I have a human braidout style half wig that matches my newgrowth.

I'm in... My plan is to be a long-term transitioner :-)

I am almost 17 weeks post relaxer(will be on Saturday), I really want to transition for at least a year so I'll need this thread.

What's helping me so far: Cowashing, detangling while saturated in conditioner, low manipulation between washes, moisturising often and moisture/protein balance.

Thanks OP for starting this!

Last edited:
I am in!!! Shooting for 6 months. Last relaxer 1/24/09. Y'all pray for me,this will be my longest stretch ever. I think MT is making my ng softer, but we shall see.

Also, I will incorporate a weekly deep steam treatment.

Last edited:
I'm in but I'm so afraid that I won't be able style my SL hair once I get past 3 months. If it gets too bad, I guess I'll have to throw on a wig. LOL.

****off to Ulta to buy lots of Rusk Smoother****

ETA: I am only 4 weeks post.

Last edited:
I'm in. I origianlly decided to stretch for 16 weeks (May 3rd) but I'm doing so well and a friend of mine is trying to convince me to wait until August. I just may do that!! My new growth is soft and easy to manage from frquent CO washes and DC's. Question for everyone: This is my first time stretching beyond 11 weeks. What hairstyles do you use to manage your NG?

I do rollersets and twist my hair into a bun, a rather anemic looking bun, but a bun nonetheless. If I'm going somewhere, like later today, I'll clip my hair into a ponytail using a barette or a banana clip.

On Sundays to go to church, I usually wear my hair down with a headband.

I bought one of these a couple of months back and haven't used it as yet, so thanks for posting...now I pull it out and use it for my conditioner applications:yep:.

I will be 13 weeks on Saturday and I want to join. I can go much longer but I'm going away for Memorial and I thought about getting a relaxer since it will be easier for me to handle while I'm swimming and such. I'll try to hold out until 6 months which will be in July.

I forgot 2 say how far out I am I got so excited....I misspoke in the other thread, upon checking my calendar I am 13 weeks post.

ETA: I will do a 6 monthe stretch and relax somewhere around June 17th.

Last edited:
Count me in this challenge. I am 26 weeks post relaxer. A year for me will be around October.
I'm amazed at how easy it is. I sometimes wash my hair in the sink, but not very often. I don't detangle in the shower with conditioner. After washing and deep conditioning my hair, I towel dry it and then I use lots of Mane n Tail Detangler spraying it all over my hair. I then divide hair into left and right side and I work with each side, taking small sections and spraying more detangling spray on each section. I start at the ends with my wide tooth comb/pic and detangle until there are no more tangles. After I'm finish with each section, I add my Carrot oil (water base), follow with oil moisturiser or oil paying particular attention to my hair ends. I then move on to the next section. After the whole left side is done, I then comb through to make sure all the tangles are gone, add a little more oil/oil moisturiser; I bantu knot my hair, and then move to the right side and do the same thing. I've noticed how much stronger my hair is since stretching my relaxers. It also looks much healthier. I have a flexistrand weave in my hair as a protective style and the hairdresser said I have about 2 1/2 inches of new growth. My last touchup was October, so that puts me on track. I want to achieve at least 6 inches of new growth by October. I also noticed that I have very little breakage/shedding which is impressive for me because I always every wash day had about a golf ball of shed hair. That golf ball is reduced by 75%. I stopped using alot of products in my hair. I just do the basics. I started washing again with Cream of Nature shampoo (makes my hair soft and preps it because it lessens the tangles), I do a 20-30 minute protein or protein/moisturiser hair treatment with heat, and then 60 minute moisturising conditioner without heat. I wash out and then proceed as outlined above.

Count me in too!! I'm currently in my 4th month. I can't figure out if I want to transition or end my stretch around June like I originally planned. I got a sew in this week because I was starting to get antsy. I hope to keep it in at least 3-4 weeks.

I'd like to join!

By the time I finish the stretch, I'll know for sure if I want to transition.

I'm in... My plan is to be a long-term transitioner :-)

! I am almost 17 weeks post relaxer(will be on Saturday), I really want to transition for at least a year so I'll need this thread.
What's helping me so far: Cowashing, detangling while saturated in conditioner, low manipulation between washes, moisturising often and moisture/protein balance.

Thanks OP for starting this!

I would love to be in this challenge! I'm trying to transition too...it may just turn into a long stretch. I guess we shall see...I'm only 14 weeks post right now. It helps that others are unsure about the route they're taking too...I have someone that I can relate to.

Last edited:
Back