I'm Transitioning

tyrablu

After having a relaxer for the past 4 years, I am going back natural.

But I need help ladies:

I want to get braids because my hair is short (think Victoria Beckham bob, but a shorter) so braidouts, twistouts, etc are out of the question. I have been doing roller sets, however I am about 11 weeks post so the manipulation of the hair is causing alot of breaking and shedding.

The only thing is that I have 4a/b hair that is very fine and thin, so braids I know will thin my hair out (at least the relaxed portion) because I am transitioning that should not be that much of a problem. Am I wrong to think so?

And if I do get braids what is the best way to take care of my hair while its in braids so to lower the risk of damage?

TIA

I was looking into the transitioners support thread but...

Have you thought about wearing a lace front instead of geting braids? With successive braiding, the cost of getting a wig may be less than the cost of braiding...and it won't thin out your hair.

Have you thought about wearing a lace front instead of geting braids? With successive braiding, the cost of getting a wig may be less than the cost of braiding...and it won't thin out your hair.

Actually I never really thought about getting a lace front/wig cause I really don't know that much about them:perplexed.

I would like to explore all options.

After having a relaxer for the past 4 years, I am going back natural.

But I need help ladies:

I want to get braids because my hair is short (think Victoria Beckham bob, but a shorter) so braidouts, twistouts, etc are out of the question. I have been doing roller sets, however I am about 11 weeks post so the manipulation of the hair is causing alot of breaking and shedding.

The only thing is that I have 4a/b hair that is very fine and thin, so braids I know will thin my hair out (at least the relaxed portion) because I am transitioning that should not be that much of a problem. Am I wrong to think so?

And if I do get braids what is the best way to take care of my hair while its in braids so to lower the risk of damage?

TIA

I was looking into the transitioners support thread but...

Congradulations on your decision to go natural. Here is a website that answers the question that I bolded in your original post. This is a great website that shows you how to take care of your hair while still in braids. I hope that this helps.

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/

Hi, I am currently transitioning, december 23rd will be 1 year since my last relaxer. For the first couple of months into my transition I wore my hair in spiral curls and straw sets because that work well in hiding my new growth. I am now wearing a wig for my daily style. what I do is braid, plait or twist my hair underneath my wig cap for the week and I am good to go. You should look into a wig, because you can still take care of your hair without the hassle of braids. HTH

Back