Information About Hard Water and Hair...

MrJohnsonsRib

So as I was checking thru my subscriptions I realized I had subscribed to the Kiya Fizzle thread a while back and tried the recipe with results too minimal to really feel like I had a staple, which bothered me because it seemed to do so well for others. So I decided to read through it for more reviews and one of the ladies mentioned the hard water content and I thought "Hmm, could that be part of the problem?" I decided to Google HARD WATER AND HAIR and I came across this link http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/hardwater.htm

I began to read through it and it was somewhat of a lightbulb...I decided to check the map in the article to determine my area's water hardness and apparently we have "Moderately Hard Water" in Alaska...I even decided to see where JustKiya lived and she has her location at Tenessee and they have primarily "Soft Water", so that could explain the difference in results on my hair and hers. I am glad that I took the time to figure out what was reallyt behind the issue. The link goes into explaining the diffeence between soap and detergent. Natural occuring "soaps" are fine, despite their "non lathering" and it's actually the detergents that are the BAD ones...I knew that detergents (sulfates) were bad but not that they were ALSO meant to deep (and over) clean because of mineral deposits on hair not just the everyday dirt or product buildup we get....but the article explained it in very easy to understand the relationship between hard water; salt; sulfates; detergents; natural soaps; cuticle health AND vinegar and how they all play a role in hair care. It was enlightening. I'm gonna look into maybe finding a way to soften my water so I can regain the health of my hair. :) Also you can learn more about the KiyaFizzle at this thread here:http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=262381

Hope this helps any of you who are experiencing different results with others with your hair type doing similar regimens. :grin:

Last edited:
Oh and i figured I'd add some info about herbs that help hair too. :)

Useful HAIR Herbs

Burdock: great for thinning hair, dry, irritated scalp, dandruff, and seborrhea
Calendula: conditions
Catnip: Promotes healthy hair growth
Chamomile: a healing and soothing herb to soften hair, soothe the scalp, lighten, condition, and stimulate growth
Horsetail: Helps brittle hair due to its high silica content
Lavender: useful for all hair types it stimulates hair growth, and degreases
Marigold: lightens hair color
Nettle: conditions, improves color and texture, helps with dandruff, irritated scalp, and dry scalp
Parsley: enriches hair color and gives a nice luster
Plantain: great for dry, irritated scalp, dandruff, and seborrhea
Peppermint: stimulates the scalp
Red Clover:
Rosemary: excellent for all hair types and problems it acts as a tonic and conditioner, one of the best herbs to use, gives luster and body, stimulates growth, helps with dandruff, and brings out dark highlights in the hair
Sage: traditionally used to restore color to graying hair, excellent for week hair
Saw Palmetto: good for hair thinning and hair loss
Thyme: good for oily hair, dandruff, and mild hair loss
Witch Hazel: leaves and bark are astringent and cleanse oily hair
Yarrow: for oily hair
Yucca: Navajos swear by yucca root to prevent hair loss and to cure dandruff.

HTH

I'm glad this info was useful to someone. It's something about the hair care journey, especially the natural one that makes you more health conscious. Now I look at labels on products I guy for ANYTHING. I even take the time to understand sciences such as chemistry and biology to get a better idea of why things are the way they are in nature. Becuase once you understand nature you can use that to your advantage, because if you don't nature will win every time and you have to learn to work with it and not against it. I even read cookbooks to learn how and why certain ingredients work in meal prep. It's all so very good for your hair and body- inside and out. Shoot I read books for anything these days. I just feel like a dry dusty sponge that just wants to soak up all around me. You know? Hopefully I can get a way to keep hard water from weakening the affect my products have on my hair. I could actually save money by using less to do more.

Hello mrs johnson... Last week I did that justkyia combo and I love it..........Today I Went out and bought one of my oldie but goodie CON shampoo added Baking soda and ACV and wooooooooo my new growth felt so gooooood(14 weeks post). It felt like I didnt even need condition(moisture nor protein) but Im doing both anyway. Again thank you!!!!

Hello mrs johnson... Last week I did that justkyia combo and I love it..........Today I Went out and bought one of my oldie but goodie CON shampoo added Baking soda and ACV and wooooooooo my new growth felt so gooooood(14 weeks post). It felt like I didnt even need condition(moisture nor protein) but Im doing both anyway. Again thank you!!!!

Awesome. I'm glad you got great results. Keep us posted on your journey when you can. We like to know how others are doing. :)

I feel crazy. I wrote this way back and now I live in an area where my water could be harder than my last residence and I forgot all about the Kiyafizzle...so glad I decided to go backtrack on my posts/threads because my solution for my problems right now may be in a past post. Lol! Wow, look at that. Did anyone else make this a staple ad got great results when they kept it up? Do tell. Oh and by the way I love you ladies. You all are my inspiration and my accountablility partners for when I start jacking up. Lol!

Back