Insomnia, Hair, And Overall Health....do Not Sleep On Sleep!

BrownSkinQT

As many of you know, sleep is vital to repair and replenish our bodies. I have been suffering from insomnia for the last three years (:eek:, I know). I had NO IDEA how badly that has impacted me all this time. I always felt something was wrong within, but didn't know how to address it, aside from sleeping drugs, wine, and marijuana. NOTHING was working after awhile and I felt stuck.

Over the last two or so years, I've noticed my body hair was falling out. The hair on my head would not cooperate as far as moisture and protein was concerned. My hair basically looked like **** on a stick....and still kinda does. Again, I had no idea insomnia was the culprit. Lack of sleep threw my whole body off balance. I saw an acupuncturist a little of a week ago and while it did ease my anxiety, I'm not sleeping all the way through like I'd like. I've had two treatments so far and I know it's a long road ahead before I see the sleep results I really desire. He's the one who told me I'm blood and fluid deficient. That explains the appearance of my hair and the lightness of my cycle. I was blaming a stylist for jacking up my hair, but it was indirectly myself. :(:mad::confused:

I hope this post helps someone out that may also be suffering. This is not a fun condition.

As many of you know, sleep is vital to repair and replenish our bodies. I have been suffering from insomnia for the last three years :)eek:, I know). I had NO IDEA how badly that has impacted me all this time. I always felt something was wrong within, but didn't know how to address it, aside from sleeping drugs, wine, and marijuana. NOTHING was working after awhile and I felt stuck.

Over the last two or so years, I've noticed my body hair was falling out. The hair on my head would not cooperate as far as moisture and protein was concerned. My hair basically looked like **** on a stick....and still kinda does. Again, I had no idea insomnia was the culprit. Lack of sleep threw my whole body off balance. I saw an acupuncturist a little of a week ago and while it did ease my anxiety, I'm not sleeping all the way through like I'd like. I've had two treatments so far and I know it's a long road ahead before I see the sleep results I really desire. He's the one who told me I'm blood and fluid deficient. That explains the appearance of my hair and the lightness of my cycle. I was blaming a stylist for jacking up my hair, but it was indirectly myself. :(:mad::confused:

I hope this post helps someone out that may also be suffering. This is not a fun condition.
Iron deficiency is a cause of all: anaemia, hair loss, and insomnia.
Hope you get better soon!

I know all about that anaemia, it has given me a lot of problems but I've finally got it under control now and my shedding is normal.

I've had some problems with insomnia too, and seeing as doctors don't like to give you sleeping pills I've had to try my own strategies to alleviate the problem which has helped somewhat. I still could do with more sleep, I get about 6 hours but would prefer 7-8. I do get a lot of rest in at the weekends.

Wish you the best of luck at sorting it out OP.

Last edited:
Insomnia causes weight gain too. I go to a sleep clinic on Monday so, hopefully he won't put me anymore drugs and will submit me for a sleep study to really get to the root of the problem.

How did you get your anemia under control, @LushLox?

I take the supplements but I've really upped my iron intake in my diet. So lots of green veg, beans and pulses and red meat. Before I started to encounter the problems I totally cut out red meat which I think prompted the problems in the first place so I've started eating it again but in moderation.

I know all about that anaemia, it has given me a lot of problems but I've finally got it under control now and my shedding is normal.

I've had some problems with insomnia too, and seeing as doctors don't like to give you sleeping pills I've had to try my own strategies to alleviate the problem which has helped somewhat. I still could do with more sleep, I get about 6 hours but would prefer 7-8. I do get a lot of rest in at the weekends.

Wish you the best of luck at sorting it out OP.
My acupuncturist "prescribed" me some Chinese herbs to drink twice a day. Nasty as hell, but effective.

I have insomnia and Anemia and my hair comes out in clumps everyday. I want to find someone to cut it into a pixie and be done with it.
Are you taking Vit D3 and Iron? I wake up everyday 3-4am and I only get 4 hours of sleep. I used to use my Fitbit to track my sleep and every hour I was waking up... but I have always been that way. I do know that 3-4am stuff is recently within the last year.

Are you taking Vit D3 and Iron? I wake up everyday 3-4am and I only get 4 hours of sleep. I used to use my Fitbit to track my sleep and every hour I was waking up... but I have always been that way. I do know that 3-4am stuff is recently within the last year.
Yes, the last time I went to the doctor she said my vitamin d was low so I just started taking that. And when I can remember I take mega blood builder for iron but I am not consistent.

I have insomnia and Anemia and my hair comes out in clumps everyday. I want to find someone to cut it into a pixie and be done with it.
You never know. Maybe curing your iron deficiency will stop your shedding. If you have overt anaemia your ferritin levels are probably very low. According to many sources you need ferritin levels above 90 to be able to stop shedding, but initially all the iron you take will go into synthesizing more red blood cells. So you will need to consistently take high amounts of iron initially while following up your ferritin levels. You might be surprised by how high your iron intake needs to be to reach nd maintain healthy ferritin levels.

You sound a lot like me, but I'm a 2am riser for some reason. I'm at a sleep clinic as I type waiting to set up a sleep study appt. It's that serious and I've been dealing for far too long.

You never know. Maybe curing your iron deficiency will stop your shedding. If you have overt anaemia your ferritin levels are probably very low. According to many sources you need ferritin levels above 90 to be able to stop shedding, but initially all the iron you take will go into synthesizing more red blood cells. So you will need to consistently take high amounts of iron initially while following up your ferritin levels. You might be surprised by how high your iron intake needs to be to reach nd maintain healthy ferritin levels.

When you say following up your ferritin levels, do you mean taking another iron supplement?

Back