I'm scared to post, but I have a question. . .

I don't know why I always feel so intimidated coming into this forum! Lol. Anyway, I am 100% natural as of March something (don't remember). I am pretty sure my hair type is 4b (really tight 'curls') and I have about 1 inch of hair. Problem is, my hair is sooooo dry! It's very coarse as well. I see all the beautful natural pictures and I am jealous. I moisturize my hair everyday with this:
1216774721-56782_full.jpg

But it stays moist for about 15 minutes, and then is completely dry after. Also, my hair is matting as well. When I wake up, it's all smashed onto my head. :wallbash: Please help me fix my [non-exisistent] regimen.

Have you ever tried cowashing? That and baggying has given my hair alot of moisture. My hair use to be very dry, but I find those two things worked very well for me.

How often do you deep condition and do you seal in the moisture when you moisturize daily. Also, how's your water intake.

I'm going through the same problem right now too. I have been natural for 2 years now and this is the first time I've worn my hair out. Before this it has been in braids. I suggest you search the threads for the following to see how they've worked for other ladies here:

1. Qhemet Alma and Olive heavy cream and Burdock Root from Qhemet Biologics

2. Hairveda products

I just ordered some of these today, but I have not tried these yet. However, the ladies on this board give them rave reviews. By the way, both are all natural. Hope that helps a little.

I agree with co-washing with an inexpensive conditioner like VO5 or Suave to help with maintaining moisture in your hair.

Don't be scared...we're here to help!

I agree with baggying. I also would moisturize with water (or a combination like distilled water or rose water and a few drops of glycerin.) Then I would seal with the olive oil stuff.

what kind of shampoo do you use? and post up the ingredients of the moisturizer. I'm currently using olive oil aloe vera gel, it's good

Well, when I wake up my hair is all smashed to my head as well, I think that's to be expected if it's worn out at night. Right now, all you can do is put on a bonnet and go to bed. You are doing that right?

As far as moisture, I really don't think that ORS product is very moisturizing, but that's just me. You need to make sure that you are conditioning well. I would make a mix of some natural ingredients that are known to provide moisture (and penetrate the strand, which is what you need): honey, olive oil, and coconut oil. You could add some aloe vera juice in there as well. Or just use any conditioner that you find moisturizing, a few times a week.

At night you could also baggy the way Nonie does. Just put on a plastic cap, no products, and take it off in the morning. I've done this a few times and it worked out really well for me. It really kept my hair from drying out overnight.

I would recommend clarifying to remove any buildup that might currently be on your hair, blocking moisture from getting in. I would then Deep Condition with a super moisturizing conditioner with Heat and use some Porosity Control. Your dryness could be stemming from a Porosity issue. Because my hair is so dry and damaged and overly porous, I always DC with Heat.

My hair is also super dry. And incorporating DC treatments into my regimen and trying to correct my hair's porosity has really helped my hair not be so dry. As the above poster mentioned, baggying also helps. A Moisturizer with an Water Base instead of a heavy oil base may help as well. And you could always try Coconut Oil and/or EVOO or Avacado Oil which all penetrate the hair's Cortex and relieve dryness.

Last edited:
I find that moisturizer to not be very moisturizing.. I gave it to my dad who has about 1/3" of hair :look:. Try and find a less oily moisturizer and use a sealer on top of it to keep the moisture in :yep:. I like using DC as leave-ins (less is more!) like Silk Elements MegaSilk. I want to try LustraSilk Shea Butter DC (really cheap) and I've heard great things about Hawaiian Silky 14in1 (once i get out of these braids! But I used it on my sister and it worked great). Then seal with a good oil like castor oil :yep:. You don't have to use these products in particular.. but I've found that its better to get a separate moisturizer and sealer rather than have a moisturizer and oil sealer in one.

HTH!

Have you ever tried cowashing? That and baggying has given my hair alot of moisture. My hair use to be very dry, but I find those two things worked very well for me.

i agree..washing with a conditioner has done wonders for my hair during my transition. also, I think that moisturizer has mineral oil in it which coats the hair shaft and could keep needed moisture out (or keep it in a dry state). Try an oil that penetrates the hair shaft (like coconut or jojoba or olive - at least I think olive oil penetrates) Anywhoo, I also use shea butter bc it's like a paste and it gives my porous, wiry, coarse hair manageablity. It also adds a lot of moisture back at the end of the day.

I personally use coconut oil first and then shea butter to seal and control and that's it after I co-wash. I usually use some type of herbal rinse to co-wash and am avoiding silicones as my hair is appearing not to need them. I use raw unrefined shea butter as it has a little protein in it as well (and some minerals), so I am not just getting a moisture overload. my hair has never looked and behaved better than with using these two products.

HTH

I don't know why I always feel so intimidated coming into this forum! Lol. Anyway, I am 100% natural as of March something (don't remember). I am pretty sure my hair type is 4b (really tight 'curls') and I have about 1 inch of hair. Problem is, my hair is sooooo dry! It's very coarse as well. I see all the beautful natural pictures and I am jealous. I moisturize my hair everyday with this:
1216774721-56782_full.jpg

But it stays moist for about 15 minutes, and then is completely dry after. Also, my hair is matting as well. When I wake up, it's all smashed onto my head. :wallbash: Please help me fix my [non-exisistent] regimen.

CCB, please do not feel intimidated. The forum is a good place to find help for your hair and sometimes other concerns. I feel you on the dryness, took me a while to find solutions during transition. I now use EQYSS AVOCADO nearly every day then apply a leave-in sealed with amla lite or another oil. I baggy my whole head at night with Eqyss or NEXXUS leave-in followed by a mixture of shea/jojoba/coconut with some MSM mixed in it then remoisturize with Eqyss every morning then the leave-in and an oil. I have found ORS REPLENISHING CONDITIONER to be a great deep conditioner followed by the same daily routine. Takes a while for your hair to understand you mean it: "Hey you..retain that moisture!" Continue doing it daily until your hair responds as it will in time. Please do a quickie braid or twist at night, wear a silk scarf to reduce mats. Do not give up sometimes products need repeated applications to respond.

I want to add my .05 cents in this if I may! I have tried so many different products on my hair and sometimes you are going to have to keep experimenting to find what works best for you. Now with that being said and I won't even begin to mention the list of products I've tried. But now what I am using after I wash and dc are the s curl moist. and the HS 14 in 1, but when I used them every day my hair still felt like straw in the ends especially and matted, so I tried the jamaicon black castor oil. What I did I oiled my scalp with it and combed it through! And I must say my hair is very soft to the touch and no more straw head for me. Oh, I forgot to add I do wear a plastic cap every night to bed!

Since my bc in Nov 08 which has left me with about .5 inches of hair my hair is thriving! It's long enough now that I section it off and am sporting tiny bantu knots. I only oil my hair now when my scalp is dry. And only wash once a wk. Some don't like the oil in their scalps but my scalp soaks it up and is extremely dry so I have to oil! My hair is the healthiest it's been in quite a while. But if you don't like the oily feeling then maybe you can just oil your scalp just once a wk opposed to when it becomes dry. This is only a suggestion, but it is working for me and very well I must add.

In closing you must remember every product out there that's meant for natural hair does not all work the same for everyone. Hope this helps!

I definitely agree with all the ladies that suggested cowashing often, and deep conditioning. Maintaining moisture in your hair is almost crucial for the health and manageability of your hair. HTH!

I had the same problem but what has helped me is DCing with heat using conditioner, oils and porosity control. My hair feels so much better. I dont have to moisturize as much because it is not as dry. Also make sure you clarify to remove build up Also I am 4b natural so I know how you feel. Happy Growing

Sooo OT but OP, your skin is so pretty! and cutenaynay, haven't seen you since that NY meetup last fall. you BC'd? your hair is gorgeous girl

Hi CCB:

The minute I saw the word Olive Oil I was like "That's why your hair is hard!" OK, I'm biased coz EVOO made my hair hard. It wasn't ORS though. Just plain ol' extra virgin olive oil and it kinda put me off oils (although I do toss flirtatious glances at coconut oil every now and then, and when Msa isn't looking I flirt with her Castor oil. So maybe one day I might have an affair with them, but for now, oils are not my friend).

So you've gotten good advice, DCing is the most important. If your hair is moisturized, it will be soft. Then when I wore my TWA out, I applied S Curl (HS 14 was my sub if I was without S Curl) and then baggied. Baggying every night meant I didn't need to apply more and my hair stayed moisturized. Not applying more meant no build up. As for getting a flat head, that never happened to me because all my life, as long as I had hair long enough to get a flat head, I would plait my hair for the night. Not only will you not have a flat head, but combing in the morning will be so easy. Hair will be slightly stretched so a comb glides through easily and there will be no tangles or knots. The moisture from baggying also provides slip...and the S Curl will keep your hair looking beautiful, feeling soft...without being oily/sticky/gross.

To give you an example of the difference S Curl makes, check out my mom's hair before S Curl. It was dry and rough to touch:
HeatDamagedHair-vi.jpg

After shampooing and conditioning with Elucence and applying S Curl (this might have been day 2 ie after the wash*), her hair was as soft as it looks:
MomsSCurledHair-vi.jpg

*I said that might be day 2 because the day you wash your hair and towel dry, and apply S Curl, your hair will feel soft but as the water dries it might feel a bit hard/dry. So just apply some more at bed time, plait your hair and baggy. You won't need to apply anymore till wash day. Just be sure to baggy every night.

Well ORS to me is a good product line. However I prefer the ORS Olive creme in the jar, than the one in the bottle. The ORS olive oil creme in the jar, is very moisturizing to me. I apply it at night to my ponytail at night in the morning, my ponytail is very soft and moisturize and bouncy, it don't weight my hair down at all. Also to add it do have mineral oil in it...FYI.. I love it though. The ORS lotion in the bottle, I used it one time and threw it out, I didn't care for it, cause it didn't do anytihng for my hair.

As far as moisture, I really don't think that ORS product is very moisturizing either, but that's just me. I also agree that the olive oil is making your hair hard.
Usually when your hair is too dry, it is a product issue.

Try aussie moise conditioner for cowashing and then use some mango butter or pure shea butter or aloe butter as a moisturizer.

Oh - and don't feel intimidated. We love helping each other in this forum.

One of the most valuable things I learned is to invest in a good shower filter. For years hard water with all the stuff in it kept it rough and breaking.
Now I notice when the filter needs to be changed because my scalp will itch and my hair will not act the same. The moisture is stripped right out due to the chlorine or other stuff the water is treated with.
Good luck

ooh no i used that olive oil lotion before and it worked for like 1 month then started drying my hair out! now i use Sheabutter/Coconut Oil mix and Vegetable Glycerin mixed with water! That helps me.

Don't be scared!! As you can see, you have gotten many helpful responses, these ladies love helping people!

Here are some things that helped me with dryness. Some may not apply to you in these early stages and a lot of them have been listed already. Good luck to you and let us know if things improve!

http://newlynatural.com/blog/?p=297

Co-sign on conditioning washing and you may want to try a product that includes glycerine to act as an humectant and draw moisture to the hair.

Hi :wave
Co-signing with a lot of the suggestions...
Qhemet Alma and Olive heavy cream really works great as well as S-Curl. Also sleeping with a satin/silk bonnet or scarf retains moisture as well.

Have you been
acquainted
with shea butter and glycerin?
Makes your feel
like soft cotton.
I use this mixture on my nieces
hair...
:yep:

Back