I'm transitioning & my hair is shedding. YIKES!!!!!!

To offer some comfort to the OP... I'm going on 8 months post, and I shed the MOST during the first 3-4 months. I was so nervous, as it was more shed hair than I ever released. However now, its slowed down now as my transition progressed. During the 3-4 months time frame I stopped shedding by braiding and wearing wigs for 1-2week at a time. It helped give my hair a chance to just grow and not manipulate it. I also deep condition with every wash using WEN and included a protein treatment (2 min re-constructor or Nexxus Emergency) during that 3-4 month time frame. Hang in there!!

Had the same problem - hair shedding all over the place - see-through relaxed ends.

Chopped it all off and now no more shedding - do it girl. You won't regret and your natural roots will thank you for it. :grin:

I am at 19 weeks and I am going to go get a press and curl. Took my braids out. Major shrinkage. i flat iron my hair sunday night and by thursday or friday I have no hair. lol After I blowdry and wash, hair reappears again. :yep:

I will probably big chop in another month or 2.

I think I will chop it off. I think....

I'm cutting my hair tonight GL. So you're not alone if you decide to chop it off.

I'm just over looking at my trash can filled with hair everytime I try to put my hair in ponytail. The front is easy to manage, but the crown and back are SUPER THICK. So thick it feels matted if I don't pick it out every other day.

But I'm excited. DC's humid summers, wash and gos, and hot yoga here I come!

I'll have pics up hopefully tomorrow so you can check it out.

Last edited:
When I first wanted to transition my hair was shedding and breaking crazy so I decided to relax it. Once I relaxed it I immediately felt defeated so I decided to do it again. Which is when I found this board.

Now I am not the queen on moisturizing and dont even do it like I should if at all but when I found out that I needed to deep conditioner it was all good. Then I kinda built me a mini regimen which is: I co-washed 2x maybe 3x a week and deep conditioned at least twice a week. I straighten my hair so thats a set back within itself but im dealing with it. I use a Motions spray on heat protectant when I blow dry (if I dont air dry) and Sally's generic version the Chi's Silk Infusium. During the week I just apply coconut oil to my ends.

Now I am 11 months and 2.5 weeks from my last relaxer and my hair may not be in the best shape but its definitely better than when I first tried. I have kept my length for the most part besides a few trims here and there.

Last edited:
Back