I'm sold on wet sets...

nita4

I\'m sold on wet sets...

This weekend I decided to shampoo, condition, blow dry, curl with an iron and go. I was in a "hurry" and wanted to wear my hair out...mistake... I was totally self conscious about my hair - it was hard on the ends, dry looking and didn't even look healthy from conditioning treatments. And to top it off...it stunk from using that blasted curling iron!! I was so embarrassed. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

When I got home I immediately re-shampooed, conditioned and wet set my hair. This was my second attempt at wet setting, I was using the weekends to practice.

Well...thanks to all of you ladies who gave instructions and shared your trial and error stories...I read every post and took notes.

I just wanted share...that I came out with a beautiful set. My hair was soft, my ends smooth, it looked healthy, it had a natural shine and it felt good. And...best of all it didn't stink... I received compliments. It felt wonderful!!! I won't use that curling iron again!!

Re: I\'m sold on wet sets...

I know how you feel. I tried blowdrying once after stopping for awhile...I got the same dried look...even though it didn't feel dry(apparently it was though). I haven't blowdried in almost 2 years. I don't know why I felt I needed one either. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I braid my braids whilst damp to get a crinkly/wavy pattern all over which looks great if I do say so myself. The effect is a lot better for me and healthier on the hair too.

Sweetcoca, I'm giving up that blowdryer too. It didn't feel dry, but it sure looked dry. I've put to much time into my hair for it to look that way. Funny thing is, it probably looked that way bhc (before hair care) and I just didn't notice it.

LondonDiva, as soon as my hair gets longer and I perfect the twist and braid out, I think that will be one of my main hair styles along with a roller set. Both are healthier on the hair. I just can't see myself abusing my hair any longer with bad maintenance practices.

another thing about the braidout wet sets is that i can go for weeks without having to use a comb at all! i just use my fingers and go, go, go!!

/images/graemlins/grin.gifah! i'm too good!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

i'm glad it worked for you, nita, but i tried doing this last week, and i gotta say i absolutely HATED it! i wanted to cut my hair by the time i was done. i know practice makes perfect, but i don't want to get good at this. if i can't get someone else to do it, it won't be done. what a waste of money on all those rollers and clips and stuff. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

i won't be throwing my blow dryer away any time soon...

adrienne

Nooooo adrienne....don't throw the rollers and clips away. Practice on dry hair and if you can, go to the dominicans and really watch them. Its really easy once you get the hang of it.

Adrienne,

Exactly what went wrong with your attempt at roller setting your own hair? You could always get someone else to roll your hair (then the money you spent on rollers, clips and stuff won't be considered a waste). If I want my hair nice and straight or nice and curly, I have to have it roller set. My hair would just die if I put a blow dryer, curling iron or a flat iron on it (since it's been ages). Sorry it didn't work out for you.

allandra, i used the fine tooth comb to get the hair straight. i did actually learn technique from the woman at the salon. it was probably because i was tired. remember my long sunday at work? i made the mistake of doing it anyway. by the time i got to the back, i started eyeing the blow dryer. THEN having to wait for it to dry. i was SO irritated. basically i was acting like a big baby. lol! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

i will probably do what ami said and try it on dry hair just for practice. i don't plan to wear my hair down for quite a while now though since i got so carried away this time.

adrienne

Adrienne,

Yes girl. I remember your long Sunday at work. I didn't think you were still going to try a roller set that day since it was getting late, and you were still at work. I can definitely say that a roller set does take time (for those of us who don't do them often, who have very thick hair, and who have long hair - AND YOU WOULD FIT EACH OF THESE CATEGORIES - like myself). I have recommended to practice a little on dry hair because I was recommended that a while back. It does help (especially getting the hang of the silver clips). The silver clips may have always been easy/simple to some, but it was NOT for me WHEN I FIRST TRIED THEM OUT. Even when I used the snap on covers, it would still take me quite a bit of time. Now that I can do a great job at rolling my hair, I don't do roller sets often. LOL.

Back