In Tears - Hair Breakage is Really Bad.

I've been natural for little over a year. I decided to wear a weave two months ago to give my hair some manipulation-free growth, but was sure to moisturize and co-wash my weave, etc.

Well, this evening I took my weave off, and while picking out my hair I noticed huge chunks falling out. At first I thought it was shed hair, but a length check showed 1 inch of hair loss. I'm really upset because I thought I was doing it right.

My hair is really brittle and with each touch I notice more breakage. Could someone tell me what to do in this emergency?

Everyone else on this forum seems to be a success story but I go ahead and lose more hair when I follow the said techniques:sad:

Anyone else had this experience? I'm kinda tired of this. 14 months of pampering this hair and it's barely over 3 inches on average.

Ok, I'm going to stop.

I am so sorry to hear about the breakage. I don't have experience with weaves but I know many will chime in with wonderful advice.
I've used in the past Aveda Damage Intensive Restructuring Treatment and one application stopped the breakage and continuous application helped the situation..

First, what kind of products did you wash with when it was weaved up, how often, did you rub the hair? etc... any details will help.

Now you can do both of these to help stop the breakage, try a protein treatment like Redecouverte said, you could try aphogee 2 step protein treatment, and then follow with the keratin 2 min reconstructor, follow the directions exactly, no changes. After this do a good DC with a creamy thick moisturizing conditioner.
Then you could get some garlic oil and use that as your pre-poo each time you shampoo. Garlic helps stop shedding and breakage. hth

Last edited:
Well the first step is to make sure your hair is fully detangled. Then you might want to section it in some braids to prepare it for washing.

I'd apply a good moisturizing conditioner and let it sit for like an hour, since you said your hair is brittle. After you DC rinse it and pay attention to how your hair is feeling. If it's feeling mushy or stretchy, then you'll need to do a protein treatment soon. If it's still hard and dry then you'll have to focus on moisturizing for a while. It sounds like even though you moisturized and cowashed, your hair was still not getting enough moisture and that's why it's so brittle right now.

Do you have any Aphogee, the stuff that hardens? If so, that should stop it right in it's tracks. If not, you need to get some ASAP! Use it and then a serious moisturizing condish.

Sheesh, I'm sorry hon.

First, what kind of products did you wash with when it was weaved up, how often, did you rub the hair? etc... any details will help.

Now you can do both of these to help stop the breakage, try a protein treatment like Redecouverte said, you could try aphogee 2 step protein treatment, and then follow with the keratin 2 min reconstructor, follow the directions exactly, no changes.
Then you could get some garlic oil and use that as your pre-poo each time you shampoo. Garlic helps stop shedding and breakage. hth

I used dove conditioner every week, and deep-conditioned once with queen helene deep conditioner/raw eggs - not the weave exactly, but the tracks/my hair. I moisturized daily with organic root stimulator carrot oil, and massaged to "stimulate".

I don't understand the rubbing part. I brushed my weave daily, and I pulled while I did so, now that I think about it. Do you think the pulling had anything to do with it?

I used dove conditioner every week, and deep-conditioned once with queen helene deep conditioner/raw eggs - not the weave exactly, but the tracks/my hair. I moisturized daily with organic root stimulator carrot oil, and massaged to "stimulate".

I don't understand the rubbing part. I brushed my weave daily, and I pulled while I did so, now that I think about it. Do you think the pulling had anything to do with it?

You used eggs every week on your hair? Eggs are considered a protein treatment for the hair, so it's very likely that your hair has way too much protein right now and that's why it's brittle.

I don't know about the ORS carrot oil, is it water based? It probably wasn't enough moisture to counteract the protein from the eggs. And, it's hard to rinse stuff out of weave tracks so it could be that a little bit of egg got left in there over time, contributing to brittle feeling.

It maybe have been the co washing that got your hair matted. It sounds like your hair matted (w/ unreleased sheds playing a factor) and the mats weakened by the extra weight of the tracks. Co washing CAN cause matting because the conditioners have wax in them. Some members who co wash and don't comb get unintentional dreds, but I've never heard of it under a weave.

In addition, you used high protein products. Eggs and cholestrol. I think ORS is also high in protein. If you are gonna co wash, stick to high moisture (ie the Dove) and do proten on occassion.

Last edited:
Sorry about that ....I agree with Msa about checking your balance with moisture and protein, at this time I would advise you be very gentle with your hair, I just took down braids and what worked for me was I mixed coconut oil and olive oil and let that sit in for about 30 min to strengthen the strands (I have fine hair) then detangled and immediatley did a protein treatment - Worked like a charm! no breakage whatsoever. I then took precaution and "locked" in the moisture with the oils mentioned above.

I hope this helps and you overcome the breakage hun. good luck :)

You used eggs every week on your hair? Eggs are considered a protein treatment for the hair, so it's very likely that your hair has way too much protein right now and that's why it's brittle.

I don't know about the ORS carrot oil, is it water based? It probably wasn't enough moisture to counteract the protein from the eggs. And, it's hard to rinse stuff out of weave tracks so it could be that a little bit of egg got left in there over time, contributing to brittle feeling.

I did the raw egg thing once over the course of 2 months. I co-washed with dove every week, I mean.

So I guess co-washing isn't so good?

Is queen helen a strong moisturizing deep conditioner? If not, then that's probably one of the major reason for your breakage. Always balance moisture and protein. Heavy protein treatment every week is too much, you should do it once every two weeks or once a month.

Co washing is OK for some, but it does come w/ issues of wax buildup. Some clarify every so often and others comb their hair, but when your hair is neither combed or clairfied, you can get "dreds". It sounds like that's what happend to you.

I did the raw egg thing once over the course of 2 months. I co-washed with dove every week, I mean.

So I guess co-washing isn't so good?

It's not that cowashing isn't good, but that your hair may have needed more.

For example, I can wear weaves for months and only spray a moisturizer daily and not have to wash/condition and when I take it out my hair will be heavily moisturized from root to tip. (But, I do use a lot of moisturzer lol.)

If your hair requires a DC every week...then weaves may not be the best for you because you may not be able to give your strands that tlc. Or you just have to up your conditioning.

Also, if your hair wasn't healthy before the weave then the weave can just make it worse.

Yes pulling def keep that to a min or not at all.
I mean if you wanted to stimulate the scalp use a wide pic or K-cutter to scratch the scalp. try not to rub or move the weaved hair around too much so your real hair doesn't get more tangled. Yeah you shouldn't massage like you do normally or brush the edges, always use you fingers hands to smooth the edges down with water and gel.

Also I think maybe because you hairs braided under the weave the eggs may not have washed out completely thus leaving protein on your hair much too long and some of the egg prob dried in the hair making it hard. JMO

When you hair's braided under the weave only use liquified oils, water, etc... don't do protein treatments, and always dilute conditioner so it's almost like water, use an applicator bottle to get into the tracks so your hair can absorb it. you may need to baggy.
ITA with msa, if your hair was dry/damaged before you should treat it while it's out before you braid and weave it up.

Last edited:
Is queen helen a strong moisturizing deep conditioner? If not, then that's probably one of the major reason for your breakage. Always balance moisture and protein. Heavy protein treatment every week is too much, you should do it once every two weeks or once a month.

No, it's protein heavy.

I mean if you wanted to stimulate the scalp use a wide pic or K-cutter to scratch the scalp.

This is slightly off topic but the kcutter is AMAZING for massaging and scratching my scalp when I'm wearing a weave. It gets right in the braids without pulling them out.

I gather you got the egg out because you said nothing of stench. If the egg was the problem, you'da smelled it.

I gather you got the egg out because you said nothing of stench. If the egg was the problem, you'da smelled it

Yes, I thought I was thorough with washing out the egg. I did this once, just to reiterate.

I'm going to have to conclude that my hair wasn't moisturized enough. dang. 1 inch might sound so small to some but it's quite a bit for me. My hair looks like a shrunken hot mess.

I'm about to DC. 1 hour, right? I would have gotten aphogee prior to this, just in case, but I guess it was overconfidence with my moisturizing, etc. i'll do so first thing tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your breakage. It sounds like you need some moisture.

Luckily you didn't lose more than 1 inch. In 2 months you'll have it right back and you won't make the same mistakes again.

Yes, I thought I was thorough with washing out the egg. I did this once, just to reiterate.

I'm going to have to conclude that my hair wasn't moisturized enough. dang. 1 inch might sound so small to some but it's quite a bit for me. My hair looks like a shrunken hot mess.

I'm about to DC. 1 hour, right?

Yeah, definitely do a DC. I know it sucks to have lost the hair, but it's a learning experience.

Adding a natural oil like olive or coconut, like Bettina said, is a really good idea as well. It will help increase the moisture.

I am definitely going to agree with the other ladies. It sounds like a protein overload. Whenever I am in any type of braids or weaves I NEVER EVER EVER Dc with a heavy protein. I always use a light leave in strengthener (and most of the time thats diluted 25-50%) and I spray that on my hair (i use infusium) about once every 2-3 weeks. The rest of the time I use my moisturizer. I dont even cowash sadly anymore in weaves & braids cause the conditioner mixed with the shed hair makes it mat. I always just use aloevera + water spray mix as a moisturizer since its no build up, aloe vera cleans the scalp + much moisturizing. I hope that what I am saying helps you for next time you try a protective style like this. I am so sorry this happened to you & hey think of it this way...it could always be A LOT WORSE. I would hop on the moisturizing conditioners asap or just do a strand test to see what your hair needs.

I'm sorry about your experience and I can completely understand :o *hugs* I just went through a similar experience with my micros as I was taking them out I found this forum and discovered a Godsend *prepoo*. To salvage what hair I had left I used olive oil and my Dove conditioner and let it sit as I finger detangled what I could...I did make sure though to also DC for at least 45mins and made sure to put olive oil in it as well...To be honest I believed it saved what was left of my hair as it became easy to detangle (found out that the ladies used beeswax and gel when they were braiding my micros, which caused alot of damage) and started my hair on its way to recovery... It will get better....the ladies on here have so much insight so hopefully something written will definitely help you!

i just suffered a similar set back but not under a weave, had a lot of breakage and unnecessary shedding and posted on it.. and i got some of the same advice.. my hair was dry after switching to a lye relaxer.. it was "soft" but still very dry and coming out in my hands in my comb... i was scared to touch my head at all.. i upped the moisture all the way up and that seemed to make the biggest difference... like immediately.. i was also told to try the porosity control conditioner and i think that was a God send... it wont hurt as it is a conditioner but it made all the difference in the world and helped the moisture i put in, stay in...

you'd be surprised how resilient our hair really is.. Im certain you will bounce right back after taking the suggestions of the vets on here as mine seemed to...

i feel your pain.. i cried too.. but no more tears.. just moisture!!!!

Also dont forget that sometimes when you get out a sew in your hair can deceptively look very thin because:
1) You're used to having the rather full weave hair on your head
2) new growth always looks so much thicker than the relaxed ends so we can mistakenly think we have lost tonnes of hair

In any case, I am sure if you do what the ladies have said it will all turn out well.

I am definitely going to agree with the other ladies. It sounds like a protein overload. Whenever I am in any type of braids or weaves I NEVER EVER EVER Dc with a heavy protein. I always use a light leave in strengthener (and most of the time thats diluted 25-50%) and I spray that on my hair (i use infusium) about once every 2-3 weeks. The rest of the time I use my moisturizer. I dont even cowash sadly anymore in weaves & braids cause the conditioner mixed with the shed hair makes it mat. I always just use aloevera + water spray mix as a moisturizer since its no build up, aloe vera cleans the scalp + much moisturizing. I hope that what I am saying helps you for next time you try a protective style like this. I am so sorry this happened to you & hey think of it this way...it could always be A LOT WORSE. I would hop on the moisturizing conditioners asap or just do a strand test to see what your hair needs.

Wow this looks like a real good and simple regimen. Can I ask you how often you would wash (I know you mentioned that you stopped cowashing)? Also are you using the aloe vera moisturizer on all extension textures?

Back