In a HAIR RUT

laurend085

I just want to vent for a second because everyone elses suggestion would be to slap on a perm. .I have been completely natural for the past year. My hair is somewhere between sl and apl. I am at a point where I have no idea what to do with my Jair style wise. I don't want to straighten it. This is what I normally do when I don't know what else to do with it but I'm trying not to straighten do much. It only last a week or two anyway before it needs a wash or I just feel like wetting it conditioning it. I don't want any extension type style. I don't like how my braid outs twist outs Bantu knot outs come out. Wash n goes=too much shrinkage for my liking..most times has an awkward shape and I can never seem to get the product combo right. I had mini twists in actually for a month. They were alright but I don't really want those again right now. My go to style is a puff/pony but it's gotten to be do boring and plain to me. So...I really don't know what else to do...

Aw, I'm sorry about your hair woes, but I do want to say that I love your puff! It's so cute!

I think we all feel that way about our hair sometimes. Have you done any LHCF or Youtube research on some different styles or hair products to help with your rut? I'm already creating an arsenal of transitioning and natural hairstyles that I think my hair can handle for when I feel like I'm in a hair rut. Also, what about getting some cute new hair accessories or even jewelry to bring your look together? HTH

Nothing to add other then (((hugs))). I am in the same boat. I don't even post in haircare threads much anymore.

I feel like drawing you some flowers and a teddy bear thanks to wasted hours doodling on Draw Something®. LOL

newbeginnings2010 said:
Aw, I'm sorry about your hair woes, but I do want to say that I love your puff! It's so cute!

I think we all feel that way about our hair sometimes. Have you done any LHCF or Youtube research on some different styles or hair products to help with your rut? I'm already creating an arsenal of transitioning and natural hairstyles that I think my hair can handle for when I feel like I'm in a hair rut. Also, what about getting some cute new hair accessories or even jewelry to bring your look together? HTH

newbeginnings2010

Thanks...yea I've been thru lhcf and YouTube the past few days trying to find SOMETHING that stands out or that I could get to work on my hair. I've experimented recently with different product combos mainly for a wash n go. I also forgot those turn out feeling dry n crunchy as it drys no matter what combo I've tried. Using less product doesn't get the results I want. But anyway accessories and jewelry can help but I still need a "style".

allmundjoi said:
Nothing to add other then (((hugs))). I am in the same boat. I don't even post in haircare threads much anymore.

I feel like drawing you some flowers and a teddy bear thanks to wasted hours doodling on Draw Something®. LOL

allmundjoi thanks! I don't rarely post here if anywhere or view threads on the hair section unless it pops up in my current threads or I'm subbed to it.

allmundjoi, what is Draw Something? Sounds like something I'd enjoy. Do share please! :poke:

laurend085 Do you like hats or wraps or wigs? If you do, you could just do some celie braids, wrap head with Saran wrap (no product for an awesome conditioning)...and rock some nice head gear. With the days getting sunnier, summer hats would work. If you are not comfortable with something on your head in hot weather, then this may only work for you on colder days.

Unfortunately, puffs are my favorite style too. And twists are a blast for me too coz I treat them like hair and do different things with them. I am sorry but I also just feel like drawing you a flower coz I can't really empathize since I'm never bored with my hair, so I can't really think of what else you can do. Maybe you should hit up Mandy4610"s album for styling ideas.

Nonie said:
allmundjoi, what is Draw Something? Sounds like something I'd enjoy. Do share please! :poke:

laurend085 Do you like hats or wraps or wigs? If you do, you could just do some celie braids, wrap head with Saran wrap (no product for an awesome conditioning)...and rock some nice head gear. With the days getting sunnier, summer hats would work. If you are not comfortable with something on your head in hot weather, then this may only work for you on colder days.

Unfortunately, puffs are my favorite style too. And twists are a blast for me too coz I treat them like hair and do different things with them. I am sorry but I also just feel like drawing you a flower coz I can't really empathize since I'm never bored with my hair, so I can't really think of what else you can do. Maybe you should hit up Mandy4610"s album for styling ideas.

Nonie

No I don't really like the hat/wrap thing. Hats when my hair is straight. I like beanies in the winter. Wraps when I'm at home. Never worn a wig don't really want to. But thanks I will check into the album and some other places.

I just want to vent for a second because everyone elses suggestion would be to slap on a perm. .I have been completely natural for the past year. My hair is somewhere between sl and apl. I am at a point where I have no idea what to do with my Jair style wise. I don't want to straighten it. This is what I normally do when I don't know what else to do with it but I'm trying not to straighten do much. It only last a week or two anyway before it needs a wash or I just feel like wetting it conditioning it. I don't want any extension type style. I don't like how my braid outs twist outs Bantu knot outs come out. Wash n goes=too much shrinkage for my liking..most times has an awkward shape and I can never seem to get the product combo right. I had mini twists in actually for a month. They were alright but I don't really want those again right now. My go to style is a puff/pony but it's gotten to be do boring and plain to me. So...I really don't know what else to do...

I feel your pain. I've been there, I don't wear wigs, weaves or extensions either. I found a lot of style inspiration on youtube, here are some links to a few of my favorites:

http://youtu.be/8Mc1Z_jVIvc

http://youtu.be/QnjhJO07w8k

http://youtu.be/tlXcJhCpkJk

http://youtu.be/bU6TCah9n6c

http://youtu.be/gLKf6LVPOBY

http://youtu.be/p3u6zDyCv-U

http://youtu.be/nv3DH-0dMUM

http://youtu.be/hNqmvE4Gl1g

Yup, you're in that in between stage. I know it all too well. My solution is to put my hair away for a little while until inspiration hits me. That way it's safe from me doing something stupid to it.

But since you don't want to do wigs, extensions, hats, you're tired of your cute puff, your braid and twist outs fail, you've searched YT w/no luck and you don't want to straighten it, I'm only left with a few suggestions-

On failed twist/braid outs:
-Pin one side back
-Pin/braid the back up
-Form a hump in the front
-Pin it into a frohawk
-Pin everything up except one side
-Pin everythin up except the front
-Put it up into a curly puff (usually bigger than a WNG puff)
-Throw in one or two lines of cornrows/flat twists on one or both sides
-Find cute accessories to dress up your styles
-Rock the style anyway!! (I find that mine looks better as the day goes on)

Other style options:
-Find cute hair accessories!!
-Add color in a small section
-Large twists styled into an updo
-Mini braids (can be WNG and looks better as they get older)
-Cute cornrowed style
-Cute flat twist style
-Rollerset
-Straw set
-Bantu knots

Lastly:
-Curly weave
-Straight weave
-Natural weave
-Crochet/Latch hook braid styles

There are so many other options for styling. Each style doesn't look right with every outfit or occasion. Try to pick the right style for the outfit/occasion.

Also earrings make a HUGE difference! I don't wear makeup but I've seen it make a big difference as well.

There are waaay too many solutions not to see one. Perming or chopping are only two of them. GL :D

Last edited:
MzSwift said:
Yup, you're in that in between stage. I know it all too well. My solution is to put my hair away for a little while until inspiration hits me. That way it's safe from me doing something stupid to it.

But since you don't want to do wigs, extensions, hats, you're tired of your cute puff, your braid and twist outs fail, you've searched YT w/no luck and you don't want to straighten it, I'm only left with a few suggestions.

On failed twist/braid outs:
-Pin one side back
-Pin/braid the back up
-Form a hump in the front
-Pin it into a frohawk
-Pin everything up except one side
-Pin everythin up except the front
-Put it up into a curly puff (usually bigger than a WNG puff)
-Throw in one or two lines of cornrows/flat twists on one or both sides
-Find cute accessories to dress up your styles
-Rock the style anyway!! (I find that mine looks better as the day goes on)

Other style options:
-Find cute hair accessories!!
-Add color in a small section
-Large twists styled into an updo
-Mini braids (can be WNG and looks better as they get older)
-Cute cornrowed style
-Cute flat twist styel
-Rollerset
-Straw set
-Bantu knots

Lastly:
-Curly weave
-Straight weave
-Natural weave
-Crochet/Latch hook braid styles

There are so many other options for styling. Each style doesn't look right with every outfit or occasion. Try to pick the right style for the outfit/occasion.

Also earrings make a HUGE difference! I don't wear makeup but I've seen it make a big difference as well.

There are waaay too many solutions not to see one. Perming or chopping only two of them. GL :D

:clap: Great suggestions.

laurend85 I want to thank you for making this thread. Your post is me to a T. I'm at the same length, style challenged and only wear buns and puffs. It really is very boring and now its starting to wear on my temples. My twist outs are always failed attempts. And I try to do mini two strand twists to last for a month, but I'm really still trying to learn it.

I'm also not a fan of weaves, wigs, etc. For some reason, I have this thing about fake hair. Don't ask why. But lately I've been beginning to think that I may just have to suck it up and get a wig since I can't seem to think of or do anything else.

Nonie- Draw Something is a mobile app where you are given a term like 'werewolf' and have to draw it. Another party you are paired with has to guess it. If they guess correctly you both get gold coins. Technology is amazing! The coins you can use to buy more colors to add to your palette -you start with only 4 colors. It is fun and addictive. There used to be a game show or board game years ago that did this.

OP: yesterday after my workout I rocked an afro. I thought *** this, I am letting it all hang out. I cowshed. Tension dried with a little rapeseed oil. Placed a 2-strand flat twist up at the front side of my face and stuck a flower in it. I felt free as a bird. I felt I looked good and that was that. Can I tell you how many compliments I got on that 'fro? The only thing is that it was my mushroom day (day of research and lab work-in the dark with my 'scope). I can't rock a fro in my everyday. I have to blend (as much as I can) and I wear a bouffant/surgical cap (great hide your hair days). Yesterday did feel good tho'. I find it hard to feel polished with my twist outs/puffs. I am sure that is just a mind thing. Continuing to watch your thread.

I in no way want to make any chemical changes to my hair, but I do feel like you OP and I am a little tired of it at the moment, so I put it away. The pic below is what I did. I think I may re-do this style for the next 2 wash days (2-3 weeks)...just an option.

34fjihd.jpg

KCcurly said:
OP have you tried fingercoils? Have you tried doing your twist out/braid outs differently (wet vs dry, etc)

KCcurly I haven't tried fingercoils don't think I would know how. I've tried twist/braid outs wet vs dry but with similar results.

tmhuggiebear said:
laurend85 I want to thank you for making this thread. Your post is me to a T. I'm at the same length, style challenged and only wear buns and puffs. It really is very boring and now its starting to wear on my temples. My twist outs are always failed attempts. And I try to do mini two strand twists to last for a month, but I'm really still trying to learn it.

I'm also not a fan of weaves, wigs, etc. For some reason, I have this thing about fake hair. Don't ask why. But lately I've been beginning to think that I may just have to suck it up and get a wig since I can't seem to think of or do anything else.

tmhuggiebear I had a full sew in this time last year and before that crochet braids. I've thought about doing those but for some reason I just don't want to.

westNDNbeauty said:
I in no way want to make any chemical changes to my hair, but I do feel like you OP and I am a little tired of it at the moment, so I put it away. The pic below is what I did. I think I may re-do this style for the next 2 wash days (2-3 weeks)...just an option.

westNDNbeauty I thought you had a sew in? That style is cute! I may attempt it but I don't know if the bun on top would be as big. I can't flat twist or corn row either though :(. What was your process for this style?

@westNDNbeauty I thought you had a sew in? That style is cute! I may attempt it but I don't know if the bun on top would be as big. I can't flat twist or corn row either though :(. What was your process for this style?

I did have one in. Kept it in for a full month. Even though I was cleansing weekly, one day my scalp just went haywire and I got my sis to take it out. My scalp needed to breath! But it definitely could have lasted another full month. That was a quality sew in job.

I have a youtube tutorial called "Twists Galore" which shows how to do the style and then I just put it in a bun. I'd link, but I think that may be against the rules since I have a blog. But someone else can link.

westNDNbeauty said:
I did have one in. Kept it in for a full month. Even though I was cleansing weekly, one day my scalp just went haywire and I got my sis to take it out. My scalp needed to breath! But it definitely could have lasted another full month. That was a quality sew in job.

I have a youtube tutorial called "Twists Galore" which shows how to do the style and then I just put it in a bun. I'd link, but I think that may be against the rules since I have a blog. But someone else can link.

westNDNbeauty I found it. Did you blow-dry your hair first?

OP, I live in braid outs pulled in a bun and often style the front in different ways including a 1940's (PinUp Girl) style fringe/bang styled with or without a 'hair rat'.

Watch this lady's youtube vids.....I'm really into this style for my hair now. Just adjust the bang size to suit you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEvBn4pEtXg&feature=BFa&list=ULZvdoAd6Akn4

I know you said you don't like the way your braid outs look but maybe it's the products and/or technique you are applying. It took me 2 years to figure out how to make my braid outs look great. I also know that twist outs are not for my hair.

I do my braids on very wet hair. I don't use any products that contain glycerin and I heavily seal before braiding with my beloved Castor Oil/Almond Oil mix.
I also cornrow the hairline which makes that area nice and defined when undone.

Granted it takes a day and half for my hair to fully dry but the cornrowed area dries very quickly and so I undo that, style it and wear a beany hat until the rest has dried.

The last time I used heat was nearly a year ago and as time has gone by my braid outs look better and better as my hair is not as thirsty or damaged.

Last edited:
Back