im so confused

babs19

I just want to give up! everytime i move one steop 4wards i go 10 steps back.:wallbash:
i do not no what else i can do but my hair seems to be getting worse and worse, its breaking uncontrollably every time i use protein it feels to hard when i use moisture the ends snap off. when my hair is wrapped it gived the illusion of being healthy but once all the product is washed off and it is air dried it just feels like crap!:sad:

i deep condition on sundays with ao hsr which i love
i co wash every other day with motions moisture plus i think its called
i use mango butter on my ends which iis a love hate thing.
i clarify every week when i DC with creamy aloe
and use organics hair mayonaise leave in its ok but i no i can find better
i tried aphogee 2 min but its like it was too much so i used motions cpr on 1 co wash a week and i try to seal but it just makes my hair feel greasy

pls pls pls can you give me some advice into what i am doing wrong and recommend some good products that have given you succes from damage, dry hair

TIA

Seems like you're clarifying too often luv. Try cutting it down to maybe just once a month and maybe an acv/cold water rinse to seal the hair cuticle after you dc (lock that moisture in).

Other veterans I'm sure will chime in.

HTH

ETA: I too tried mango butter and my hair hated it...it was the protein in it (silk) and something else even tho I can't remember what right now. Also I'm not sure but if your Motions Moisture has protein in it too - you may also be suffering from protein overload that with apogee/cpr and mango butter too much.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but I think you're clarifying too much. I'm sure the other ladies will come and chime in.

Seems like you're clarifying too often luv. Try cutting it down to maybe just once a month and maybe an acv/cold water rinse to seal the hair cuticle after you dc (lock that moisture in).

HTH

We posted at the same time. lol

I just want to give up! everytime i move one steop 4wards i go 10 steps back.:wallbash:
i do not no what else i can do but my hair seems to be getting worse and worse, its breaking uncontrollably every time i use protein it feels to hard when i use moisture the ends snap off. when my hair is wrapped it gived the illusion of being healthy but once all the product is washed off and it is air dried it just feels like crap!:sad:

i tried aphogee 2 min but its like it was too much so i used motions cpr on 1 co wash a week and i try to seal but it just makes my hair feel greasy

pls pls pls can you give me some advice into what i am doing wrong and recommend some good products that have given you succes from damage, dry hair

TIA

Hi Babs. Hang in there! It sounds like you might be using too much protein...too often. When I was new here, I had trouble finding the right protein-moisture balance, too. I say back off of the protein completely and then slowly add light leave-ins that have some protein. And maybe only wash (or cowash and deep condition) your hair twice a week for a while. See how that goes.

Are you natural or relaxed?

TIA

And thats your problem right there! Too much protein, love. You're in a protein overload right now. Use only moisturizing products for a few weeks or a month and your breakage problem will subside.

Last edited:
Hi Babs. Hang in there! It sounds like you might be using too much protein...too often. When I was new here, I had trouble finding the right protein-moisture balance, too. I say back off of the protein completely and then slowly add light leave-ins that have some protein. And maybe only wash (or cowash and deep condition) your hair twice a week for a while. See how that goes.

Are you natural or relaxed?

i am relaxed, i only relaxed in september becuase i got weak when turning natural :sad: all i want is healthy hair , is that too much to ask

And thats your problem right there! Too much protein, love. You're in a protein overload right now. Use only moisturizing products for a few weeks or a month and your breakage problem will subside.

thanks for the advice, i will try this:yep:

HTH

ETA: I too tried mango butter and my hair hated it...it was the protein in it (silk) and something else even tho I can't remember what right now. Also I'm not sure but if your Motions Moisture has protein in it too - you may also be suffering from protein overload that with apogee/cpr and mango butter too much.

My hair also HATED the mango butter.

I agree with the others...too much protein...please step away from the protein products including the mango butter!!!!!

The ladies gave great advice. Decrease the clarifying, decrease the amount of protein you use, and increase the moisture.

Good luck!

ETA: I also threw out the Elasta QP Mango Butter. I had high hopes for it too.

i am relaxed, i only relaxed in september becuase i got weak when turning natural :sad: all i want is healthy hair , is that too much to ask

It will turn around. We've all been there. :yep:

I learned from another relaxed lady who has fine hair like mine to use chelating shampoo relatively often to remove the build up of calcium and other minerals from the hair. No-lye ladies especially need to do this.

I use Ojon's Detoxifying Shampoo about once a week (or every other week depending on how my hair feels). There are many good ones mentioned here. Run a search for suggestions. Make sure you follow with a good deep conditioner.

My hair can not take heavy protein treatments, like Aphogee. And when I use henna, I have to make it a really thin consistency. So I've only done it once or twice in the last three years.

My favorite protein treatment is pure silk protein (sericin) from Aurora Silk (http://www.aurorasilk.com/botanicals/silk_shampoo.html). Saturate hair that is already wet, then massage gently. This will create a light lather. Leave on for 4 minutes or so, rinse well then follow with your regular moisturizing shampoo or/and conditioner. It is perfect for gentle protein treatment.

Another treat for your hair is coconut cream. You can find it at any grocery store in the Asian or Mexican food aisle. Saturate your damp hair with it as a prepoo then cover with a plastic cap and leave on for 30 minutes or more. Then wash it out condition and go on with your routine. It leaves the hair smooth and soft.

Remember not to layer protein-filled products.

I hope this helps.

These ladies have given good advice.

You know it could be the products you're using. My favorite products as a relaxed head were Paul Mitchell's Instant Moisture Shampoo and Instant Moisture Daily Treatment (Conditioner). For protein, maybe you could try ORS Mayo? Or ORS Replenishing Conditioner?

Try to be mindful of ingredients also which could attribute to your hair issues.

I hope you find something that works!

ITA with the ladies, it definitely sounds like protein over load. For now just concentrate solely on putting the moisture back. PLEASE lay off the protein for now. :orders:STEP AWAY FROM THE PROTEIN! Let us know what you'll decide to use to make sure your going in the right direction. Best of wishes and keep us posted.

TIA

Try Dropping the Mango Butter and Use their Recovery instead, Try no clarifying weekly and use a moisturizing shampoo instead or CoWashing, Try a good natural oil on your ends, such as Olive or coconut etc

Mayonaise leave in might be protein, Cpr is protein, drop that CPR weekly too

thank you for the advice ladies. what other good moisturisers can i use? i have not found one that is moisturising enough yet and also what leave in, and what would be a good conditioner for co-washes? i want to try more hair friendly ingredients. and is it still good to use the AO hsr for DC. sorry so many questions...and can i DC twice a week ?

thank you for the advice ladies. what other good moisturisers can i use? i have not found one that is moisturising enough yet and also what leave in, and what would be a good conditioner for co-washes? i want to try more hair friendly ingredients. and is it still good to use the AO hsr for DC. sorry so many questions...and can i DC twice a week ?

Hello! I am really in a rush so I must be very brief. I will come back later and post links and things. There is a line (originally designed for damaged Asian hair that is permed, relaxed, bleached, put into braids (yes, our kinds of braids... they do crazy things there), etc. that I began using last year.

It is SO moisturizing I suffered from sever over moisturized hair that caused a lot of breakage after some months. (That was before I knew about overconditioning).

Using the line's products ahs helped me recover from protein overload in the past though. It's called Asience and the cheapest site that sells it is Sasa.com. I will post a link later (less than $7 a bottle, I think).

I used the original series last year, which is gold. For my protein overload, I used the moisturizing series, which is the silver. Fixed everything in a jiffy. I usually use natural products in my hair, but I've never found a line my hair likes better, honestly.

I think SaSa has the moisture condish available. Only thing about it is that if your hair doesn't need a LOT of moisture, it can leave things a little oily, but I like oil, and it is perfect when I have a protein overload. :yep:

One thing that has greatly reduced my breakage is applying a small amount castor oil on my wet hair, especially the ends. I've been doing this for a week after co-washing and my breakage has been reduced sooo much!! I think you should try this. :yep:

TIA

Ist bolded I think thats too often to use a chelating shampoo. try using it once a month or twice a month the most. try using a shampoo without any sulfates, so your hair wont dry out

2nd this has cones so if you are using it every other day it might cause buildup

I think both of these will make your dryness worse, which will lead to more breakage..

Back