In Criticism of Giovanni Direct Leave-In

Has Giovanni Direct given you problems? (ex: crunchiness, tangling, or matting)

• Total voters
I love Giovani Direct but mostly because I was warned not to use too much of it. Just a little goes a very long way. I walked away from it trying to see if there was something better. But it worked very well on my hair. Outside of the now discontinued Aveda Elixer, this is what will give me the moisture and look I want time after time.

I love this stuff. Its been working out well for my hair. A little of this goes a long way.

I love Giovani Direct but mostly because I was warned not to use too much of it. Just a little goes a very long way. I walked away from it trying to see if there was something better. But it worked very well on my hair. Outside of the now discontinued Aveda Elixer, this is what will give me the moisture and look I want time after time.

:look: Question: A dime size amount per sections or a quater size amonut for the whole head?

i've tried it once on dry hair and it made my hair a hard dry mess. but i have a small sample sixe so one day i will try it on wet hair.
i do however love giovanni deeper moisture conditioner as a leave in, its wonderful.

I remember reading something about how a person's personal diet can really affect how our products work. Protein being one of the big ones. If you have a lot of protein in your diet, you're not going to need much when it comes to your hair since you've already compensated for it. So something with a bunch of protein in it like this is detrimental to your hair. Whereas those of us who don't get a lot of protein for whatever reason it's a Godsend. But that's just my opinion. :)

I think this might work if you use heat. I will test this theory one day if it does not contain Sodium Chloride .... <surprised at the number of products that do>

Yes, this is true for me, too. I used the deeper moisture conditioner as a leave-in last week and it was wonderful.

i've tried it once on dry hair and it made my hair a hard dry mess. but i have a small sample sixe so one day i will try it on wet hair.
i do however love giovanni deeper moisture conditioner as a leave in, its wonderful.

I remember reading something about how a person's personal diet can really affect how our products work. Protein being one of the big ones. If you have a lot of protein in your diet, you're not going to need much when it comes to your hair since you've already compensated for it. So something with a bunch of protein in it like this is detrimental to your hair. Whereas those of us who don't get a lot of protein for whatever reason it's a Godsend. But that's just my opinion. :)

OK THIS makes sense. My hair does NOT seem to care for protein at all, not even after texturizing. 6 years ago I began to lose 80+ lb following a low carb moderate protein way of eating. My protein intake is probably higher than ever now... which probably explains that. THANKS.

Ok...I tried the Direct Leave in but I do not like it---I've used very small amounts on Dry and Wet hair and my result even when using it solely is that is leaves buildup and little white balls in my hair. :( I will not be purchasing again...as for the Smooth as Silk line it was wonderful! :)

I used it for the first time a couple weeks ago and it made my hair very hard and crunchy, I dont like how it feels, its too conditioner like, I prefer a buttery feel, but I will use the rest to cowash with.

YEP, I thought this stuff was cool. It worked well for a rollerset. But after washing my hair out last night, my hair felt so HARD and tangly. Because I'd done a protein and a moisture DC prior to its use (I didn't realize the giovanni was a protein) and I did a moisture for 1/2 an hour under a hard hat dryer, I am concluding that this did not work for me! My hair loves moisture. It only likes a little protein.

I was EXTREMELY HEAVY HANDED with the product, so that might be the problem. But, I need a lot of slip when I detangle, I tried to use it for slip, and that didn't work too well for me.

Ugggh....I don't like this stuff. I might use it if I wear a wash and go because it defined my curls well.

Like someone else said, I have a lot more luck with KBB's hair milk. I saturated my hair with that, and oils, and my hair is just beginning to feel soft and touchable again.

I may try it again, but then again, I will probably be just giving it to my mother.

Isn't it weird how different our hair is?
I LOVE Giovanni direct leave-in, in fact it's one of the few leave-ins that keeps my natural 4a/b hair soft and silky. I apply it to wet hair and twist or style. Sometimes I seal with oils - I like Oyin burnt sugar - but the leave-in holds in moisture well enough.
What's funny is my hair HATES coconut oil - leaves it super dry and brittle.
I wonder if there is a correlation between hair which hates coconut oil loving Giovanni leave-in...
I live in the UK or I would have gladly bought your stash.

Isn't it weird how different our hair is?
I LOVE Giovanni direct leave-in, in fact it's one of the few leave-ins that keeps my natural 4a/b hair soft and silky. I apply it to wet hair and twist or style. Sometimes I seal with oils - I like Oyin burnt sugar - but the leave-in holds in moisture well enough.
What's funny is my hair HATES coconut oil - leaves it super dry and brittle.
I wonder if there is a correlation between hair which hates coconut oil loving Giovanni leave-in...
I live in the UK or I would have gladly bought your stash.

I love the UK accent, from all over the POND :) You may be onto something with the Giovanni and Coconut Oil theories. So far as I can tell my hair likes Coconut Oil, so long as that oil is mixed with something else. My hair hated this stuff. I can see why it would work for some, but it didn't agree with my hair.

I really like this leave in, I put it in my hair when it's soaking wet though, because on towel dried hair it does not work well at all, so on soaking wet hair it melts right in my strands and makes it so easy to detangle.

I do notice that it does not give my hair shine when I rollerset, but when I do a braidout with it my hair shines like crazy smh confused.

overall I like it. but remember use on soaking wet hair.

edit: it gives me the softest hair ever! and it stays that way til my next wash.

Long hair lover, it did make my hair shiny.

OOOHH maybe that's what I did wrong. I had towel dried my hair. Not much but enough. i always do.

Thanks for the tip.

It does not work wonders for me either. I'm 4 texlaxed and it makes my hair crunchy and hard if I don't use it with something else.:ohwell:

It made my hair feel like it was coated but I diluted it with water and use in a spray bottle, and it works fine now.

You know, it all depends on the hair. My daughter who it transitioning and a 4a/b mix, it works wonders for her. For me, it didn't do a dang thing. I got fabulous results from Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-in.

So, after learning from some enthusiasts on this board that one cannot be admitted to heaven without using Giovanni Direct, I went out and bought it, eagerly awaiting the effects of this holy balm. I slathered it on my braids and braided them up. And no, I did not use any more of this than I use of any other hair product.

All was well.

Until I started taking them down.

My hair was so hard, crunchy, and worst of all, TANGLED that I thought I might lose it all. I have found that soaking my hair in coconut oil greatly relieves the tangling and hardness, but why would God require us to use this stuff in order to gain admittance at the pearly gates when it is surely a leading cause of baldness?

Now, I have found that mixing the stuff with oil, preferably coconut, in about a 1:2 ratio (meaning twice as much oil as leave-in) relieves the crunchiness. But what good is it when it's eating up my coconut oil supply in order to be just ok as a leave-in? I would have just thrown out this devil's brew, but in my refusal to let the Giovanni Direct train pass me by, I bought 4 bottles (33.5 oz each) of the stuff. So, I look forward to years of using it on my body, sauteeing my vegetables with it, washing clothing with it, and using it as a mixer for alcoholic beverages in order to have any hope of gaining relief from the Scourge of Giovanni.

There's no real point to this post, except to complain and warn others. When the Giovanni Direct train comes into town, let it pass.

Oh, and if anyone can recommend a better leave-in (that isn't $65 for 2oz or some ridiculous price like that), please do.

Am I the only one dismayed by Giovanni Direct?
Lmao

They changed the formula years ago. Before it would melt into your hair and you had pillow softness. They also switched from oils to extracts. I think I still have the original bottle somewhere. The only thing that may come close is Trader Joe's condish.

They changed the formula years ago. Before it would melt into your hair and you had pillow softness. They also switched from oils to extracts. I think I still have the original bottle somewhere. The only thing that may come close is Trader Joe's condish.
Yeah they did. They added aloe vera as one of the top ingredients too. My relaxed hair hated it but my natural hair loves it (thank God).

Back