Indigo powder in NYC? Is this real?

Amoreofcurls

A couple of days ago I went to Dual Specialty store (91 1st ave)... First of all lemme tell ya'll, I was so overwhelmed and excited in there because they had like EVERYTHING!! :lol: I got my hands on Marshmellow root , and Brahmi powder...

Ive been on the hunt for indigo powder because I wanna start henna'ing more during the winter but dont want reddish hair...I found a lady (mehandi shop) you can get it from in BK, but you have to schedule to meet up with her, but before I do that I just wanna find a store I can easily purchase on my own time...

I came across this indigo powder in the Dual Store , but I was a lil hesitant to buy it at first because I have read about "fake" indigo powders, and the dangers they may cause...I asked the clerk if it was real indigo powder, he nodded his head yes, but I didnt think I could take his word for it lol, so I just purchased 2 packs ($3.45 each) and decided to try and do my own testing...

It is labeled as Indigofera but it also says 100% Black Henna, we all know there is no such thing as "black henna" so thats why im kinda skeptical bout it...On the hennaforhair website it says that real indigo powder should leak out blue liquid when plopped on paper...When I tried this test the powder, it left a dark brown stain :|....So im not sure if its the type I should keep out of my hair, or if it could possibly be premixed hendigo...

6fbc7c.jpg

10rs1du.jpg

It looks like henna blended with indigo - that's what's commonly sold as black henna. Red plus a little indigo = brown. I don't think it will hurt your hair but as you can see you won't get black color out of it.

Tiye, that what im figuring because it wasnt boxed...and those seem to be the ones that have the other crazy ingredients in them...

I think im gonna use it for my first henna gloss today, just to get rid of it lol...

I have boxes of reshma henna that i'll use when I purchase some actual indigo...

I must go.....not to far from my job what else do they have there?
*Im beating down the inner pj inside*
Tapping fingers.....googles

Not sure about the indigo, but this sound like a great bss I must stop by!

Its not a BSS, its an Indian herb store:spinning:...the walls are just stacked with all kinds of powders from the front to the back of the store...you will be in aurveydic heaven:yep:

I must go.....not to far from my job what else do they have there?
*Im beating down the inner pj inside*
Tapping fingers.....googles

WAY Too much to name, if you name it i'll tell ya:lol:

they also have different types of Vatika products...

Im sitting here with the henna gloss in my hair BTW, I mixed in some Brahmi powder

Amoreofcurl...If you want indigo. The box or package must say indigo not henna. I color my hair with henna and indigo mix. To understand the difference go to Henna for Hair there's a free book that will explain the proper use of it.
In NY there's an Indian grocery store that sells 100% indigo. Kalustyan's 123 Lexington Ave (btwn 28-29 street) tele: 212.685.3451.

Good Luck
Bobbie

Amoreofcurl...If you want indigo. The box or package must say indigo not henna. I color my hair with henna and indigo mix. To understand the difference go to Henna for Hair there's a free book that will explain the proper use of it.
In NY there's an Indian grocery store that sells 100% indigo. Kalustyan's 123 Lexington Ave (btwn 28-29 street) tele: 212.685.3451.

Good Luck
Bobbie

Are you serious???? :blush: I went there before I went to this store, I asked if they had it and the clerk told me no...

But you see that package right? it does say indigo, but it also says "black henna" thats why I was skeptical, and tested on my own...

Are you serious???? :blush: I went there before I went to this store, I asked if they had it and the clerk told me no...

But you see that package right? it does say indigo, but it also says "black henna" thats why I was skeptical, and tested on my own...

I was just there this past Sat. I bought a pack of "black henna" that I assumed was indigo. I haven't tested this batch, but the last time I bought it a couple of years ago, when I mixed it with water, it had that greenishblue film on top that indigo is supposed to get.

the indigo in their store is labeled "black henna". i was skeptical too at first because of the labeling, but i gave it a try & tested it ... it passed the blue-green test, and my hair came out deep, rich black -- finally:) the only thing i didn't like about their indigo was that it wasn't filtered enough. there was tiny bits of plant throughout, which took extra time to condition/rinse out. the last time i used it, i sifted it before i mixed it, & i had a much easier wash out time. the indigo from henna for hair & mehendi didn't work for me (the black color didn't take), i've had success with henna, from henna for hair & would recommend them for that, but not with indigo. the indigo from kalustyan's was the first one that i bought that actually worked for me.

thanks to everyone for this thread.
i want to get my hair jet black without having to use a boxed dye.
wanted to try indigo but didn't want the curl loosening effects that henna gives.

does your curl loosen with indigo as well?

I've also brought black henna in NYC. When I went into the stores initially and asked for Indigo they looked at me like i was crazy. After doing online research I read that indians dont use the term indigo for religious puposes or something. But as long as the black henna is green and smells like peas then it is Indigo. I finally used it when i henndigo and it the color came out great. I purchased mine in the Indian market around 28th lex/park area. They have everything Indian you can imagine!!

thanks to everyone for this thread.
i want to get my hair jet black without having to use a boxed dye.
wanted to try indigo but didn't want the curl loosening effects that henna gives.

does your curl loosen with indigo as well?
@Whimsy
I believe you have to henna your hair 1st so that the indigo has something to attach to. Or you can apply henna and indigo at the same time. But henna is needed for the indigo to dye your hair black. I do the 2-step process on my DH's hair and he is a 3C/4A. His curls loosen some, but by the next shampoo they're back to their normal curliness. He loves the jet black result the 2-step process gives him. And the fact that the process only takes 2 hours (I use the steamer and steam for 1 hour with the henna in his hair. Rinse that out, mix and apply the indigo and steam for 1 hour.) Perfect black hair every time; totally covers the greys.

ETA: I don't wait for the henna to release color before applying it. I mix it and immediately apply it. I don't wait for the red color to release in order for the indigo to dye DH's hair black.

Last edited:
Thank you guys!! im definately heading back to Kalustyan....VirGoViXxEn you are so right about the name, everytime I asked for "indigo" they'd look at me like I had a third eye on my forehead:lachen:...

The powder I bought was definately not pure indigo, but im convinced its a mix, because it didnt stain red at all... my hair feels great! Im officially a henna & cassia head :lol:

Last edited:
YAY! I'm so glad that i found this thread. I've been wondering where i can buy my powders in the city. Thx guys I'll be checking out these stores later.

Bumping to let you all know I was at the dual specialty store yesterday and they had pure indigo by itself, not an indigo/henna mix. It's on the same shelf as the henna

Thank you for sharing this. Is this the 91st and 1 ave store? How much was it?

Bumping to let you all know I was at the dual specialty store yesterday and they had pure indigo by itself, not an indigo/henna mix. It's on the same shelf as the henna

i'd be nervous. Indigo looks peas green and rubs off blue.

Yeah I got my hands on some real indigo form hennasooq, and it definately does bleed blue...so its possible that the henna from the store is premixed hendigo or or henna with the fake stuff...

I could not find some real indigo there for nun, NYDee how was the one you saw there labeled?? there are so many different types of henna there

Back